Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would love some feedback on the type of foods you would recommend. Currently, Teddy is on Natural Balance ( lamb & brown rice) and has been since we picked him up. He is 16 months now. He's been doing well on it, although I don't think he really likes it. I do top it off with different food ( wet foods, etc) to change it up a bit and he enjoys that.
I was thinking about switching him to something more " natural", less preservative, etc. I've been looking into the farmer's dog, nom nom, the honest kitchen. Any experience with any of these or any other more natural foods? I would love to cook his food at home, however, we are vegetarian and my husband cannot stand the smell of meat so pre-packaged food would be ideal.

Your input is greatly appreciated :)

·
Puddles
3,850 Posts
I'm going to start with a disclaimer... I have never feed raw so will leave that topic to those that have. Just me but I honestly don't have enough knowledge to know how much of what is needed in a dogs diet to keep them healthy. Research any of the ready prepared foods carefully, not recommendations on their own sights but independent reviews from people that have used it ... both good and bad reviews.... not dog food adviser.
Anything that you decide is best for your pups needs should be reviewed by a vet. nutritionist to make sure you get all the vitamins, balance between proteins, carbs & fat. I would hate to see you do something that you think is good for him and be short on nutrients and cause a problem. JMHO but there are a ton of commercial pet foods on the market and many of them are related to DCM. If they can't get the nutrition right, who am I to try it without help from a veterinary nutritionist. Just be careful. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, just really learn how to do it correctly.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,913 Posts
FYI, there is no such thing as human grade dog food. It's a marketing ploy. All food used in dog food is sourced from the same place that our food comes from. Dog food also can't technically can't be made in the same facilities as safety protocols and inspections are different and the facilities couldn't handle it to begin with. To much chance of cross contamination as things like chicken sits out waiting to go into a vat but the high heat of the extrusion proceed kills any bacteria. There can't be any chance of that in a human food processing plant.

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
i feed my dogs raw- I prepare it myself, but when I am unable to I get it from a fresh food provider. For my youngest, 7 month old, he has kibble as well on top of the raw food, but i am going to wean him off it after I finish my current bag of kibble. my thought is that if you are unable to prepare a balanced homecooked or raw meal for your dog, its best to stick with a kibble least you miss out any important nutrients. if you are going with a fresh food provider, review their ingredients carefully. some recipes are not complete and you are required to supplement on top of the meals.

I also get my dogs bloodwork done yearly just for a baseline of their health etc, and my vet knows and approves of the food I feed them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts