Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reviews on dog boots, and what are good kinds? I am looking at Ruff Wears Boots
Ruff Wear Dog Boots

I really only need one to protect my one dog's paw. She has a skin growth that is starting to rub on the bottom of her paw. Have had many vets look at it, and all are not to concern. Most say the only way to get rid of it, is to remove half her paw, which we are not going to do. (this is Penny, and she is already battling cancer) So I am looking at maintaining it. Thought a boot would protect it more.

Would I be alright with one boot on her front paw? Or will she be uneven, and I should get one for the two front paws?

Thanks!

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Snow Boots

My first GR Sadie, a rescue, hated the feel of frozen ice balls in her pads. They seemed to hurt her and she hated it when I pulled them when we got home after walks on snowy days. I got her a set of four booties, either from L.L. Bean or Lands End about 10 - 12 years ago. They just slipped over her paws and Velcroed on. It took her a while -- 2 to 3 walks to get used to them, but them she was fine. The traction was good. They weren't padded, so if your dog's paw is sore, they won't help with that. On the other hand, they weren't thick, so wearing one would be fine. She did once shake one off.

Sorry your poor pup is dealing with cancer. Hope this helps. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked L.L. Bean, and they use Ruff Wear's boats. Can not find any boats on Lands End. Thank you for the advice. I am happy to read that boats helped your pup out, and she got used to them pretty quickly. I may end up ordering two just in case they do need to be even, and if not, then I have an extra.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
The nice thing about buying directly from Ruffwear is that they let you by single booties. The price is the same per boot. So if you buy 2, you are only paying 1/2 the price of the 4. I used the "Skyliner" from Ruffwear for one of our dogs. After some knee/hip surgeries she dragged her rear feet. I only used 2 booties for the rear. We liked the Skyliners.

·
Davina
392 Posts
I am thinking about getting some shoes for Sharlette too. We have a lot of sand spurs where I live and every night I have to get out the tweezers and remove splinters left in her pads from the sand spurs.

I was looking at something like this Sandals with Dog Skull & Crossbones - Chocolate at BaxterBoo ...... something with rubber on the bottom and something that the sand spurs wont be able to stick to... a fabric shoe the sand spurs will **** to it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the sandle link, but im looking for something that covers the whole paw.
Our3Dogs, I am having trouble deciding between Skyliner and Grip Trex. Skyliner is for man made areas, and Grip Trex is for hiking and ruff terrain. Penny is a therapy dog, so she will be walking around inside places a lot. All though I do take her hiking in the woods a lot. Do the Skyliners work ok in woody terrain? Or should I just go with the Grip Trex? (which I would use indoors too) Or should I get one of each!

Oh, and what do you think of those socks they sell with the boats? Necessary or not?

Reactions: Pemphredo

·
1,814 Posts
Lucky Penny - That's a tough call as to which one to buy. I think if it is going to be dual purpose and you only want to buy one - go for the Grip Tex. If you can afford 2 different shoes, then I would also buy the Skyliner for indoor use, as they are not quite so "beefy" as the Grip Tex. I never bought the little socks and never had a problem not using them in the 2 years our gal wore the boots.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Lucky Penny, I like the Ruff Wear boots. My Cody had a degenerative disease in which he started scraping the tops of his hind feet to the point of bleeding. I put boots only on his hind feet, and since he could still walk normally on his front feet, that worked well. I would buy two boots and put them on both hind or front feet so the dog feels more equal. Sorry about your pup's cancer....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Our3Dogs. Finn's Fan, what type of boats does your Cody use?

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you look on the ruffwear website they have bootliners which I assume are similar to socks. So sorry to hear about penny. Good luck!
Bark

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry I won't be much help because I am wondering a similar thing. My sister's pug had a stroke as a result of being put under anesthesia. After the stroke he lost feeling in his front left arm and has been dragging that paw. His knuckles get cut up from doing this. I tried Neopaws but it only makes him fall down more easily. He already has a little trouble balancing in the first place. If anyone has any recommendations for my specific case as well let me know.

Neopaws might be a great option too since your golden is still placing her feet! Just didn't work that well for our pug's dragging.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lucky Penny, I like the Ruff Wear boots. My Cody had a degenerative disease in which he started scraping the tops of his hind feet to the point of bleeding. I put boots only on his hind feet, and since he could still walk normally on his front feet, that worked well. I would buy two boots and put them on both hind or front feet so the dog feels more equal. Sorry about your pup's cancer....
I will have to look into this! My sister's pug drags his front paw to the point of bleeding as well and I've been trying to find a solution so he can go on walks again.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I think I am going to go with getting two Skyliner boots, and see how those work. If I think I need something more, I will get the Grip Trex.

Champ, I would try ordering Skyliner as well for your sister's pug. It seems like it helps a lot of dogs!

·
1,814 Posts
Lucky Penny - Good luck. Hope they work out for you. Since her problem is not dragging her feet, they should last nicely for you. Our Lacey had the problem of dragging her rear feet, so she would wear out the tops of the toe on the asphalt. Since the rest of the bootie was still in great shape, I solved this by going by the leather furniture store and picking up small sample squares. I then used contact cement and glued leather pieces on the toes so they lasted longer. My husand would laugh and say I was "retreading" her shoes. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is so cute that you added leather to the boots! How creative! You should suggest that to the company.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
A few years ago I ordered "muttluks", I cant remember which store they were from. They fit well on Molson (although a little tight - we ordered Medium and he has GIANT paws for a golden!) and they are quite comfortable. They are a bit thick and protect very well for our winters and rainy days up here. I would highly recommend them. I think I paid around $60 for the set of 4.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Penny's boots came in, and she has tried them out a few times for therapy dog visits and a few walks. They work really well. I ended up getting the snow boot ones as well, but I am going to return those. She slips to much in them on walks, and they make things more dangerous. I may end up getting the other outside ones that aren't as big. Here is a picture of her with the regular boots, she does not mind them.

Reactions: BriGuy

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
:dblthumb2Lucky Penny
Thank you for the post...my Buzz gets sore feet after long runs. I need to do something to help him. Reading your post helped me. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am happy this thread has help more then one person! : ) I never really was a fan of dressing dogs up. But now I understand how some dogs do need certain things to help them. (like boots!)

·
1,814 Posts
Oh she looks GREAT in her new boots. I bet they are really comfortable for her, which is why she does not mind them. Thanks for letting us know the final result.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts