Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live where it is really hot, does your dog still want to go on walks? Does he want to walk very far? If he doesn't like to walk in the heat, then does he gain weight?

·
Registered
21,189 Posts
It's brutally hot here today (97 degrees and humid, heat index over 105) and these dogs do NOT want to go outside let alone go for walks. Even the young, playful ones are sitting or lying down after just a few minutes out. They want to come back into the A/C (torqued up real high today!) and lie on the cool floor. Luckily, we don't tend to have many consecutive days like this so it's not really necessary to adjust their food.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
When it's too hot outside (30°C to 40°C) I'M the one who doesn't want to walk! :p: Usually in the day if it's too hot I'll go play with Molly in the backyard alot, with the hose so she can run and cool down... Then I'll walk her in the evening when the sun goes down! :)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Noah sticks his head out the door, looks at me like "would you walk in this" turns around and sits in the AC. :)
Not heat lovers at all.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We have it over 95-105 most of the summer. Over 70 in the sun(no shade trees in the desert) they don't want to walk. It's cool...65-80 in the early morning, 5-6.30 so that's when we walk.

They'll walk at night, sunset time when it's still 90 outside, but no sun....we get in about an hour. The rest of the day they lounge, and zip out for potty breaks.

The sun is the problem rather than the heat...unless it's humid, then they get stressed quickly.

They eat a lot less in summer than winter, about 1/3 less in the heat of summer...so don't gain weight.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Bama doesnt mind hot weather and will play, go for walks and fetching his tennis ball. But I do notice the ball times are shorter with the hot weather and then he gos and lays in the pool on the steps.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Flora doesn't like to walk in the hot weather, but she has no problem with playing outside. She'll run around like a maniac for 5 minutes and then go plunk down in her pool for a rest, and then repeat the whole thing over 4 or 5 more times. I still walk her, but I wait until about 6pm or so when it's cooler, and I walk her in places where she has access to water.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny has always had a problem walking in the humidity. Even early morning walks when it's still in the 70s.

She gets what I call 'backwards breathing'. She blows repeatedly through her flews, so of a backwards gasping. It appears to frighten her, too. She will get that "Help me, mom" pleading look on her face.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Selka hates the heat but Gunner would retrieve anytime. I just won't throw it for him when it's 97 and 90% humidity. : (
But Dad throws it for him at night, about 11 p.m. : )

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I really hate to see people walking dogs when it is so hot outside. They do not realize how hot the pavement gets on those poor dogs feet.

I don't even like that my boys have to stay in a kennel while we are at work, even though it is indoor/outdoor and they have big fans inside. David's mom comes over and fills their water and wets down the mats outside during the day, and Trip has a pool he lays in all day (Dooley doesn't like the pool). Still, if I could trust them inside it would be so much better, but my boys inside is like two bulls in a China shop even when we are there to supervise, I could just imagine if we weren't there.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Mine have never refused a walk (20 below to 100F) but when it is going to be above 90, I go at 5am. I have to protect them from the heat because they certainly won't protect themselves.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Starting in mid to late May and going through mid to late October we walk around 5 a.m. for the morning walk, and after 7:30 p.m. at night (we want them to cool down before bed). We put their bananas on that have the polymers that we soak in cold water and is supposed to keep them cool(er) on the walks. They are dry by the time we hit the one mile mark.

I feel sorry for all of you in the northern climates having to deal with the high heat/humidity we southerners deal with annually. It's miserable. It's particularly bad here when we are under heat advisory/warnings--where the heat/humidity index is over 105 and the air temperature doesn't cool below 80 overnight. We have a tempature clock on a bank we walk by in the mornings and there is nothing more depressing than seeing the temperature at 81 at 5 a.m. There is a difference between 79 and 80 in comfort level too!

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
Gibby doesn't like walking in the heat at all. We go early in the morning and/or in the evenings. During the day, we just go out for potty breaks and to sit in the shade for a few minutes.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
When it's hot I try to take mine for walks early in the morning. After a little bit she is looking for wet grass to wallow in. She will just lay down when she is tired. And I make sure she has some water to drink when we are on a long walk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts