Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My teen dog Buddy and my teen 18 year old daughter have a love hate relationship. He drives her crazy sometimes with his attention seeking antics when she is revising for her exams, and when she takes care of him for me if I am out of town he can be diabolic with her. My daughter had a major school exam today, that she has been preparing for 3 years. It did not go well. When I picked her up she cried so hard. By the time we got home she had calmed down but she had make up all down her face and she was pale and shaky. When I opened the door Buddy came charging over as usual but then kind of pulled up short without actually jumping all over my Darling daughter. He sat down and his ears pricked up in the way that they do when he is concentrating or trying to decipher something and then he lay down in front of her and put his bum up in the air in that kind of submissive play gesture that they make with other dogs. Am describing this in detail because usually he would be trying to kiss her face and wrestle her to the floor. We sat outside and had lunch on the terrasse. She cried some more and Buddy had still not even tried to touch her once. Then at the end of lunch she said Mum be discrete but look and pointed Under the table. He was sitting next to her with his head on her lap gazing soulfully up at her. Buddy is a boisterous rough and tumble 9 month old and is in the face of everyone he meets. But today I know for a fact he felt and sensed that my daughter was in distress and he was working out in his Young brain what he should do for the best to comfort her. Please send some positive thoughts to my daughter and hope for a miracle with her exams. And I would love to know if your dog sometimes has this 6th sense.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Piper does! She can sense spirits and knows when my dad is coming home. Dogs are so special! :)

Reactions: 110865

·
Millie's Dad, Chris
1,343 Posts
Wifey had an operation recently. When we got home she remarked about how Millie knew that she was in pain and she was being a good girl because "animals know". I said "No they don't" and with that Millie jumped up at Wifey and pawed her right in her incision site. "I told you so" soon followed.

Good luck to your daughter

·
149 Posts
Dogs certainly know when something is up. About 8 years ago my two girls at the time, Leah and Destiny, became VERY attached to my mother. I was the one who fed them, let them out, etc. and while they loved everyone, they were usually glued to my side.. But out of no where they started sleeping next to my mom instead of me, would cry to come back in immediately after potty breaks when they would normally play and run to her side.. This went on for MONTHS. Eventually they found a golf ball sized tumor on her brain. Once she had it removed, my dogs were back in bed with me.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
My husband has had some major health issues the past two years (cancer diagnosis and heart attack). Ever since Steve had surgery Duke watches out for him. Both were extra gentle when he first came home from the hospital
ImageUploadedByPG Free1435112620.958356.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Goldens are the best

There is no doubt that being around dogs is therapeutic. Even Buddy knew when it was time to cool it.

As for your daughter.....While those leaving exams are important and it feels like her whole world is upside down, it is time to put things in perspective. What I used to tell my students (I taught for a decade though not in Europe) is that you can only give your best and take what you can from the experience. In the big scheme of things, may this be the worst thing that ever happens to her. She has her health, she has you, she's not in jail....It's a good day:)

Attachments

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no doubt that being around dogs is therapeutic. Even Buddy knew when it was time to cool it.

As for your daughter.....While those leaving exams are important and it feels like her whole world is upside down, it is time to put things in perspective. What I used to tell my students (I taught for a decade though not in Europe) is that you can only give your best and take what you can from the experience. In the big scheme of things, may this be the worst thing that ever happens to her. She has her health, she has you, she's not in jail....It's a good day:)
Hi there. I do know what you mean. I too teach, and I agree with you. But my daughter has been preparing these exams for 3 years to obtain a place in Med School (in the UK). It is so competitive and it looks like she is going to lose her offer for the sake of a couple of points. As she said this morning " I think it would be easier if I had just failed big time full stop!" But today is another day, onwards and upwards! Thanks for the kind words.

·
Charlotte
6,453 Posts
Best of luck to your daughter. She may have done a lot better than she thinks.it is very hard to get onto med school here in Canada.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,686 Posts
I definitely think our dogs do, I've seen it many times and after reading the posts of members, I really believe they do.

Best of luck to your daughter with her exams for Med School.

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Hi there. I do know what you mean. I too teach, and I agree with you. But my daughter has been preparing these exams for 3 years to obtain a place in Med School (in the UK). It is so competitive and it looks like she is going to lose her offer for the sake of a couple of points. As she said this morning " I think it would be easier if I had just failed big time full stop!" But today is another day, onwards and upwards! Thanks for the kind words.
It is really hard on kids who do so well, say top 5%, but they need to be top 1% to get into the course they want. How can top 5% be a fail! But there are ways to get into these courses as mature age students i.e. not straight from school. Our son has just qualified as a lawyer - it was his second degree as he didn't have the marks to get into Law straight from school. Interestingly all the kids who went into his law intake straight from school dropped out! Also the journey you begin is not necessarily the one you end up on (and thus speaks the chocolate shop lady ha ha)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
You guys are not talking about a sixth sense IMO, no offense of course. Goldens pick up on feelings easily.

My first girl had a sixth sense. I would look for something I misplaced for an hour and give up and ask her were it was. Less than a minute later I found it every time. She always knew which fork in the path take too because I thought it. I tried to trick her sometimes by thinking something else after my thought, nope.

Everyone that knew her called her a evolved being. She was magic.

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sixth sense

noun
"A power of perception seemingly independent of the five senses; keen intuition".

Let's just say then that Buddy has a particularly keen intuition for such a Young pup.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I respect your definition of the sixth sense BuddyinFrance. Lets just say I have seen over and beyond the definition of it. Things that cannot be explained. More of a spiritual nature of things that I have a hard time of describing.

You should look into therapy work with Buddy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts