Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard so many great things about Kong toys, so I recently bought a Kong package with about 10 different Kong toys, two of which you can stuff with treats. I was so excited to have Lola try them..except she doesn't know what to do with them! I have tried the traditional (beehive) one and the bone shaped one. She seems excited to get busy on it but only gets the food hanging right out of the tips. She doesn't know how to get the treats from the inside. So far I have stuffed them with yogurt and carrots (her favorite treat) and frozen moistened kibble. I have left them for her in her crate when we have gone out of a couple of hours. When I return, they are still mostly filled. Lola is 9 weeks old..is she too young to get her teeny tongue in there or does it just take time to fgure out how to get to the yummy treats?? :confused:

Carol

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
make it super easy for a 9 week old...try her own, dry kibble that just falls out...when she makes the connection between the toy and th food ...then you can make it more challenging...
IMHO, use caution with a 9 week old...dont go crazy introducing lots of new foods...their little bodies are getting used to so many new things...

Reactions: MissKitty

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
She will love them more as she gets older and you stuff them with food, usually frozen, and it will keep her busy for a good long time. Right now, just the dry kibble works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't worry, she'll get it figured out. It took Homer a little while to figure his out. When we first got Homer I stuffed his Kong full of peanut butter and he didn't hardly touch it. Now he goes absolutley bananas when he sees me filling his Kong with peanut butter. Like Iansgran said, you'll eventually want to start freezing your treats in the Kong or they won't last long. I can usually make a Kong full of frozen peanut butter last 20 minutes or so with Homer. Just give your girl some time, she'll get it figured out soon enough.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
Buddy is just learning now at 2.5 how to play period. He licks the Kong and than walks away but is fascinated watching the yorkies get the food out.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Mine learned from my yorkies too. We filled it with dry kibble and yorks seemed to know exactly what to do. Poor Kye, she batted the Kong and it AND the food went flying all over the den. She has now learned to put her legs around it and nudges it with her nose. Also loves them stuffed and frozed! Great Babysitter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts