Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I haven't been around in forever. I hope you all remember me and Chester. :)

Anyways, Chester has been having issues with his paws for awhile now. He has been nonstop licking/biting them and they are completely red and even bleed sometimes from all the biting. The vet had us try a bunch of different things, but we finally did an allergy test a few weeks ago. Thank goodness we finally did it because it turns out he's allergic to about 25 things and they vary in level from low to very high. We just got the allergy kit yesterday. The lab will only pick 12 allergens so the vet had to choose the ones he's most allergic to. I can't believe one of the things he's most allergic to is human dander! I never knew they could be allergic to humans until now. He's also highly allergic to multiple types of weeds, grass, molds and house dust. We just administered his first shot yesterday so we're looking forward to these allergies clearing up.

He's also allergic to some foods (lamb, duck, eggs, oats, and rice). But since those were a lower level then the other allergens, they weren't included in the kit. The vet said that he can have them in limited quantities and it won't affect him. But we'll need to switch foods since he is currently on TOTW Lamb.

Anyways, does anyone else have experience with a dog with allergies and have done allergy shots? When did you start noticing an improvement? I'm definitely excited to finally get rid of these stupid allergies. I can tell my poor baby has been suffering.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Absolutely, the best thing we have done for our golden. Chester's results sound very similar to Morgan's, she is also allergic to everything, including human dander. We started allergy shots a couple years ago and I think Morgan would be bald without them. We started with 1cc every two weeks and ended up switching to .5cc every week. She didn't seem to make it to the next shot and she would be scratching. Our vet has told us though that they are having a hard time getting the allergy shot medication, so I don't know what that means if they stop being able to.

For food, Morgan eats Natural Balance venison or buffalo. I think because we switched foods so much trying to figure the allergy we created a picky eater. I stay away from all treats with the usual proteins, chicken, lamb, beef.

Congrats though on doing the test, it is so frustrating when you can't figure out the cause and finding out the results is enlightening.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely, the best thing we have done for our golden. Chester's results sound very similar to Morgan's, she is also allergic to everything, including human dander. We started allergy shots a couple years ago and I think Morgan would be bald without them. We started with 1cc every two weeks and ended up switching to .5cc every week. She didn't seem to make it to the next shot and she would be scratching. Our vet has told us though that they are having a hard time getting the allergy shot medication, so I don't know what that means if they stop being able to.

For food, Morgan eats Natural Balance venison or buffalo. I think because we switched foods so much trying to figure the allergy we created a picky eater. I stay away from all treats with the usual proteins, chicken, lamb, beef.

Congrats though on doing the test, it is so frustrating when you can't figure out the cause and finding out the results is enlightening.
Thanks for your response! That's definitely reassuring that they helped Morgan so much. I feel bad that it took us so long to finally do the test, but I'm glad we can fix his issues soon. I just hate seeing him suffering.

It's funny because one of the first things we did (before the allergy test) was switch foods per the vets instructions. He said that if a dog has food allergies, it's typically beef or chicken. So he wanted us to switch to an alternative meat to see if that helped. And as it turns out, he's not allergic to beef or chicken at all! The only meats he's allergic to are duck and lamb.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
That is bizarre that he's not allergic to the things the vet thought he would be!
We fed our dogs lamb and then salmon because of allergies.
Gunner only goes through this once a year so we are assuming it's seasonal.Hoping it clears up soon, he's losing fur like crazy!

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is bizarre that he's not allergic to the things the vet thought he would be!
We fed our dogs lamb and then salmon because of allergies.
Gunner only goes through this once a year so we are assuming it's seasonal.Hoping it clears up soon, he's losing fur like crazy!
Aww, poor Gunner. I'm sure it could be seasonal. That's one of the original thoughts the vet had too. But it never stopped. We have the whole list of everything he was tested for. There's tons of different types of weeds, grass, mold, etc. I don't know what most of them mean. But he pointed out that certain grasses on the list are seasonal which is why he might be even worse in the spring/summer as opposed to other seasons. But since he's allergic to certain things that are unavoidable year round, these problems would never go away unless we did something about it! All I know is that allergies suck. It's so sad watching our dogs suffer.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Cruiser was tested for allergies and out of 50 things he was tested for he had allergies to 36 different things, grass, mold, dust, fleas , flies and the list goes on. No food issues, he never did lick his paws or have skin issues.His was his ears.... infection that didnt go away, we started him back in March and his right ear is totally goop free, his left still has some but the allergist was very happy how he was doing. We were doing shots every 15 days but then he started blowing up with Hot spots, so we backed them down to every 10 days and no more hot spots

·
Registered
581 Posts
My dog has some allergy issues, too.

Allergies seem more common in dogs than they used to be. Do you all think they had them all along and people in past generations didn't notice? Or is this something that's come about due to breeding/industrial pollutants/whatever in recent years? Is it something that breeders are/should/could try to reduce in future generations of golden retrievers?

Do other breeds and mutts have these same allergy problems? Or is it a golden retriever specific thing?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
No experience with dog allergy shots, but had them myself for 20 years. Do you start with small dose and increase as they do with people? and have to watch for adverse reactions for half hour or so? I am allergic to too many things to count, but while the shots never completely eliminated my symptoms, they sure cut them down and made life worth living. Oh, and come back again soon. We have missed you.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cruiser was tested for allergies and out of 50 things he was tested for he had allergies to 36 different things, grass, mold, dust, fleas , flies and the list goes on. No food issues, he never did lick his paws or have skin issues.His was his ears.... infection that didnt go away, we started him back in March and his right ear is totally goop free, his left still has some but the allergist was very happy how he was doing. We were doing shots every 15 days but then he started blowing up with Hot spots, so we backed them down to every 10 days and no more hot spots
Aww poor Cruiser. 36 sure is a lot! That's funny how allergies affect them all differently. Chester has no issues with his ears whatsoever...just his paws. I'm so glad to hear the shots are helping!

Nope, I don't remember you or Chester at all...;)

Seriously, though, I'm sorry the cheese hasn't been feeling well and I hoe his shots work wonders!
Hi, my name is Dana and my dog is Chester. It's very nice to meet you, whoever you are. :p:

My dog has some allergy issues, too.

Allergies seem more common in dogs than they used to be. Do you all think they had them all along and people in past generations didn't notice? Or is this something that's come about due to breeding/industrial pollutants/whatever in recent years? Is it something that breeders are/should/could try to reduce in future generations of golden retrievers?

Do other breeds and mutts have these same allergy problems? Or is it a golden retriever specific thing?
I wish I knew the answers! Chester is my fourth dog. For all I know, my other dogs could have allergies. But Chester is the only one where they have been obvious.

No experience with dog allergy shots, but had them myself for 20 years. Do you start with small dose and increase as they do with people? and have to watch for adverse reactions for half hour or so? I am allergic to too many things to count, but while the shots never completely eliminated my symptoms, they sure cut them down and made life worth living. Oh, and come back again soon. We have missed you.
Yup! The first vile is actually a very diluted version. We start with small doses of that and gradually work up. Once we're done with the diluted version (and giving a large dose), we transwer over to the more concentrated version and start with low doses again.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try not to disappear again. ;)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Let us know if the shots work! I hope so for you and Chester!!

Gunnie has so many other issues, I hate to add another med to his system.
I hope they both feel better soon!

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let us know if the shots work! I hope so for you and Chester!!

Gunnie has so many other issues, I hate to add another med to his system.
I hope they both feel better soon!
Thanks - I hope so too!

Aww, poor Gunner. I really haven't been around much so haven't been up to date on what's going on. I hope Gunner is feeling ok!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts