Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if my 9 and a half year old golden has just sore muscles or something else..

He has been stretching his back a lot, arching it upwards like a cat and pushing his nose towards ceiling while he does this, he does it every time after getting up. When he lies down, instead of lying he sort of just drops down with a bang, I often worry did he banged his head but he seems fine after it's the process of lying down that's tricky, he throws himself to the ground rather than easing into it. He has been doing this for months now and vet reckoned it's just old age but I think it's more than that.

I massage his back and it seems the problem could be around the shoulder blades as he wriggles his skin and muscles when I massage them but he enjoys it. But he also has a lump in the middle back, near spine but it's skin lump, and it's been there for years. A vet checked it recently took a sample and after that the spot grew bigger and that's when my dog first started stretching, as turned out later it was full of puss and was annoying him. The lump is still there but no puss but he still enjoys it when I gently squeeze it, even if nothing comes out.

Vet has said repeatedly it's just a lump nothing to worry about, and I don't think he is sore there, it's more around the shoulder blades.

He moves beautifully, no arthritis and runs like mad at the park, only lying down is troublesome and this constant stretching. He jumps on the bed and off, we have wooden floors so I also wondered if jumping off bed could be a reason?
Has anyone had this issue with their senior golden? Sorry about typos I'm writing this on an iPhone!

·
Noreaster
2,221 Posts
You're under 40, aren't you?

I'm kinda kidding, but that's what we older types do...we groan. We stretch. We have a glass of wine, okay, well I'm guessing your dog isn't doing that, but you understand what I'm saying.

Maybe back to the vet for some arthritis meds?

Reactions: murphy1

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Actually....
Rem is 9 months and Red is 2 and they flop down and grunt and then they LOVE a good stretch when they get up! Like a cat then like a play bow. :) hehe.... Seems like a golden to me. But I'm no expert, and I am so glad you're so perceptive and caring!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thanks for the input:) yes dogs do that I'm sure but Bailey does it constantly up to the point it's really catching my attention, he seems to have sore spot somewhere but I thought muscle tightness/ soreness would pass? He's been doing this for a while now so I wondered if there could be something else causing this. Vet trip is coming up soon but I feel I might change the vet, I'm a bit unsure about this one.

Glad to hear my boy is not only one although I feel he is sore and it bugs him. I might see if a dog masseuse could help. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My question, is your dog overweight? Some dogs will do this more when they are overweight and of course getting older, just like us humans.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Honestly, I'd take him to another vet for a second opinion. I don't like any growth that gets bigger, but even if that's not the source of the discomfort, something else is. He might have a bit of arthritis in his spine or something. And a little pain medication might help him a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts