Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So, both my golden (Charlie) and the golden I work with (Jango) have birthdays coming up! Exciting! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any good birthday cake recipes for dogs. I've seen a bunch online, but very few come with reviews/real world experience, so I thought I would check here and see if there are opinions on the matter (also, if this has already been a post, I apologize...I looked, but I didn't find anything the matched.) Here's kind of a hitch: I also work with children and I am POSITIVE that one of the boys will want to eat some (he thinks he's half dog...which naturally, the goldens love.) So...if the recipe can have all kid friendly ingredients that would be a huge plus! Thanks in advance and I'll make sure to take pictures of the doggy birthday party once it happens!

·
Registered
108 Posts
We ended up going with birthday cookies. I'm thinking the kids will want a separate cake if you go that route though.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Recipe: Peanut Butter Bulldog Brownie Cake with Banana Filling
courtesy Kerry Malak, Georgia’s Legacy
½ cup shortening or oil
3 Tbsp. honey 4 eggs (or egg substitute)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup carob powder
½ tsp. baking powder
Cream shortening/oil and honey together thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients. Beat well. Divide batter between two lightly greased 6” round cake pans* and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely.
Frosting:
2 packages cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
2 tsp. honey
2 Tbsp peanut butter
Filling:
1 small banana
Finishing directions:
Beat the cream cheese and honey together until it reaches desired spreading consistency. Add a small amount of milk if needed.
If you will be decorating the cake beyond just frosting it (to add lettering or other decorative touches in a different color) reserve up to ¼ of the frosting for later use. You can add food coloring or carob powder to this frosting and then use with decorator tips.
Add peanut butter and continue to blend until frosting can easily spread.
Spread a thick layer of frosting on bottom cake layer and then top with thinly sliced bananas. Spread bottom of other cake layer with frosting – just enough to help it stick to the bananas – and place on top. Then, you’re ready to frost the outside of the cake & enjoy!
Optional: Decorate using bone shaped dog biscuits along side of cake or crush dog cookies finely and press against sides of frosted cake for a finished look.
*For fast and easy decorating, you can also cook this cake recipe in an 8 x 8 square cake pan and frost as is, without the filling, using only 1 ½ packages of cream cheese.
**I multiplied this recipe by 1.5 in order to bake it in a 9×13 pan. -Dr V
From my fav blog, www.pawcurious.com

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Here is the recipe my mom used for Maggie's birthday cupcakes...all people friendly ingredients. I have tasted them and they taste like less sweet brownies:

1/2 cup honey
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons carob powder
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla

preheat oven to 350

Mix all ingredients and place muffin papers into a muffin tin and fill half way with mixture

bake 25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

cool and decorate with biscuits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Thanks for all the great idea...maybe I will do a test run and see which one they like more! I think icing it sounds like a bit of a mess too, but I bet the kids would love to help me with that part!

·
Registered
33 Posts
charlie is allergic to wheat and corn, any ideas on what I could substitue for the flour? Just a different kind of flour? Or does anyone have a recipe that is wheat free? His 2nd birthday is 2/8 and I want to make him a cake too! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts