Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I didn't read these types of books earlier! I feel like I've been missing out! Now that I've discovered them, I feel like I'm much more in-tune with my dog, and at the very least understand what she is doing when she is doing it.

Anyway, can't say enough for books like these, so I thought I'd share the ones I've read. Keep in mind these are not "training" books, but no doubt these will help understand dogs better, so you can be a better trainer.

The first one is by Stanley Coren, and my favorite so far.

It's called "How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication". If you haven't read any dog behavior books, this is the one to start off with. There is a little of everything from the evolution of the species all the way to a handy reference guide at the back of the book.

I'm currently working on "For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend" by Patricia McConnell. I'm only a third of the way though, so I'll surpass judgement until then.

There are another two that I have my eye on, another Stanley Coren book ("The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions"), and one by Turid Rugaas ("For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend").

These are just ones that I've found at the book store and/or Amazon.

Have you read books like these? If so, any suggestions?
(I think if there was a book full of dog photographs to illustrate the behavior or facial expression, that would be very helpful).

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Up at the top of the forum is a section that says products and reviews. There is a section for books. You might find some that interest you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts