Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old golden found a piece of meat in the street. I think it was a small pork chop but can’t tell. I couldn’t get it out in time. There was small bone on it but she chewed it enough that I’m not worried anything will lacerate. I’m hoping she just passes it and is fine like she she has been in the past. As of now she seems perfectly fine but it’s only been an hour. That said, if there is an issue how soon after would I start seeing signs? She’s eaten things like this in the past but the only thing that ever caused problems was a corn cob, which she acted perfectly fine but couldn’t hold food down so we took her to vet the next day.

with this I’m expecting some diarrhea and all. Obviously any bad signs and we will take her right to the vet. But what amount of time passes before I can feel confident nothing will bad happen? Hours? Days?

·
Puddles
3,682 Posts
If you see any blood in the stools get to the e vet quickly. I would be watching for any signs... gas, not wanting to eat, not able to poop, blood in stools, throwing up or coughing up blood for a couple of days. A little cod liver oil might move things through a little faster but of course will give you pudding pooh... just a couple of tablespoons (only once!) should be more than enough. Hope all goes well.
Considering you say this has happened before, I have to wonder if your dog is on a leash? Try teaching the dog to NOT eat stuff found on the ground. Your luck may run out at some point. Keep your pup safe!

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
I hope your dog is ok. There are some evil people leaving meat stuffed with rat poison out on streets, and even throwing them into dog parks. There are reports of meat stuffed with nails and screws being left on walking trails and in dog parks too. It's so dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts