Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son asked if I had seen any comments on the golden forum about their golden doing what Tundra does. When Tundra's going to get on the couch he puts his head on the couch and waits for a minute or so (he doesn't have to have permission to get up there). If you happen to pet him, then he lifts his head up, puts it back down and waits again. It's hilarious and my son says he's finding his "center"!LOL He does do the same thing when he's wanting on the bed early in the morning, but he only gets to hop up there if I say it's okay....otherwise I tell him to go lay down which he does with a very big sigh! And when my husband is out of town, he starts VERY early "asking" cause he knows he's got more room!LOL

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
That is very cute of your dog! My golden Annie, who passed away a few years ago, used to do this with the couch. If I was sitting on the couch she would come up, place her chin on the cushion and would stand and stare at the back of the couch as if waiting for permission to get up. I would pat the couch over and over and tell her it was okay and she would continue to stand there. She would eventually crawl up beside me, but sometimes it took quite a bit of time. I adopted her from a shelter when she was two and I had a feeling her previous owners probably had some special word that gave her permission to get up on their furniture, but I never did figure out the right word the entire 8.5 years I had her! Now as to the bed, she would happily leap up whenever she wanted to! :)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
My boy used to do that when I first brought him home but he eventually overcame this and gets on the furniture like a champ. :) see pic below.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Yep, Flora still does this. I figure she's sort of asking permission, although a lot of times I think she's asking for help. She can easily jump up on my bed, but she much prefers me to lift her up. ;) Goldens are sweet!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
mose still does that..if he wants to go out he puts his head on the arm of the couch (the couch is by the door) and when he wants on the couch and on the bed when he wants on.. we have to assure him its okay to get on them lol

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Hali used to do that too, never gave a thought to it but I think you are right about it being a means of asking permission.

·
Charlie's mom
107 Posts
My Charlie also does this, he will be 3 soon. I think it is the cutest thing, like most of you stated it's liek they are asking permission to come on up, because as soon as I say "okay up" he jumps right on up. The other funny thing too, is we have a white 13 year old cat, and Charlie and Casper love to lay on the same spot on the couch. Well if Casper gets their first Charlie puts his head on the arm cushion and looks at me with those big brown eyes thinking " are you going to move him for me". The sad thing is I do move the cat over a little...

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
One of our goldens and one of the cats also like the same corner of the couch. Darby will stand right in front of cat when he's in the "place", but the cat can out wait, out stare and out ignore the dog. Finally, Darby will either sigh dramatically and get on the other end, look pleadingly at the humans for a little help (which we sometimes give) and occasionally try to "nose" the cat over. The funniest thing was when he jumped up in the sliver of space between the cat and the arm of the couch and then proceeds to lay down in the smallest space possible which meant he was lying mostly on the cat. The funny thing was neither the dog or the cat would give and they laid there and pointedly ignored the other until they were both asleep. Wish I had the taken a picture, but I was too busy laughing!

Darby also sleeps with me every night and will grab a toy and head to bed when I tell him its bedtime. Sometimes when he's feeling particularly silly, he'll put his front end on the bed and stand there looking pitiful until I go and lift his hind end on the bed. He doesn't have any problems getting up there since we only have a mattress and no box springs. But it’s a throw back to when he was a pup. I'd help him up by putting his front feet on the bed, reaching down under his back legs and under his belly and count "1, 2, freeeeeee" and lift him up. Think he misses the attention sometimes! We got rid of the box springs because it made the bed really tall and it was hard for him to get up there when he was littler.

The other night I went into the den to sit down and watch TV and realized both recliners in the room had cats curled up in the seats and I had a dog at each recliner end of the couch. My options were the floor or the not-so-comfy center section of the couch! I had to laugh. Finally decided to uproot one of the cats and take that chair cause he'd cuddle with me and go right back asleep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts