Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Jake has been here with us he has never really liked his ears scratched. I always found this strange.
I've checked and checked and no ear infection, no smell, no redness, swelling, Bumps NOTHING!...He has just Never liked his ears rubbed or played with. I've never ever had a dog that didn't like their ears really messed with. Any one else have a golden or dog that is/was like this?
He's never been hurt with his ears here to really cause any traumatizing that might be making him this way either. I just have always found it weird.
I try to play with them some every day and this doesn't even help, If I start playing with them/rubbing them he will move his head from my hands?..

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
hmmm my girls LOVE getting their ears rubbed, so I can't really relate to that....
I know that if you stroke their ears very lightly it can make them sleepy...what about if when he is almost sleeping and cuddling with you just very very lightly run your fingers over his ears? Or after you pet his ears give him a treat - so he starts making a positive association? I'm sure with a bit of persistence, he'll get over it!

·
Gracie's Mommy
101 Posts
My Gracie didnt really care for me messing with her ears when i first got her, but after a few months she now loves it... Granted with she sees me with ear solution, she gets all sad and doesnt want to "talk" to me for a while.. LOL

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think all dogs have different "Special Spots" my first golden would bait me with an ear scritch then want her butt scritched. My second golden liked the ear scritch. Oakly likes both the ear and butt scritch. Caue is big into having his "good dog spot" (chest) scritched. He will also totally surrender to a good belly rub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts