Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waffling. I have the phone in my hand and the vet's number in front of me, but money is so so tight for me right now that I figured I'd get some second opinions.

I noticed a swatch of damp fur on the inside of Flora's thigh yesterday. I trimmed away the fur, and lo and behold, the skin is pinkish-red and was oozing pus in some areas. I immediately trimmed away as much fur as possible, washed the skin with antibacterial soap, sprayed it with Genta Spray, and then dusted it with Gold Bond.

Anyhow... today she is acting so weird! I repeated the process this morning, and ever since then she refuses to walk. And when she does walk, she runs like her butt is on fire and promptly sits down. I rolled her over and looked at the wound today and it doesn't look any worse, but I do notice that the raw-skin look seems to run down the inside of her leg too. Overall the wound doesn't look that bad at all - just a little pink with some pus, and a small red dot (flea bite?) off to the side. I'm actually wondering - is it possible that she urinated herself yesterday (she has urinary incontinence sometimes) and slept in it, and burned herself?

But is her behavior enough for me to bring her in? What would you do? I'm staying home from work today to monitor her.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I would take her in. With the itching etc. that she's been having, I wouldn't take the chance.
Also, when I read your other thread, I did wonder if she maybe has scabies, and you would want the vet to do a skin scraping for that.
Let us know what they say!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I would, too. If it is a hotspot and you can't get it under control, it can turn into something small to a huge mess in a day.

Reactions: Florabora22

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I would stop using the Genta spray entirely - that stuff burns raw wounds like fire. Try gold Listerine, pat on let dry, dust with Gold Bond. But if she is still acting off, or it doesn't look any better this afternoon I'd take her to the vet.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
If there is any fur stuck in the wound, walking and/or standing would most likely pull and hurt and if any urine got on the wound, well..... just OUCH!

Copper often had to have antibiotics when he had skin problems, but he also was a senior with no spleen.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I find the gentaved spray stings...never use it on my guys. On the extremely rare occasion that my dogs do have a hot spot, cephalexin really helps.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I tried to use that Gentaspray on the first hotspot my dog got, after the first application, as soon as he saw it he would run away and hide . I switched to gently 'flushing' with lukewarm,strong brewed regular tea, works well to dry and heal, without the pain or added irritation.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'm a big fan of the tea remedy, too.
Riley had a couple hot spots when he was a pup. I'd take a tea bag (just regular old Lipton black tea) soak it in real hot water for about a minute, let it cool completely and hold that on the spot for five or ten minutes at a time. I was amazed at how quickly the spots dried and healed up.

But you might want to run her in, just to have a vet take a look at it.
Hope she heals up soon. Poor baby - that has to be miserable.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh, I've called 2 vets and neither of them can get her in today. Her skin looks okay except for a quarter sized spot that is oozing yellowish pus, which to me indicates she has an infection. I guess I got spoiled by my vet back home, who would always squeeze us in if there was an emergency like this. She's still acting funny, refusing to move. I won't use the Genta Spray anymore. Back to the phone book!

Eta: third time's a charm! I got an appointment for her in about an hour. :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Oh your poor baby!!! I hope you find someone that will take a look at her!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Ouch! I'm glad you are getting her in.

We use a great product-- puff it on the hot spot. It's called NeoPredDef with Tetracaine. It drys it up and provides some pain relief as well.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Keep us all posted.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Poor girl! Hope she's doing okay!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
my opinion.... whenever you are wondering if something warrants a vet trip then that means it does.

I could say its just a hotspot or its just this or that... but if I am wondering if it needs a vet trip to me that means it does.

just my two cents

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my opinion.... whenever you are wondering if something warrants a vet trip then that means it does.

I could say its just a hotspot or its just this or that... but if I am wondering if it needs a vet trip to me that means it does.

just my two cents
It's true, but I do not have an expendable income, so for me I have to sit and really think hard if it warrants a trip to the vet or not. Sometimes I tend to overanalyze things and make mountains out of molehills. :eek:

But... this was not the case. The vet found another hot spot developing at Flora's tailbase. This one was smaller but grosser looking - more bloody and a bit deeper than the one on her belly. She had the fur shaved around that one to keep it open and dry. The vet prescribed antibiotics and an oral steroid, since the Genta Spray didn't agree with Flora.

So now I have Flora sitting at my feet gnawing on a marrow bone - a well deserved snack. She weighed in at 58lbs! That's 2lbs less than last time she was at the vet, yay. :D

Thanks for everyone's input, it was appreciated!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I learned my lesson with hot spots - they can grow real fast and often times once the fur is shaved, it is a lot bigger than you thought. Glad she is on her way to healing.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I am sorry there was a second one (but glad the vet discovered it so it could be treated along with the 1st one)
I still don't understand why hot spots develop. I mean people don't just suddenly get big weeping oozing skin infections

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am sorry there was a second one (but glad the vet discovered it so it could be treated along with the 1st one)
I still don't understand why hot spots develop. I mean people don't just suddenly get big weeping oozing skin infections
Unfortunately, I think Flora's were from flea bites. :confused: I boarded her at this really nice facility that I've boarded her at before, and the moment I got her back on Thursday she was itching up a storm! The last time (and only time) Flora ever got a hot spot was from flea bites.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Glad you were able to get her in. Those cannot be a pleasant thing for them.
I know flea bites can really wreak havoc if a dog is super sensitive to them. Our Alomar was severely allergic to flea bites. One bite and he was an absolute mess for weeks.
Hope she enjoyed her marrow bone. :)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, fleas are the devil. Unfortunately Flora is still acting weird. She went outside for a pee this morning but has refused to move since then. She's never taken pain or sickness very well, my poor girl. She's very sedate this morning - moping around and heaving loud sighs. But on the up side, the hot spot on her belly is scabbing over!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts