Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Murphy seems to want to remain outside. I let him out in the back yard everyday, and everyday he stays longer and longer and it becomes harder and harder to get him to come back inside.
So I was wondering, should I get a dog house and let him stay outside?
(Right now, he climbs the boys slide and refuses to come down from the tower when he knows that it is time to come in).
We live in Tennessee and temps can drop down into the 20s for a few months during the winter. So is there a type of dog house that will keep him warm enough? I have looked into getting a dog house heater, but I am reading conflicting opinions. Some say they have to be used with an insulated dog house, others say that it will get too hot if I use an insulated house.
I am thinking that I may just let him stay outside on nights that are not too cold or wet, and bring him inside when the weather is extreme.
So I need advise from those of you who have outside pets.
What brand of dog house should I use? I want a good sturdy one.
Also, at what temp should I require him to sleep inside? And do the heaters work?

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
Honestly, you just need to teach him to come when you call, he should be inside at night. Temperatures get too cold, or any number of things could happen overnight while he is not supervised, or at least checked on for that long.

Make coming in fun for him, play, treats, etc.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I'm sure there will be more experienced golden owners react to your question, but there are a couple of things that come up in my mind: 1) Do you want an outside dog? My impression with goldens is that they are people dogs, so inside dogs. Don't you think it's more a question of him not having a great recall instead of really wanting to stay outside? 2) How old is he? I remember having seen more posts about him and from those I got the impression he's just a pup, but I may be mistaken. I would be concerned about a pup being outside all the time...

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
I live in CT where the temps can get quite cold. My dogs are inside at night but outside while I am at work during the day - they have a heated shed (actual enclosed wooden shed with a doggy door and a portable heater above their level on a protected shelf) and multiple dog houses so they can choose their own comfort level. I prefer wooden dog houses with raised flooring. 2 of the houses have covered porches with a window each, while the other 2 houses are heavy duty wood with slightly sloped roofs.

My personal cut off is 10 degrees without foul weather or heavy winds predicted in which case they are kept inside (which they hate btw). Again this is during the day when there is some solar heating; it is not safe in my area for dogs to be outside at night due to the wildlife.

Oh and this is within a fenced dog yard (24 by 50 or so) that is 6 feet high.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I'd never leave any of mine outside at night, or without supervision at any time. The other day I let one out right before we left, then forgot! He was in the backyard with a secure six foot wooden fence and a locked gate (and it was 70 degrees, sunny, and he had water and a covered porch) and I was in a complete frenzy of panic even though we were only gone for thirty minutes.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I would never under any circumstances leave my dogs outside overnight or even during the day unsupervised for any extended period of time. Goldens are not outdoor dogs. It sounds like he is just testing you. It's time to start working on training and recall. You are letting him control you and allowing him to stay outside all the time, which is not safe and overall not good for the dog. Training and establishing a solid recall is a must at this point. A dog house is not a solution. He needs to be inside at night.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
All 3 of our dogs are inside at night but outside during the day...they all have insulated houses (within our large shed). It's a struggle to get them inside (and keep them in) at night when the temperatures are warm....they love being outside.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I agree, it's not a good idea to make a golden an outside dog. They can do it, if they have a good doghouse but it's not good for them, they need their humans! Plus you never know, if he's not secure, if a gate gets left open or someone decides they like him...

Try feeding him when he comes in for the last time at night, or get some good treats, and let him out, call him into the house for a treat, then let him back out again. If you are bringing him in at night and putting him right into a crate he might be avoiding that, so make a 'bedtime routine' where he comes in and does some training, gets some attention and treats and then gets to go in his crate with more treats (or his dinner).

Lana

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't you think it's more a question of him not having a great recall instead of really wanting to stay outside? 2) How old is he? I remember having seen more posts about him and from those I got the impression he's just a pup, but I may be mistaken.
Yes, he is almost 6 months old, so still just a pup.
He knows "come" very well. Just when I try to get him to come back inside, he lays down and looks at me like "whatever! I am not finished playing yet, and nothing you can say will make me come back inside."
I have taken to letting him outside a few hours before meals just so I can lure him back in with his food.
I live in a subdivision with a fenced in yard that has been dog proofed. So far, except for playing tug of war with my crapemyrtle, he hasn't done anything destructive. He just goes out there and tosses his toys in the air and chases them. Or if the boys are outside, he chases after them. Also he seems to enjoy running up the slide and the sliding back down. And he acts like the play gym is his own personal amusement park - sleeps in the tower, slides on the slide, and digs in the sand box.
I guess he would be considered an inside/outside dog. When it was warm, I let him stay outside more than he was inside. Also, the breeder allowed them to roam in and out at will. So I guess that is a lot of the problem.
Do you think that he would be willing to come in at night on his own if I allow him to remain outside during the day? And if I do that, I still need to provide adaquate shelter.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I think an Igloo with a really nice comfy dog bed inside would be sufficient. My sister uses igloos for her dogs and our temps are close to yours.

If your yard isn't really, really escape proof you run the risk of him taking a midnight stroll. I think might be especially a possibility with a youngster.:(

I know when I was housetraining my last rescue ( 5yr old, 90 lb GR:uhoh:) I used small pieces of boiled chicken breast as his "go potty" treat. He only got it when he went potty outside. Chance loved chicken and it made housebreaking much easier. maybe you could find some truly special treat that your boy only gets when he comes in.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It's an age thing. Both of my boys gave me a hard time about coming in when they were that age. I started making sure I had some good treats and made it worth their while to come when I called them. Now they are 4 1/2 and 3 years old and they don't want to be outside unless I am out there with them. I might be having fun inside without them and they don't want to miss out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I couldn't keep my dog inside all day every day. I think she'd lose her mind. She LOVES going outside and running around! But other times she just goes potty then comes right back up to the door. She's left outside when we aren't home and she's been just fine.

We also have very cold weather and I have a wooden dog house that we've insulated. We got a small ceramic heater but then she chewed the extension cord and the cord to the heater :( We have to dog proof it more.. if.. we can... I put some wood down since the base of the house is cement.. i'd love to put another bed in there.. if.. she would stop shredding them. lol

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Yes, he is almost 6 months old, so still just a pup.
He knows "come" very well. Just when I try to get him to come back inside, he lays down and looks at me like "whatever! I am not finished playing yet, and nothing you can say will make me come back inside."
If he knew "come" very well, he would be inside within seconds of you telling him to "come".

I would definitely not leave a dog outside, alone, unsupervised at any age, not to mention just 6 months old! There are a lot of garden plants and trees that are poisonous/hazardous, wildlife (birds, owls, falcons, etc. to name just a few, can be quite vicious to a dog, digging under a fence, or someone coming into your yard and taking him away are just a FEW of the many things that could happen.

Use some of the advice from other posters to lure him inside with some delicious treats at night. Hope it goes well :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I live in the worlds safest neighborhood in the worlds safest town (really, I think we ranked like top 10 in america's best small towns) and no way would I leave my dogs outside either at night or unsupervised during the day. I let the dogs out the other night, walked upstairs to put the trash in the garage. Well, while I was in the garage I just decided to go ahead and load up all the other trash and take it to the dumpster at work. 20 minutes later I return home to 3 sets of eyes glowing in my headlights. I had left all three dogs out and totally forgotten about them! I felt terrible and they were freezing.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
20 minutes later I return home to 3 sets of eyes glowing in my headlights. I had left all three dogs out and totally forgotten about them! I felt terrible and they were freezing.
I've done that a couple of times. Usually it was Jasmine because she used to be stubborn about coming in. One day I remember going to the grocery store and when I pulled into the driveway, Jasmine was staring at me through the fence. She was awfully happy to see me get home!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
To be honest, he sounds bored. How often do you walk him, throw a dummy /ball etc for him, exercise him? He sounds like he is just entertaining himself.

Puppies that age need lots of attention and exercise. I also would never leave my golden outside for any extended period alone. People steal goldens, there are hundreds of things they could get into , hurt themselves etc.

Please I hope you can find an alternative : obedience training, walks, agility, doggie day care anything so he isn't living outside.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My Lhasa won't come inside if he thinks there's a chance I'm going to crate him. Very often I will let the other dogs in, get them settled, and then go out in the yard to get him. He's a little pain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest, he sounds bored. How often do you walk him, throw a dummy /ball etc for him, exercise him? He sounds like he is just entertaining himself.
To a certain extent, I think that he is bored too. But, we walk him at least 2x per day unless it is raining, and sometimes 3x. Plus, I go outside with him and play ball. Not to mention that he has my son who loves to have him in the back yard to play with. But my husband travels every other week for 3-4 days, and on those days I am simply not able to do enough on my own.
And although I do let him go outside by himself, I am always here. I never leave the house with him outside (stay at home mom who homeschools) and I can see him when he is outside because there are large windows along the hearth room, dining room and sunroom- which is where I am throughout the day. Plus we have security cameras that allow me to observe him from the TV, if I need to.
(Just saying all of that to stress that I would never leave him unsupervised).
He just seems to really like the outdoors and I feel that I have spoiled him over the summer. Now he acts like I am denying him his God given right to run and play.
Recently, I have only been letting him go out for no more than an hour at a time, because I am afraid that he will get too cold. After being used to having the entire morning and afternoon to run and play, he is not liking this.
I do use treats and meals to lure him in, but then he runs and slides into the back door anytime I move, hoping that I am going to let him back out. Then when I don't, he starts barking and scratching. This is my typical day:
If I get up to go to the bathroom-slide, boom, bark- if I go into the kitchen - slide, boom, bark- and on and on.
I have started throwing his ball down the hallway just to give him the chance to run and retrieve it. Then he just slides into the wall at the end of the hall. lol
But seriously, if you all think that it is a bad idea to let him stay outside over night, what about him staying out during the day and sleeping in at night.
I am just trying to find a balance here so that he doesn't feel unhappy and I don't go insane, but also one that is appropriate. I don't want him to freeze, but since he is my first dog, I just don't know what is normal for goldens. What temps they can comfortably tolerate, ect.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My first golden did live outside for a short time when she was about 2-3. (Then I got a divorce and the dog moved inside) but that was 35 years ago and times were simpler.

We had an insulated dog house and put blankets and straw down inside for her. But she chose many times to lie in the snow!

Goldens have a double coat so they do stay warm unless it is close to zero. I would think since you aren't doing this because YOU want it but because HE wants it, he will ask to come in if he is lonely or cold.

As long as you are home, he comes in at night, playing outside sounds fine. He must really love your kids play equipment! My golden loves the slide too!

You sound like you really love your dog and want to do what is best for him. Welcome to GRF!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
How about incorporating some time in the woods/parks/walks as part of your home schooling science curriculum? If I had youngsters, the dog would be part of their studies, certainly in the science area. Anatomy, animal husbandry, skin and coat care, exercise, looking for plants that might be toxic....there are a million ways your puppy can be part of the kids' lesson plans. As for the pup spending time outside during the day, there's no reason he can't while someone's at home, but I would also work (with kids or without) on his obedience skills while he's out of doors, especially his recall. Never in this lifetime would I leave any dog, never mind a golden, outside at night. I had my 4-year-old golden stolen from the backyard in broad daylight years ago, so I also advocate a LOCKED gate on the fence!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts