Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Goldie is now 5 and a half months old. He is growing VERY fast. The thing is that my wife and i found out today that we are pregnant :) Yaaayyy!!!
Now down to the part i started the thread for. The doctor told us its very dangerous to have a dog around. He explained everything in detail. But we are NOT in ANY way going to give up our first baby. We are very upset that our families are not very happy we got a dog in the first place. After all the pressure everyone is putting on us my wife has caved... She is not willing to give him up but really wants to find a way around this. We no that millions of people have dogs in the houses while they are pregnant, but even you guys must admit the chance of getting your child ill because of it is scary. We want to know how many people keep their goldens outside. We live in Cyprus so the weather here is great all year round. Not a lot of rainy days here and its not very cold in the winter. Would a Large run with an appropriate kennel was what we were thinking of. Please tell us what you think. Any and All suggestions would help heaps. Thanks in advance, Metin, Leman, Goldie and the new baby :)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Millions of people have dogs and babies without getting sick. I'm not sure how your doctor came up with the idea that's VERY, VERY dangerous. Obviously you wouldn't want to leave the dog ALONE with the baby, but that's just common sense.

I'm sorry, but I feel banishing your dog to the yard is just as bad as giving him up.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice or whatever. Here's mine: keep him inside as a part of the family. That's what he is...

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Child getting ill because of a dog????? Who put that notion in your head? Sure you need to take care to keep constant supervision between children and dogs (any pets) just for the fact neither children nor animals have a sense of logic, they all live on pure instinct, at least humans develop logic as they mature (well, some do).

Don't let others rain on your parade, tell them to mind their own business about your life and you'll mind yours too about them, and move on and be HAPPY and ENJOY all your own moments.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I don't understand your doctor at all. How is a dog going to get people sick?
People get people sick!!
They only thing you could get from a dog is possibly worms and if you keep your dog wormed, no problem.

My kids and grandkids have all been raised with dogs since infancy. They sleep with them, get licked on the mouth, etc. They have no diseases. They have no allergies.

My dogs are clean. I don't get your issue at all.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It is only dangerous to have a dog around a baby if the two are not supervised.

When I brought home my first, I had three dogs ( 50, 75, and 130 lbs ). My baby was not in any danger.

I met with a pediatrician before my baby was born to see what I should be careful of - I was more worried about the baby having allergies to the dog. My pediatrician assured me that babies that grow up with pets are healthier, less allergies and less asthma. He told me allergies to pets do not show up until the child is a few years old.

All three of my children have been raised with multiple dogs, cats, and rabbits in the house ( and now ducks outside ). It has helped them physically and emotionally grow up to be the caring children they now are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont get me wrong.. our dog live indoors with us too. He was saying that something from cat and dogs can cause a miscarriage. Im looking it up online right now. Seem a lots of bRubbish to me... Thanks for the support, Family problems are the last thing we need right now. :) You guys are awsome!

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I have always had pets since I was a small baby, and that was a long time ago.
My parents lived with my grandparents and their dog slept with me and also protected me when strangers came around.
That being said, I would not put my dog outside, Goldie is use to being in your home with you and she belongs there. It will all work out if you want it to, Goldens are so lovable and people oriented.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
You have been given very bad information. There is no truth to what your doctor or your family members have been telling you. I have had cats and dogs during both of my pregnancies and while my children were infants through now (they are 13 and 10). While I was pregnant, I had someone else do the cat litter box, but I've never heard of anything related to dogs, pregnancy, or babies. Please take the time to educate yourselves before making any decisions about your puppy. And really, I think it would be preferable to rehome Goldie than to isolate him outside.

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
The more the merrier

First of all, congratulations!

There was a cat in the house when I was born. A jealous cat devoted to my mother. The cat never hurt me, I never got sick from the cat and most of all, my parents taught me how to behave with animals, read their behavior and respect them (no tail pulling, no petting the cat when it wants to be left alone, etc).

I suppose it is possible that a baby get sick from a dog. But he could also get sick from the rocks he'll put in his mouth (he will!) or from playing with his poop or, worst of all, from playing with other babies and children at playcare and school who have been in contact with God knows what :). I don't think the dog is a higher risk than all the rest.

If allergies are a concern, you will find studies that prove that children raised on a farm and therefore in contact with lots of animals and very close to nature have much less allergies than children who were not exposed.

If jealousy from the dog is a concern, I think the poor dog will have a thousand more reasons to be jealous of the baby if its arrival means he has to stay outside for the rest its life. If I were the dog, I would be sad and resentful and wonder what I did all of a sudden to deserve that.

My good friend had two dogs when she had her baby and everything went very well. The dogs and the baby get along very well and since everybody gets their fair share of cuddles, everybody's happy!

Please consider keeping the dog inside and don't be scared. A home with a baby and a Golden inside it sounds like very happy home to me.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
He was saying that something from cat and dogs can cause a miscarriage.
Your doctor is probably talking about toxoplasmosis. Not an issue unless your wife cleans a cat's litter box and even then, as long as you wash your hands, (duh!), it really isn't an issue.

As many others have posted, I also had cats and dogs through both of my pregnancies and both of my children were raised with a house full of pets. Neither one of them ever had any health issues from the animals. Their pediatrician made it a point to let me know that kids are actually healthier, mentally and physically,(way less allergies), when raised with animals.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Dont get me wrong.. our dog live indoors with us too. He was saying that something from cat and dogs can cause a miscarriage. Im looking it up online right now. Seem a lots of bRubbish to me... Thanks for the support, Family problems are the last thing we need right now. :) You guys are awsome!
I have heard of the problem with toxoplomosis and miscarriage (as cubbysan mentioned) and the changing cat litter boxes. But never anything about dogs. Common sense with cleanliness and keeping the yard picked up should take care of most germs. Honestly, I've never heard of a person getting sick from a dog.

We had a (inside) dog when our daughter was born and we had a (inside) dog when our granddaughter was born (they lived with us). Both were/are healthy. It's a know fact that children that live in a home with pets are less prone to developing allergies.

Reactions: Yamanjazz

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Since the time I have been born, I have always been around dogs. Right before my parents had my brother (who is 4 years younger then me) they got a rescue dog. By the time I was 6 we had two labs, two kids and a bird.

I thank my parents for deciding to introduce us to animals at such an early age.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Raised to lovely children with dogs. One is now 28 and having his own child in March. He owns two labradors and a cat. They live inside. :) Everyone is and was healthy.
My daughter is 22 and has had no ill effects from living with dogs.

While pregnant I crawled all over the floor and played with the dogs. Once the babe was born I would sit on the floor and breastfeed while playing with the dogs. The kids and dogs played on the same floor shared people food, exchanged saliva etc.

Just train your girl with good manners and good leash manners, bring in the baby items early get her used to it all and enjoy your entire family.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
It is toxoplasmosis possibly from cats if she as never been exposed. If your cat is an indoor only cat she should be fine. Just you get to clean the litterbox only during her pregnancy. But I don't remember if you mentioned have both or just a dog.

Kids exposed to pets as infants have less allergies that kids not exposed to pets. The baby will eat dirt if you let them.

Reactions: Yamanjazz
1 - 20 of 52 Posts