Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Haven't been here in quite a while - been very busy with my now 4 month old baby and our girl Koda of course! :)

Anyways - just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on how to handle Koda with the baby. He is four months now so not mobile yet but just learning to sit. He is starting to get VERY interested in Koda. He watches her any chance he gets and reaches out to touch her now. She is okay with it, she is still kind of scared of him. She will move away if he gets too close so we try to let her approach him. Everytime she does get close she just licks him like crazy. I have heard this is also a nervous thing...is that true?

I am just concerned because he will be on the move in a matter of months here and I don't want her to be afraid of him, especially since he seems to be so keen on getting to be by her. I think he really likes the feel of her fur! :)

Any suggestions?

·
Tank&Stitch
233 Posts
I don't have any advice but I hope someone here can help you. Oh and congrats :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Hey, Michelle, nice to see you back on here! And I think you need to share pics of your little man. :)

Maybe you should look at the baby as a desensitizing training project for Koda. I'm guessing she has picked up on how important the baby is to you and DH and is partly reacting to that. What is her favorite treat? Perhaps sit with the baby and call her over, and give her a treat to start. Let her know that he's OK and she can get near him. Keep upping the ante--have Koda lay down next to the baby for treats. At some point, you could even put a little peanut butter on his leg to encourage her to stay near him. There are lots of folks on here with babies and Goldens so I hope they'll chime in. I haven't done this before, but these are a couple ways I'd start.

I'm so happy for you and your husband--would love to see your baby!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Michelle, I have five grandchildren and also have grand dogs, some goldens, some Labs who are Bridge kids now. When all of the kids were little (two of them are still little at 3 yrs and another at 15 months), the dogs knew that those little people were unpredictable, so they gave the kiddos some space. The dogs were never nasty to the kids; it's just that they didn't want to get fallen on, have their fur pulled or eyes poked....smart on the dog's part. You can desensitize some of that, but honestly, if Koda decides to move away, that's her right. Make hanging out with your little guy fun for her with treats, just don't make hanging with the baby mandatory. Finn adores my older grandkids and can't get enough attention from them. The littlest ones send him to the back door asking to go out, and he yells over his shoulder to me "Just let me know when they leave, OK?" :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congratulations!

The new lack of attention can cause your pup to bark- sometimes without rest because they feel that you have forgotten about them. It can be difficult to adjust a pup to the attention deprivation, but if you slowly wean them over time, it can help your pup’s anxiety. When the baby does come home, continue your pups routine as scheduled so that they don’t associate the arrival of the baby with neglect. Give your pup toys to play with and treats for being calm. This will help your pup understand that everything is just peachy.

Sometimes your pup may be barking because they are unsure of what is happening. The new scents and smells can cause confusion if they aren’t aware of the situation. Allowing your pup to smell something that has the baby’s scent can help them to adjust. Don’t let them play with the item or interact with it any other way- pawing or licking. Letting the pup see the baby to associate the scent with the child will also help reduce their anxiety and prevent barking.

Refrain from creating an association between your baby and punishment
If your pup does start barking at the baby or barking in general, try distracting them from the situation with a favorite chew toy. Don’t stop them in a negative way, as it will only cause them to associate the punishment with the presence of the baby. Positively altering their attention will prevent them from barking for the time, but you will need to design a plan to prevent them from barking to begin with.

Positive reinforcement goes a long way. When your pup is being quiet, give them a treat and tell them that they are being good. This will help them associate a “calm” attitude with treats and kindness. Teaching your pup to be calm will reduce the likelihood of them barking randomly. If you try to force them to stop or punish them for barking, it may only make the situation worse and increase the likelihood of them barking.

If you cannot stop your dog from barking, calmly and patiently move them to another location- perhaps outside so that they will understand that barking is not allowed around the baby. Don’t associate the place in any other negative way other than they will not be allowed around you or the baby if they continue to bark.

It can also be a good idea to allow your pup routine interaction when you handle the baby. Keeping your pup in the same room while you change the baby’s diaper can help them understand that the baby is part of your family. If you are bathing the baby, and your pup enters the room, don’t chase them out or punish them for doing so. This can cause them to relate the new child as a threat, and can lead to barking.

Organizing a plan to help adjust your pup to the baby’s arrival will greatly reduce the likelihood of barking. Positive reinforcement can help your pup accept the new member to the family, and keep everyone happy.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
How cute and what a smile! I have two young grand daughters. Murphy was always in their face sniffing and nuzzeling. Then he got very big and I was forced to separate them when the toddler was walking around or she would have been knocked down. Murphy loves them but at times a little over zealous. Once we're all seated Murphy is always welcomed and will hop up on the couch next to everyone. But his favorite spot when they visit is next to the high chair where Annie loves to feed him!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
You son is absolutely adorable. I think what you are doing...sitting on the floor with your son and with Koda is the way to go.

My first thought was xpen...for your son. lol

Our first grandchild was born in CT and we live in MI. Penny had never been around kids AT ALL. She was 2 years old. GS was 2 months old during their first visit, crawling during their second. Penny just followed him around thinking he was the most interesting toy she'd ever gotten. Of course we were right there. Later when the came to visit with another grandchild, Penny was in their faces...literally eyeball to eyeball! They learned to walk thru the house waving their hands out in front, like going thru a cloud of gnats.

I wouldn't put anything on your son to encourage licking...sometimes Penny's tongue was like sand paper and it HURT even on my old grandma skin.

Just take it one day at a time...the challenges will change from day to day. Enjoy your young family. Time goes by so fast!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Your son is beautiful! What a great little smile h has.

Just wanted to add, when he starts walking and is going after Koda, just make sure she always has an exit available. I agree with Finn's Fan, if she wants to move away, let her. If you're encouraging her to be around the baby most of the time, she'll know that it's all good and OK.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi! I had two adult dogs, one pit/sporting mix and one female pit, ages 6 and 3, when we brought home our first human baby. Both were generally friendly and socialized dogs, but neither dog had had a lot of contact with children before, especially babies (we tried, but we didn't really know any children, and its not that easy to get a stranger to let your large dog meet their baby). Our female dog was a little nervous with older kids, our boy dog just ignored them.

Our dogs were interested in sniffing/licking the baby when she was small and lumpish; when she started moving and grabbing, one dog took it into stride right away, the other would go to her dog bed if the crawling, pulling alien got too close for comfort. I think in large part it was the new walking; kids are so unsteady and unpredictable, it took the dog a little while to figure that out the first time around. We took that as a sign she had had enough baby, and didn't let the kid pursue the dog. That lasted maybe a month after our first started walking, and then both dogs became very used to the kids. Both quickly learned that under the high chair was the best place to lie during mealtimes. In fact, our female dog then sort of generalized, and became better with all kids. By the time we brought home our third newborn, they were sort of like "eh, another one, ok, bring it on." They never seemed at all nervous around our subsequent babies. Our third child crawled over them and would pull to stand while holding onto them, and the dogs were patient and gentle. As our kids got older the dogs became playmates. Our older male dog (by this time, old) would lie next to my children while they played; they used to build Thomas tracks over him while he slept. Our female dog participated in tea parties, and when outside, followed our children and their friends around our land, waited while they built fairy houses and forts, and then would follow them back home. She would take commands from my 4 year old and play fetch with him for hours.

All this is to say that even if your dog seems a little nervous now, and even if your dog didn't meet a ton of kids as a puppy, almost all dogs who have a good social foundation can learn to accept and love the children in their family, especially if you as parents are there to monitor interactions, keep ear/tail pulling to a minimum, and give the dog space if she needs. In our case our dogs became great with children in general, and they were way past prime socialization age when we had our kids.

Enjoy your new family! I have 3 kids (6.5, 4.5 and almost 2) and a new puppy, so now I am in the opposite situation of having the kids first then getting the young (very friendly but high energy and sometimes mouthy and not yet well trained) puppy. Here are some pics of my past dogs (now both passed on) with our babies (now all big kids!), for inspiration, and just because I do miss those dogs:).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500875373299783&l=b0e6e56c3e

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500874023299918&l=334d9c06ed

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500869013300419&l=02bddc8af1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572538356133484&l=6f0232d911

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500871679966819&l=bcbdbae241

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572538089466844&l=d9b4b7214c

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572538162800170&l=92273be9ee

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=571238429596810&l=60057f4c14

Good luck,

Heather

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dog Elliot gets so much attention and he's still a wild man around my 4 month old Nancy. I'm so discouraged. I stay at home now and he's always inside with us. It's like the more he's inside and the more attention he gets the more needy he is. He doesn't get walked anymore because when I try he tugs and knocks the stroller on two wheels. I tried to walk him with the baby in a sling and he jerks my arm into her. My daughter and I sit at the top of the stairs and throw the tennis ball until he breaks for water at breakfast and then again at lunch. He's so dangerous around my daughter. The licking is constant. I don't mind licking unless it's right after he has had kibble. I want more than anything to be able to keep him. Should I go back to putting him outside during the day like he was when I worked?

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will keep doing what I am doing. Giving her the space she needs though.

It was funny - the first few months he had issues with acid reflux and was throwing up a lot. A couple times a day. Well one day Koda happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and got thrown up on LOL. She apparently didn't appreciate it. Now when she hears him burp she will snap her head up wondering if puke is coming and if she is close by she gets up to move away. Just the simple noise like he is going to puke has her getting out of the way. It's quite funny..but then when we go to get something to clean it up we find she is already trying to do that for us...GROSS!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
My dog Elliot gets so much attention and he's still a wild man around my 4 month old Nancy. I'm so discouraged. I stay at home now and he's always inside with us. It's like the more he's inside and the more attention he gets the more needy he is. He doesn't get walked anymore because when I try he tugs and knocks the stroller on two wheels. I tried to walk him with the baby in a sling and he jerks my arm into her. My daughter and I sit at the top of the stairs and throw the tennis ball until he breaks for water at breakfast and then again at lunch. He's so dangerous around my daughter. The licking is constant. I don't mind licking unless it's right after he has had kibble. I want more than anything to be able to keep him. Should I go back to putting him outside during the day like he was when I worked?
Elliot's momma, I think he will adjust and be fine. I suggest you start your own thread specific to the issues you have outlined and let other forum members give you some input.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Michelle,

May I first say: I love your haircut! You look FABULOUS!!
Second: Your son and Koda look great together.

I think you're doing fabulous. Keep it up!! :) It's good to see your face around here. :)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Koda is very young and needs to learn how to act with a young child. As I wrote regarding my grand children...when they're walking around we have a baby gate to separate the dog and children. Murphy can see them but it's so sad because he wants to be right there with them. It's going to take time but in the mean time Koda needs excersize. You mentioned throwing the ball down the stairs.......my girl kelly tore her ACL running down the stairs after a cat. I'd be careful with that play.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
We have a 10 week old baby and had to really think about how to incorporate her into the dogs' lives. Initially, we taught them to leave her alone using the leave it command they already knew. They were interested in the sounds and smells initially, but have lost interest in that a bit now. We have a baby zone that can be separated off easily by closing baby gates, and that has helped tremendously. Once our little one is mobile, it will also work to contain her and keep the dogs separate.

In my opinion, Goldens are great family dogs but babies and dogs do not mix no matter what dog it is. The possible negative result is too catastrophic. My aunt's dog had been around my cousin's daughters every day for several years. One day he just lost it and bit the youngest ( a toddler at the time) in the face. They think she was trying I grab one of the dog toys from him. She had to have several surgeries due to the injury and the dog was euthanized. I would never forgive myself if something like that happened, so we will be keeping our dogs separated until we know the baby understands to leave them alone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,716 Posts
Your son is soooooooooo adorable and looks so happy.

Loved all the great pictures, Koda looks to be doing very well with him.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Michelle, I do not know if you remember me but I remember your name from the teenager thread (I mostly lurked and only posted a few times). Funny I also have a 4-month old now, and have 2 goldens! Congratulations on the baby boy!!!

They are both good with the baby, very gentle. One does not mind the baby grabbing him, sitting on him, etc. He was unsure at first but he has warmed up to the baby. The other is a little scared of him, but she is always scared of things that move, including small boxes, papers in our hands!! Yet she is not scared one bit by thunderstorms and would gladly watch fireworks! She walks away when the baby is too close to her. But she has come over to lick the baby a few times. Once the baby kind of kicked a lot while she came over to sniff him and that scared her and she walked away. We are just making sure she always has somewhere to go and will be extra vigilant when the baby starts crawling around her.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marshallsmom - your girl sounds just like Koda. When he gets fired up Koda walks away like he is too crazy for him LOL. She is interested in him but from a distance. Sounds like that is good, then they keep their distance. We are definitely going to work very hard to make sure Bryson respects Koda as well once he understands what we are saying to him LOL.

Brave - thanks for the compliment! They are helpful 4 months after baby when you feel like you always look like garbage haha!!

Glad to be back! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts