Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Aggression toward dogs = Aggression toward people"

Can someone please explain how this is NOT true, to my parents? -.- I've tried but they might listen if it were more than just me.

(This came up because of Dixie's annoyance toward our other dogs. She has NEVER shown aggressive behavior toward people but my parents seem to have it in their heads that she's going to turn on us and kill us all in our sleep. -.-) [That was a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point.]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the sweetest dog growing up. She loved all people and would lick you to death at the sight of you. She was very dog aggressive, but would have never hurt a human. They aren't related in my mind. But it also depends on Dixie. What is your perception of her with strangers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there any way to put her in obedience classes at petsmart? They are group classes and it'll give her the opportunity to socialize with other dogs. It seems the problem is probably a lack of proper socialization. I would bring it up to the trainers before starting the class that she has already shown dog on dog aggression. I'm not sure entirely if its a good idea, but lets see what the other board members think.

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My parents opinion on any sort of dog classes are very different from mine. Even though I offered to use MY money, they said no, obedience classes are a waste of money.
Charliethree is helping me out with the problem with the other dogs right now.
Dixie greets most dogs very well too, its just our dogs and certain other that bug her.

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
I was told by a trainer that the 2 types of aggression are very different. Asia is aggressive toward certain dogs but only when she is with me so it is a protective thing that we continue to work on. She is amazing with all people from infants up and has never shown any indication of aggression to humans in the past 8 and a half years It sounds like Dixie is the same and I hope your parents can relax ha ha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts