Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess that's what they call it when your dog goes crazy and barking around other dogs....not with intent to attack, but just over excited.

Duffy was never this way before until I took him to a service dog class (of all places). In this class was a GSD who would give him that dog stare down. Head lowered, intent stare. The instructor would always break it up and tell the GSD's handler to NOT let her do that.

But unfortunately, it was the start of Duffy becoming rather insane around other dogs. We do have a second dog here and Duff is fine with him, of course.

But if we go on a walk, heaven forbid if we encounter another dog -- the barking, lunging, etc., are very intimidating to others.

I understand that the best way to cure this is to expose him to more dogs - right? But because of his size and volume, it is something I am almost afraid to do.

Any suggestions?

Kris

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
See if you can find a reactive dog class. A lot of APDT trainers are familiar with this training. As a service dog he should be more reliable then that. Or did you mean Therapy dog?
Use a Trainer who is familiar with reactive dogs.I have seen amazing resolts with the reactive dog classes. You just have to be very comitted to training. My Female Australian cattle dog always was barking and carrying on but only on leash. She was also great when she could meet the other dog on leash.
With her it wasn't aggression but frustration and she was highly reactive to other dogs walking on leash.
Good luck with you dog,
Elke, Bogart and Mini Cooper

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sorry, I meant to say therapy dog!

He is not a therapy dog at this time, because of his insanity. We were told that if any therapy dog even so much as woofs while doing therapy, they are out of the program. So I have not even thought about doing this with him, even though he passed the class and passed his CGC. Amazing, I know -- but this all began after the class, immediately after. We could walk him anywhere before and it was only this GSD that set him off during the class. Now it's any dog.

Kris

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It sounds like Duffy is now fearful of other dogs.

I do believe looking for a dog reactive class will help out. In the mean time here is a site that has solutions (they use the clicker) but it can be done with a voice marker such as yes in place of the click.
The first article is working with a fearful dog to diffuse aggression. The second has tons of articles that you can look over to see if any will help you.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2002c/diffusingaggression.htm

ClickerSolutions Training Articles Contents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts