Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a bit worried about my dog Henry. For the past few days, he seems to be really really tired. Granted he does play with dogs every day but it seems a little too much.

Yesterday, we had friends over with two dogs and that was obviously very exciting and we all went to sleep at around midnight. Apart from his morning food and walk, he was sleeping and resting basically non-stop until 2pm.

Then, at 2pm, he went to my friends house to play with her dog and they stayed together until 7pm at which point I fed him and took him out for a quick pee. He has been sleeping non stop since we came back for about 1.5 hours.

I am starting to get worried... He did have an ear infection last week which has been treated and cleared up by our vet. He eats normally although he did have soft stools later today. Not diarrhea but a little softer than usual. I know it is hot outside but our apartment is air conditioned.

I am worried that it might be his diet. He is on Honest Food base (Kindly) with cooked ground turkey. Very little variety because he is allergic to a lot of stuff. He does seem to have lost a bit of weight but I think it's from being very active and playing with dogs.

He has been vaccinated for Lyme Disease and is up to date on everything including fleas and worm prevention.

Is there such a thing as overplaying? He does still get excited when he sees other dogs and will go on walks but just seems to want to sleep all day.

Any advice would be great, I am starting to get a little concerned.

Thank you!
Deborah

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
How old is your pup and was that a lot more activity than he normally gets? Puppies do sleep a lot. Is he eating and drinking and eliminating normally?

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,716 Posts
How old is Henry?
If it's hot out when you are walking him or when he's playing with other dogs, the heat will take it out of him.

If you have any concerns about his health, you may want to have your Vet check him out and do a blood work up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Henry is 2.5 years old and eating and drinking normally. In terms of activity, 2 months and a half ago, we moved into a building with a dog park in the building so he does have a lot more stimulation and fun than usual.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I agree with Carolina Mom. It never hurts to check with the vet. It could be nothing but at least you'll know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,566 Posts
It sounds like to me he just got more exercise than usual. Give him a few days of rest. If he isn't back to normal after a couple of days of his usual routine then you could see the vet.

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
It sounds like to me he just got more exercise than usual. Give him a few days of rest. If he isn't back to normal after a couple of days of his usual routine then you could see the vet.
I agree with this. I find that when Shala spends several hours or days with her best friend, Sam, she is WAY more tired than normal. They play tons, and I believe it is both physical and mental exercise when they are playing because they are reading and sending signals constantly to each other, whereas when Shala is chasing a ball (for example) she doesn't really have to think (if that makes sense). Playing with other dogs is way more tiring. I'd also say, give him a day or two, and if he's not better, then maybe check in with your vet. But hopefully, he'll be okay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep an eye on him, maybe a day of rest without a lot of extra exercise and see how he is.

If eating, drinking or elimination habits change it's best to go and see the vet to check.

Nothing wrong with going too early.

Hope it all goes well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts