Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As summery weather kicks in here in the Midwest, we have had a stretch of warmer days in the 80’s. We are noticing that our one year old golden is really having a hard time with the heat. He is more lethargic during the day, pants a lot more (even though we keep our air set to 73 degrees!), and seems less hungry. Last night I could hear him panting quite a bit in his crate, which is not typical for him. We have him in our air conditioned bedroom with a fan blowing near his crate, but he still seems hot! Clearly, goldens have a lot of fur, and Gray has what seems to be an especially fluffy coat, so I can understand why he would be warm in these temps, but am a little surprised that he seems to have a hard time even in the AC and being inside except for walks, potty breaks, and when he chooses to be outside in the yard. He was this way last summer as a new puppy, but I had read that sometimes younger pups’ bodies don’t self regulate their temp as easily, so I was hoping this summer would be easier on him. Does anyone else have a dog that responds so much to the change in temperature? What tips do you have to help him feel better on these hot days? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
Yes. Oscar who hates any temperature above 70 gets much less active in the heat. This is odd as he was adopted from Istanbul where he was homeless. He will be turning seven in September.

Here is one thread with some good suggestions:

There is another recent thread which I can't find that I will post once I track it down. Perhaps another Forum member can help with that. One thing I recall from that thread was offering a frozen marrow bone (under supervision) which helps to cool them down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
It’s 73-74 F here in the England at the moment.
frozen carrots (I run it under the tap for a couple seconds before giving it to him)
Refrigerated blueberries. Yoghurt on a licky mat briefly put in the freezer before giving.
Couple ice cubes always in his bowl. Hair groomed Shorter (but not shaved) in the summer.
light spraying with the shower setting on the hose. Mine doesn’t like this so a cold flannel on his under belly where the coolness will take better effect.
Read on a previous thread cool gel packs placed under blanket on dog bed. But depends as I would worry my boy would find it and chew it.
also read on a previous thread. Cool beds? Easier to get from working dog websites?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dogs lose heat by panting and via "heat windows" or areas on their bodies where the fur is naturally thinner, especially their bellies, the inner surfaces of their thighs, and their "armpits" . Some breeds of dog have become so furry, that even these areas are heavily furred. It might help if you have a groomer short-clip the dog's underside (lower chest, armpit area, belly, and inner thighs).

It might also help to give him more freedom in the house if he's well-behaved. Inside a crate, he doesn't have much room to get in a position to let cool air flow over his belly. Panting might be his only option. Loose in the house, he can find a cool area of the floor and spread out.

This photo is not the greatest, but I think you can see what I'm talking about. I give my heavily-coated girl a "cool-clip" in summer. I've shaved her underside and partway up her chest. In this case, I've also cut her "pantaloons" short because it makes them easier to keep brushed and untangled. A real groomer could do a neater job. As you can see, I had a poodle at the time. I've had three poodles and always did my own grooming, so I have a grooming table, dog clippers, many blades, etc. If you don't have any equipment, best to find a groomer and explain what you want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My fluffy five year-old has a very hard time with the heat. He spends hot summer days on top of an AC duct in the floor next to his favorite front window, or on a cool tile floor. I agree with PalouseDogs that if you can let your dog find his own favorite cool spot in your house, he might be happier.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yes, the first few warm days in the spring seem to be the worst. Our dogs have figured out the coolest spots to sleep in the house, and will move to those positions when warm. I also installed a ceiling fan for the dogs, which they seem to love.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The short answer is yes. Honey loves to see the hot weather come, that way she stays inside in the nice, cool, air conditioned house.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Our Pebbles HATES the heat. She refuses to walk (which is ok) and often will refuse to even go outside.
Sandy (Pebbles' daughter) doesn't seem bothered by it.
Mr. B doesn't seem too bothered either.
Pearl (Sandy's daughter) the puppy is hating the heat so far. She acts like the world is coming to an end or something.

It might help if you have a groomer short-clip the dog's underside
One of my groomer/breeder/handler friends showed me this trick last summer (or the summer before) on Pebbles. This person shaved Pebbles' belly right down the center - this is done to most of their goldens if they aren't being shown and it is really hot. You can't even see it unless she is lying on her back. Pebbles actually seems a bit more comfortable when that is done - obviously would never ever shave the whole dog though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes! We have our ac on mostly for our dogs. Mainly our Golden. We have central air so the whole house is cooler. I also switched walks to early morning and late evening. When we are in the yard playing I have a kiddie pool for her and bring her in when she starts panting. Do you have a wire crate or plastic? The plastic ones are hot for them. You might want to try letting him sleep out of the crate at night so he can lay on a cooler floor. I just did this with my Golden. She would wander around the house not knowing where to sleep but we put a gate up in the hall and she only has access to 2 bedrooms, she did great and sleeps better. In the Winter she will lay in the snow. She loves colder more than the hotter summer months.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,913 Posts
Maggie loved the hot weather. I have to protect her from herself. 10 min out and we go back in for water with ice cubes or if out for longer there's no running around and I will give her a frozen bone.

She will stay out there if I let her, obviously I don't. But she's very lean and carries no extra weight so I think that is always a big help.

Inside, she's completely fine with no panting up to 76°

·
Registered
616 Posts
Our old lab has the opposite problem. He seems to be cold all the time when we don't have the wood stove going. I cover him with a blanket and he will stay there for hours. In the past, he would not have tolerated that and would have stood up and moved. Poor old guy.
Jules

Attachments

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,913 Posts
My wife turned the a/c on this morning and little Pearl went right to the nearest vent and put her head up against it ! :D

View attachment 873763
Be careful, a common cause of dry skin is from a dog laying on our in front of a vent. The constant air blowing on them can really dry then out. So if you see dry, flaky skin, it could be from the vent

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maggie loved the hot weather. I have to protect her from herself. 10 min out and we go back in for water with ice cubes or if out for longer there's no running around and I will give her a frozen bone.

She will stay out there if I let her, obviously I don't. But she's very lean and carries no extra weight so I think that is always a big help.

Inside, she's completely fine with no panting up to 76°
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! We do have a wire crate, so that shouldn’t add to the issue. A few nights ago we tried pushing the crate adjacent to the bathroom so that we could leave the door open and he could sleep either in the crate or on the cool bathroom floor. However, that seem to panic him since it was out of his normal great routine, and he started trying to climb the bathroom walls! I totally agree that it would be great for him to be able to be out of the crate at night so he could find a comfortable spot for himself, but I have a feeling he would either pace or end up in our bed, which is the only spot in the house that I am keeping dog free at this point! I will try some of the tips offered though! Great ideas!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! We do have a wire crate, so that shouldn’t add to the issue. A few nights ago we tried pushing the crate adjacent to the bathroom so that we could leave the door open and he could sleep either in the crate or on the cool bathroom floor. However, that seem to panic him since it was out of his normal great routine, and he started trying to climb the bathroom walls! I totally agree that it would be great for him to be able to be out of the crate at night so he could find a comfortable spot for himself, but I have a feeling he would either pace or end up in our bed, which is the only spot in the house that I am keeping dog free at this point! I will try some of the tips offered though! Great ideas!
It took me a couple times with getting mine used to sleeping out. She would pace like you said and couldn't figure out where to sleep. She has slept in her crate since a pup so that's all she knew. She is 2 now and seems to have it figured out. We have a gate in the hallway and she will sleep on the floor at the end of our bed then go to the dog bedroom at about 5 in the morning. lol Yes dog bedroom. I also have another dog and she loves her crate so we just leave her in there. It's cute to see my Rainey laying next to her sisters bed in the morning. I totally agree on no dogs in the bed. I don't want hair in my face when I'm sleeping ;) Good luck on figuring things out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts