Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone's puppy get over-tired and misbehave when they have not had an adequate time to rest?

The reason I ask is that we are having my husband's family over on the weekend for the first time since Jesse was a tiny puppy. We are still working on Jesse's exuberance when greeting people and in crowds, our visitors are not overly "dog people" and there are two young children who will be here - so, I had planned to let Jesse spend most of the day with my sister and her dog which absolutely exhausts her (she will come home and sleep for 10-12 hours if we let her!!) and then pick her up an hour or so before people get here. That way, when visitors come she will hopefully be calmer when greeting them and then might just find a spot to curl up and sleep after that. My concern is that she might be so over-tired that her behaviour is actually worse.....does anyone else find this happens? that

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie's only 4 months old, but she is definately crankier when she's overtired. Sometimes when I can't figure out why she's behaving so badly, I put her in her crate for a timeout, and she'll go to sleep immediately. Then I feel bad for not knowing she was tired.
But, if I need her to be calm, I definately prefer a tired puppy to a bored, antsy puppy. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting thread - the one or two times Holly was actually "over tired" in the four weeks we have had her she slept under a chair in the room that is her assigned space and didn't wake up until she was good and ready.

I need to figure out a way to get her tired more often. :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
During the holidays we had several parties that included non-dog people and children. Hank is hard to ignore, he loves everyone and wants to be included.

I filled (2) kongs with peanutbutter, kibble, a small treat or two and some of that squirt kong-stuffer you can but in a can. Then froze them. Those were a God-send. Each one would keep him busy about an hour or so. Those, along with a new bully stick and deer antler, allowed us to enjoy our guests. We kept him gated in the laundry room. Hank was 5.5 months at the time.

A good long play session sounds like a great idea. At 8 months I tend to think the puppy crankiness that comes with being over tired is over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts