Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I* dont think so but I will let you decide

I have noticed this add several times on kijiji. The owner has a Golden thats not papered. She breeds him to females and thinks its okay because shes a Vet Tech and knows what shes doing. Also the dog hasnt has his hips graded by the OFA or any registry alike, she says her vet is good at reading films and says her dog is dysplasia free and okay to breed. The dog has had his eyes checked by her vet but not certified. This dogs heart or thyroid isnt cleared either. I think thats the issues in the breed they recommend getting certified for but I cant be sure as I am still fairly new to the breed.

She claims he produces wonderful puppies and is a great respresentation of the breed. I am a bit bothered because shes a vet tech. She shoves apying/neutering down every ones throats but feels shes the only one who is capable of keeping an intact dog (this is what she said in an email to me)

Is she breeding to standards or is she considered a back yard breeder? Her dog is a therapy dog but doesnt show or any of that. She claims shes NOT a BYB on her adds.

If anyone wants the link to the add PM me.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If she is a Vet Tech she should know better! Sounds very much like a standard back yard breeder!

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She thinks because shes a vet tech that shes capable of determining what dog should be bred. But if I brought my Rottie into see her when I had him if he didnt have hip issues she would of told me not to breed him, yet he would of been the same "quality" as her dog per say. She thinks only she being a tech is capable of owning an intact dog and breeding him

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would send her the AKC information on what makes a quality breeder with clearances done by cardiologists, opthomologists and ortho vets. In all that info there is nothing saying anything about vet techs being a experts in the field. And highlight everything in bold. And also post it publicly on Kiiji.

This is a good post to throw at her and online from the GRCA

Golden Retriever Club of America - The GRCA Club

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe we should have more people email her?

What should I say on this kijiji add? Also what should I make the title? She will just blow me off and call me crazy when I email her with this stuff.

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-pet...etriever-Pups-waiting-list-W0QQAdIdZ331850274 There is her add. In other adds where shes had puppies advertised she has admitted the hips werent graded by the OFA, the eyes werent done by an Opthomologist. Feel free to inquire for yourself. She will give you the speech to lol. Shes the owner of the male.

I inquired using a different account so I will post her reply here. I am offended she thinks only techs are capable of breeding dogs...

·
Registered
101 Posts
why bother ? There are hundreds of people breeding dogs that shouldn't be. You could be sitting behind the computer all day long emailing people who are irresponsible or not up to standard in their breeding practices.

It won't make one difference and the person receiving the email could probably care less that one disapproves. It certainly won't stop them from doing what they are doing and yes they'll probably think your just another fruitcake sending them an email.

·
Banned
616 Posts
" In her pictures her coat might look funny, her mommy shaves her a couple of times a year so it is not her full coat!"
really?
oh my, its worse than I thought. 100% BYB. No question.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a reply...she basically said because her dogs arent CKC registered they cannot be graded through the OFA which is bull because my Rottie wasnt CKC or AKC and he was graded.

""Hi there, this is actually the owner of the sire. The owner of the dam (Dakota) isn't too computer savvy both of the parents of the litter are not CKC registered, therefore no, they cannot be graded. The father of the sire (Otis)was CKC and from a well established kennel but was bred to his mother who was not CKC. I xrayed his hips at the clinic I was working at and had my veterinarian take a look, his hips looked beautiful. I am not too fond of CKC for personal experience reasons, but I do understand it's importance and why people will only purchase puppies with it. I have been a registered veterinarian technician for the past 6 years and you cannot believe how many "CKC" dogs I have seen with genetic issues, I was surprised and disgusted. Many of the clearances done are at a very young age, so unless the problem is very severe, you will not see any of these genetic issues until later in life, after all the breeding has been done. I also did the CKC route with my first Golden, I found breeders to be very snotty, the dog shows I entered was totally politically driven, and it really turned me off. I am very picky with whom I choose to stud my male out to, I screen them very carefully for things that aren't important to some CKC breeders (allergies, skin issues, temperament, seizures). I keep in touch with every single puppy born from my male, and not a single one has any health, temperament, any kind of issue to date. I have turned away 7 other female dogs because I didn't feel the dog met my criteria. My aim is not to produce show stock, or dogs who just look "beautiful" on the outside I want the total package. I want the ultimate family dog, a great combination of health, looks, and temperament which so many CKC dogs I've met don't have. I personally believe that my male looks better than most CKC registered dogs, not to mention has the most wonderful temperament, and balanced dog I've ever owned.

Not 100% on the contact of the pups, usually there is a 1 year health guarantee, and a basic contact that states you must return the puppy to the breeder if you can no longer care for it etc etc. I can get more info for you if you're interested. Please I recommend coming and meeting me and my male, (Dakota too) I can try to answer any questions you may have further. If you're not interested at all that's fine also, I understand why CKC is important to some people. Wish you all the best, take care,""

She thinks that her dog looks better then most CKC dogs she has met o_O

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got this reply

""The mother Dakota has been rushed to the vets for fever, and bloody discharge, this may not be a good thing. I will message you if her pregnancy is saved, we are heart broken and hoping this is nothing serious. Will answer your email if everything turns out okay, sorry for any inconvenience."

Sad, wonder if it was a false pregnancy turned into pyometra. Wouldnt of happened had they not of bred

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got this reply

""Unfortunately Dakota has to be rushed in for emergency surgery, she has pyometra (infection of the uterus) and she will be spayed. Sorry for any inconvenience, we have no future litters planned at this time.""

So my suspicions were correct..poor dog at least shes getting spayed now

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow, after scanning through the forum it appears the person I am refering to in this thread is on this forum. Hasnt posted in a few months though.

Maybe I should of looked to see if she was here before I posted this...Oh well

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The only pyometra prevention is the absence of a uterus. Breeding or not has nothing to do with it. Pyometra occurs due to the priming of the uterus by estrogen, followed by the progesterone rise. This situation happens bred or not.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "Vet Tech" told me that in this case the pyo was caused by the pregnancy as the dog was pregnant (according to her).

Not much can be done now just hope she doesnt continue to breed her unregistered, un certified dog...hopefully she doesnt decide to come back to this forum and see this thread.

All it holds is truth anyway

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Here's the deal, you were talking to a vet tech...I AM a vet.. so the vet tech is, oh yes, WRONG!!!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
So as not to scare responsible people who breed dogs, pyometra is not caused by breeding your dog. It is due to estrogen influence followed by progesterone influence... Do NOT listen to people who are not educated about this!!!! Whether the dog is bred or not, it is the hormones who set it up!!!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
We are so lucky to have a good vet willing to educate us! Thank you, Sally'sMom.

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the deal, you were talking to a vet tech...I AM a vet.. so the vet tech is, oh yes, WRONG!!!
Lmao, so, its not possible to have a pregnant dog develop pyometra? Or is it possible and its related to the hormones vs the pregnancy?

I am not much of a female dog person so this is all new to me

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Pregnancy does not cause pyometra it is the hormones in the dog's cycle that does. In fact, that is the rationale behind removing the ovaries and leaving the uterus behind. The uterus will not get infected without the hormones from the ovaries....

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Absolutely SallysMom--it is having a season, bred or not, and the hormones that go with the cycle that cause the pyo. I have had two responsible breeder friends go through it with their girls--one who had not been bred and ended up with a closed pyo, and one who had been bred and got an open pyo and of course lost the pregnancy. They were each very lucky that they managed to save their girls as they knew the warning signs and got on it quickly.

If the stud owner is a vet tech and doesn't get that pyo can occur with an intact bitch, whether bred or not then she is certainly demonstrating that she just doesn't get it (on top of the BS about not needing formal clearances)!! And I would hope she does see this thread so she realizes just how irresponsible she is being.

Reactions: Mssjnnfer
1 - 20 of 21 Posts