Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have insurance on my 11 month old puppy. I got it thru pet plan. I also have a cat which I dont think I will insure as cats dont go to a vet all that much anyhow. But I also have an 8 yr old golden that is very healthy but I have no insurance on her. Do you think its too late to get insurance? I priced it on pet plan and a bronze package was $30. The gold plan has a death and injury reimbursement but being shes 8 yr old she wouldnt qualify for that anyhow I believe. I read my plan and thats only up to 8 yrs old they will qualify. So do you guys think it will be worth it for an 8 yr old dog?

Kim

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I just got insurance for my two, but they're six at the moment. My Cocker Spaniel lived to be 17. In her case though, I would have paid out more than I would have ever gotten back. She was a pretty healthy dog. My biggest fear is cancer, so this is why I got the insurance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats my biggest fear also. Since petplan does cover cancer at no additional charge I am thinking it might be worth it. She does have a bump under her neck which the dr has noted in his records. But since there is no apparant reason to do anythign now we havent. My first golden died at 12 from cancer. So maybe it might be a good thing to have.

Kim

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I have insurance VPI on two of my three dogs. The premiums were too high starting Max at an advanced age. She had already had a TPLO procedure and even if we had insured her she would not have had coverage for her second because they have to be insured for a full year before they have CCL repair coverage. So it would not have helped us.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Right now, I have Petplan as well, just on Lexi. I would like to look in to having it for all three of mine, but it is quite a bit for the three of them, even with the discount for multiple dogs. Petplan is the only plan I found, that covers an emergency C-section, should Lexi need it to deliver the puppies, or emergency delivery at an emergency hospital if there are complications. The bills add up unbelievably....if that is where you end up having to go in the middle of the night. After her first delivery, we made sure she was covered for it this time. At least it will help pay SOME of the costs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We use VPI and have nothing but good experience's with them. When we filed a claims they paid in a timely manner and with out hassles.

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
Just signed up for the 3rd level plan with PetSecure (used to be PetPlan) in Canada. Provides up to $5000 per accident, $5000 per illness per year, $400 per year for dental and $350 per year for special coverage.

With a $100 annual deductible, it is about $56/month.

http://www.petsecure.com/pet_insurance_plans/index.aspx

It even covers hip dysplasia and cruciate ligament problems (obviously you have to be insured before this occurs). We have always been worried about Wigss' hips as he paces (waddles) when he walks.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'm a firm believer in pet insurance... got my plan on Sam when he was 5 months old or so, and if I had an older adult dog I would definitely definitely get a policy for them as well!!!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
It even covers hip dysplasia and cruciate ligament problems (obviously you have to be insured before this occurs). We have always been worried about Wigss' hips as he paces (waddles) when he walks.
Just check your policy to see if there is a waiting period to cover either of the above conditions. I think Embrace's waiting period to cover Cruciate Ligament issues was a matter of a few months? Funny how I don't remember these details once the time period passes. :doh:

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
Just check your policy to see if there is a waiting period to cover either of the above conditions. I think Embrace's waiting period to cover Cruciate Ligament issues was a matter of a few months? Funny how I don't remember these details once the time period passes. :doh:
The waiting period was 48h for accident coverage and 2 weeks for illness coverage to avoid fraudulent claims.

·
SunKissed Goldens
975 Posts
Right now, I have Petplan as well, just on Lexi. I would like to look in to having it for all three of mine, but it is quite a bit for the three of them, even with the discount for multiple dogs. Petplan is the only plan I found, that covers an emergency C-section, should Lexi need it to deliver the puppies, or emergency delivery at an emergency hospital if there are complications. The bills add up unbelievably....if that is where you end up having to go in the middle of the night. After her first delivery, we made sure she was covered for it this time. At least it will help pay SOME of the costs.
This is interesting. I wasn't aware pet insurance companies would cover emergency c-sections. One of my girls had one in December and we ended up losing 8 puppies and it cost over $2,500!
I'm going to look into getting this insurance for my girls!

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Just check your policy to see if there is a waiting period to cover either of the above conditions. I think Embrace's waiting period to cover Cruciate Ligament issues was a matter of a few months? Funny how I don't remember these details once the time period passes.
It's six months unless you send them a letter from your Vet stating that there are no current issues with the cruciates. Then it drops to two weeks.

I also have embrace on three Newfs. The total coverage I chose is $200 deductible, $10,000 annual coverage (remember they're Newfs so they cost three times more for everything), 20% co-pay, continuous coverage (so they'll be covered when the policy renews with no pre-existing condition exclusions from anything they had in the previous policy period). For all three, we pay about $27 per month, per dog.

They cover genetic defects, as well as illness, or injury - plus cruciates. I didn't get the prescription plan, nor the dental plan. Although they are available if you want them.

They also pay for acupuncture, and other alternative medical treatments. I really like that. Another thing I really like about them is that they respond immediately. That's the main reason I chose them over PetPlan. When I initially contacted them, PetPlan took two weeks to respond.

There's also a copy of their policy on the site, so you can read it first. That's pretty rare.

If you have any questions...just call them. They're excellent. And if they don't know, they'll find out and call you back (or email you).

http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/Content/Learn/pet-insurance.aspx

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I have the dental, too. I should probably cancel it because I'm paying 30 something for each dog.

Thank you for the reminder, AG. I thought months were involved in the waiting period. I could have sent a letter, but didn't.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had to stop my insurance because it was just too dear for two dogs.
When Indy had his mast cell tumour removed it cost £250 which included the histology. No one could believe that price and thought it would be loads more, at least over £500.
I have a theory that my vet has 2 price lists, one for insured and one for uninsured.
Or perhaps he just takes pity on me rolling in in my tatty old van and second hand dogs! :wave:

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I did not have insurance with Sam, but I do with Ike. I started it when he was 3 months old. We started with the Bells and Whistles policy but dropped that after the first year and just carry catastrophic coverage with a cancer rider. Pretty much any emergency or needed surgery is covered. I added the cancer rider for additional coverage. I hope to never need it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts