Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes after Jake poops, he sniffs it then gobbles it down before i can stop him. its so gross lol. I dont let him near me until i've forgotten about it.
Soo..
Can this make them sick?
Why do they do it?
Most importantly..
How do we stop it?

:uhoh:

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Not my puppy, my 15 year old dog !! I think it's a habit from before we got her. I have only had her 7 years. I have tried all the additives, nothing really worked. I don't think it can hurt them, it's just really gross. I just try really hard to pick up right after she goes. Most puppies do grow out of it. I know some people pour Tabasco sauce on it .

·
232 Posts
My puppy does, it is gross. I read so much about it, it doesnt make them sick though it is gross. They eat it because they must have seen their mother cleaning after them and they imitate that, because they are hungry or just because its there. I can say for my pup its sure its not because he is hungry and I hope so badly that he will outgrow this gross habit. There are some additives you can buy and try, they dont work for every dog though, just try to clean it every time he does it, if its not there he cant eat it! I am all new with this too, this is just what I have read and learned from others...

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey does not eat her poop, I do pick it up everyday, so she really doesn't have a chance to.

However, the Golden Retriever Gus across the street eats his poop all the time.

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
Rufus did it as a puppy. It used to be a race to get to it before he grabbed it as soon as he finished doing it. Gross. Once he learned the "leave it" command we just worked on that..a lot. There are things you can get to sprinkle on their food that I've heard some people say works and others say it doesn't. Good Luck!

·
Kayla's mom
5 Posts
Kayla did as well when she was a younger pup. She has fortunately grown out of that. However, I have 3 cats and I believe she is digging up their poop and eating that now! She is 8 months old on the 10th of Sept.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone here in the forum suggested the idea of having hotdog ready in our hand. As soon as the puppy pooped, give him the hotdog for ignoring poop. We did that with Mickey and now after he pooped, he will ignore his poop, run to the door, sit, and look at us as if "Hey, I just pooped, where is my hotdog?"

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Mia used to eat her poop, but she doesn't anymore. We used to go behind her and pick it up as soon as she'd be done, but if we were too slow she'd be eating it up! It just stopped "magically" one day... she hasn't done it in months. There's poop in the yard sometimes for a whole day and she just sniffs it and walks away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two dogs that do that. Yes it is so gross. I noticed that if their stools are creamy (sorry), they tend to like to eat that poop. If their stools look like tootsy rolls they tend not to eat it. If they are not feeling well and have loose stools they turn around and eat it very quickly. Yuck. I read somewhere that there could be an enzyme in the stools that cause the dog to eat it in order to put it back in their system to make them well. Anyone hear something like that? I would like to know more about it. I try to keep my dogs well so that they don't want to eat what they pooped.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Get on the problem early with a solid "leave it" command. Watch them like a hawk and train them to leave it alone every time.

There are a number of reasons they do it. Some learn it from watching their mother do it when they're puppies. Others learn it because their den areas weren't clean enough when they were tiny. Others do it because they smell something undigested in it, so it can be a sign of a health problem.

It's a common thing, but it's totally unacceptable in our house, so we train them firmly not to eat any kinds of poop.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
Emmy (ten years old - has been with me for two months) does it, but I think it was because she was kept in a crate her whole life so she was used to picking up in her crate. :( Ick! Oddly enough, she only goes after her own, none of the others'. We've been working on leave it, but she looks at me like, um, yeah, not so much. Oh well, this has gotten me into the good habit of going out every night and cleaning up, so I really can't complain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.