Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may be interested in following the research here until the final documentary has been produced: Dog Cancer Survival Series - Rethinking the Canine Epidemic

Although this is not Golden Retriever specific, considering the very high incidence of many cancers in the Golden Retriever breed, I think it is worthy of note.

There are many clips on site that look like they will be included in this documentary.

If you have access to Facebook, you can follow this here:

https://www.facebook.com/dogcancersurvivalseries/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For those of you not on Facebook, here are some of this clips that may be featured in this documentary:

https://www.facebook.com/dogcancersurvivalseries/videos/735729299928822/

This will be a great series. Rodney Habib and Dr Karen Becker DVM have been working hard to bring this together. I was wowed by this short clip and this cancer researcher Dr Seyfried

I will post them individually below.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Amazing! We feed Orijen 6 fish which is 38% protein but that leaves a lot of carbohydrates. How do you feed raw and board your animals? Are boarding facilities willing to feed raw?

Lots of questions. Thanks.

Reactions: Yaichi's Mom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good post. I can't stop thinking about how I would feed my next Golden since Skye passed. I feel that I have NO idea what is in massed produced dog food, highly rated or not. I wish I knew more so I could put together a more natural, holistic meal for my dog. Imagine eating everyday what you give your dog. That seems so wrong. I'm still looking. Funny note I did teach my Skye to pick raspberries from my farm. She learned to sniff them out and while I was picking berries she would pull them off and eat them too. I know the berries are all natural. So I made my jam label in memory of Skye.

dlm ny country

Attachments

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing! We feed Orijen 6 fish which is 38% protein but that leaves a lot of carbohydrates. How do you feed raw and board your animals? Are boarding facilities willing to feed raw?

Lots of questions. Thanks.
I started Brisby on Orijen LB Puppy and then migrated her to Orijen Regional and Orijen 6 Fish for the first 2 years of her life ( she is now 4.5 years old. At around 2 years of age Brisby was having skin issues, joint issues ( ruptured ACL) and we chose CM ( conservative management) under the care of a holistic veterinarian. Even though Orijen is considered a "high quality" food for kibble, both vets immediately suggested that we change to a home cooked or raw diet ( preferred) provided it was complete, balanced ( supplements added to the food) In addition, we were to nix all dry store bought treats, Dentabones ( high levels of fat/toxins) and either do home made pure treats or freeze dried or dehydrated pure meat treats ( no preservatives, additives, etc..made in USA or Canada). Her change in diet has resulted keeping her nice and lean, her skin issues are non existent, stifle has stabilized nicely with no limp or pain and her joints are flexible, mobile and improved.

Here in southern Ontario, there are some ( increasing) boarding that will feed raw. They will not put the meal together for you, however there are some excellent raw patties or raw food in tubs that are almost completely balanced that they will feed if you portion out the meals. Other alternatives are to switch to a freeze dried raw and or go back to the Orijen if necessary during boarding.

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good post. I can't stop thinking about how I would feed my next Golden since Skye passed. I feel that I have NO idea what is in massed produced dog food, highly rated or not. I wish I knew more so I could put together a more natural, holistic meal for my dog. Imagine eating everyday what you give your dog. That seems so wrong. I'm still looking. Funny note I did teach my Skye to pick raspberries from my farm. She learned to sniff them out and while I was picking berries she would pull them off and eat them too. I know the berries are all natural. So I made my jam label in memory of Skye.

dlm ny country
What a lovely tribute to your Skye and a wonderful memory!! :) Berries added to a dogs diet are rich in many antioxidants. Your Skye probably instinctively knew this.

When I lost my love Yaichi to hemangiosarcoma, I too wanted to feed Brisby the best I could afford and do. I truly thought for the first 2 years of her life that feeding her Orijen, mixed with some fresh cooked meat and veggies, was doing just that.

It wasn't until Brisby began to manifest some health issues at a young age and by changing veterinarians ( one holistic, one homeopathic) and by doing tons of research, did I realize that feeding kibble...even one considered "high quality" was not the best I could do. Both Brisby's vets strongly recommended that we stop kibble and move to a fresh, complete, balanced home cooked or preferably raw diet. At first I was leary, a bit overwhelmed, however once one gets in the groove of changing it really isn't that difficult. Yes, it is a bit more time consuming than feeding kibble...even more so if you are grinding meat, bone and making your own mixture, which I don't do. For Brisby I have found a small commercial raw diet distributor ( vet approved; Big Country Raw located in Niagara) where I get tubs of frozen mixes of varied proteins along with fruits and veggies. All I have to do is thaw, measure out portions, add the supplements our vet has recommended ( in our case, Dr Dobias Soul Food and Green Min and a good Omega 3) and I have a complete balanced diet for Brisby.

For those interested making home made food from scratch, here is a really easy recipe as one example. If I were to do this though, I would make a much larger quantity, portion out and freeze. There are many other ways to do this and other recipes as well:

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetPaws.ca/videos/1160712844003596/

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would encourage you all to watch this video.

We all know that sugar feeds cancer, can lead to diabetes, overweight and many other health issues.

How much sugar is in what you are feeding your dog?...how can you tell?

Reactions: T&T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for posting the info on the site about the documentary related to Canine cancer.
I just lost my beautiful Golden boy Lincoln to Hemangiosarc of the heart-a week ago today he died.
He was only 4..

We are very heartbroken and yes, the rainbow bridge is very real and a comfort to know they are waiting there patiently,
as any Golden would..:)
Such a big place to fill in our hearts..We remember them always..no matter how many years have gone by..
I enter this journey now without him, and still feel lost without him..

Thanks for the post and the hope that allows us to move through grief and into acceptance..

NB

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you for posting the info on the site about the documentary related to Canine cancer.
I just lost my beautiful Golden boy Lincoln to Hemangiosarc of the heart-a week ago today he died.
He was only 4..

We are very heartbroken and yes, the rainbow bridge is very real and a comfort to know they are waiting there patiently,
as any Golden would..:)
Such a big place to fill in our hearts..We remember them always..no matter how many years have gone by..
I enter this journey now without him, and still feel lost without him..

Thanks for the post and the hope that allows us to move through grief and into acceptance..

NB
Beyond devastating....I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Rodney Habib just announced less than an hour ago that along with producing this documentary, has just gotten support to get a canine cancer research, information, resource and treatment center which will be free for all who have dogs suffering from cancer. He himself has cured his dog of cancer, thus the catalyst for the documentary. I will post more details when they are available.
http://www.pawsforchangefoundation.com/

I know that the above won't help any of us here with the beloved ones we have lost to this beyond awful disease, however hopefully there are things we can do going forward to tip the odds in our favour by avoiding having to face it again.

Heartbreaking....I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sorry to hear about Lincoln. Way to young to happen. My prayers are with you as you go thru what we all have experienced. The reason this diet discussion is here is exactly for slowing down these incidents that inflict our golden. I hope you feel better soon and enjoy the great memories that Lincoln gave you. I'm sure you gave him a great life.

Doug M ny country

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Latest video released from the upcoming documentary: Dog Cancer Survival Series:

Hope for the Hopeless: Starving Cancer

·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a heads up for those interested.

Here is the email I just received:

FINALLY, it’s DONE!

I’ve sent the Dog Cancer Series Documentary off to the distributor and DVD’s are being made as we speak! As soon as they’re ready to ship (or download) I’ll let you know :)

While I was making my film I discovered Ty Bollinger was also making Protect and Heal Your Pets, a docuseries about pet cancer. We decided to collaborate on a free 5-part miniseries that highlights some of the top experts in both documentaries giving their advice about dog cancer.

So what’s better than a sneak peek of my documentary? A sneak peek of BOTH documentaries on cancer in pets! Sign up to watch this 5-part miniseries here:

http://thetruthaboutpetcancer.com/rodney

Looking forward to getting this information to you as soon as possible,
Rodney

https://thetruthaboutpetcancer.com/?a_aid=59a70dc65e0b5&a_bid=77d01024

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you. This thread gave me the light that I need which I was not able to see since 5 days. I take it as a sign and hope to start a thread in the future one day how my babies survived cancer

1 - 20 of 34 Posts