Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still on our GR hunt and talked to a what seems to be an awesome breeder who's dogs are shown, champion, all the clearance test done.... she has a dog that she held back to keep but he is not going to keep because he is not big enough to show, he is 8 months old and the price would be $1,800... is this the going rate? thank u in advanced:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's pretty high. It's not even show quality. How did they justify the price? 6+ month old dogs don't pull the premium that younger puppies do. You should be able to find a dog for less than half of that amount. Just my $.02...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
WOW that is kind of high for a dog that the breeder feels will not do well in the show ring. What are you planning on dong with the dog? By champions do you mean conformation or are they also working dogs?

·
Kate
21,201 Posts
It seems very high to me, but... I know that dogs out east and from certain big name breeders can be more expensive than what we see here.

Paying a puppy price for a "started dog" isn't that surprising to me. Some breeders do it on a regular basis, with a few exceptions.

I guess one exception I can think of would be a breeder I was talking to who might be rehoming her 3 year old female after her next litter. This will be a rehome, not a sale. And generally these dogs are placed with people she knows or trains with.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
That's not an insane price, but it's certainly higher than I'd want to pay, regardless of what stage of puppyhood the dog is in. $1800 is probably a lot less than the dog has cost the breeder so far, in terms of the breeding, the clearances on the parents, and the vet care, so it's hardly outrageous, but it's relatively high, at least to my sense of pricing in the northeast.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have a friend who sold her bitch that wasn't going to be showable for $2000 at about 15 months. She had done prelims, cardiac clearance, vaccines, and eye clearance. Plus had trained the dog as well. Just because a breeder decides this isn't their show dog, it doesn't mean it isn't a beautiful quality dog. Of course I never place mine, so I have a houseful....

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty high. It's not even show quality. How did they justify the price? 6+ month old dogs don't pull the premium that younger puppies do. You should be able to find a dog for less than half of that amount. Just my $.02...
ty u for ur replies:)

well her puppies are 2,000 so she said since he is older she would take $200 off, no she said had high hopes for him to show him, he looks and walks great but he is going to be an inch too short.

WOW that is kind of high for a dog that the breeder feels will not do well in the show ring. What are you planning on dong with the dog? By champions do you mean conformation or are they also working dogs?
by champions i guess what i mean is when i look at the pedigree his family tree is all won champion titles:confused: example, they all have a CH next to their name. as for what i want with the dog, just a loving pet:)

It seems very high to me, but... I know that dogs out east and from certain big name breeders can be more expensive than what we see here.

Paying a puppy price for a "started dog" isn't that surprising to me. Some breeders do it on a regular basis, with a few exceptions.

I guess one exception I can think of would be a breeder I was talking to who might be rehoming her 3 year old female after her next litter. This will be a rehome, not a sale. And generally these dogs are placed with people she knows or trains with.
yes the NE is crazy with prices:( and started she said he insn't house trained yet but i guess he is crate trained (b/c she talked about him being calm when he goes in his crate!)

That's not an insane price, but it's certainly higher than I'd want to pay, regardless of what stage of puppyhood the dog is in. $1800 is probably a lot less than the dog has cost the breeder so far, in terms of the breeding, the clearances on the parents, and the vet care, so it's hardly outrageous, but it's relatively high, at least to my sense of pricing in the northeast.
from my research it seems a little on the high side, but I also was factoring if i bought a puppy i would have to take him/her for her shots, this puppy wouldn't need a check up until he was one (so that might save me a few $$)

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a friend who sold her bitch that wasn't going to be showable for $2000 at about 15 months. She had done prelims, cardiac clearance, vaccines, and eye clearance. Plus had trained the dog as well. Just because a breeder decides this isn't their show dog, it doesn't mean it isn't a beautiful quality dog. Of course I never place mine, so I have a houseful....
quality seems to be there and his temperment seems perfect for our lifestyle.

I think it's too high.
yes my DH would say this too:no:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Having gotten my Basil back at 8 1/2 months not house trained, I can tell you from experience that it is easier to house train an 8 week old puppy vs a dog that isn't house trained at 8 1/2 months...

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
from my research it seems a little on the high side, but I also was factoring if i bought a puppy i would have to take him/her for her shots, this puppy wouldn't need a check up until he was one (so that might save me a few $$)
That's a good point. You've probably gotten off the hook for at least $300-$400 of puppy vet care. Alright, you talked me into it. Sounds like a good price for a beautiful dog. Where do I sign up? ;)

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having gotten my Basil back at 8 1/2 months not house trained, I can tell you from experience that it is easier to house train an 8 week old puppy vs a dog that isn't house trained at 8 1/2 months...
really? wow, that was one of the reason i thought 8 months seemed better. b/c they have bigger bladders! Going out at 2:00 AM in cold November doesn't seem fun! lol!!

i guess it is the can't teach an old dog new trick kind of thing;)

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good point. You've probably gotten off the hook for at least $300-$400 of puppy vet care. Alright, you talked me into it. Sounds like a good price for a beautiful dog. Where do I sign up? ;)
haha!!! now talk my DH into the price!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Well, for one, Basil wouldn't "go" on a leash. And two, she eventually would "go" outside, but didn't understand it wasn't ok to "go" inside.

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you aren't wanting a puppy and don't care if it's show quality...why not look into rescues?
well, i would want a puppy and i would want an older dog, just trying to find the right one, kwim?

as for a rescue, my youngest is 5 and i have applied for dogs in the past and never even get a response:(

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
However, I am happy to report that now she has long been house trained, and she is no longer in a crate day or night. She has been the worst chewer of the nine I have owned... window sills....etc

·
Registered
471 Posts
well, i would want a puppy and i would want an older dog, just trying to find the right one, kwim?

as for a rescue, my youngest is 5 and i have applied for dogs in the past and never even get a response:(
I've seen plenty of dogs under a year of age at rescues and pounds. People get a puppy, keep it for a few months, and realize that it's more than they can handle. Just my $.02.

Ah...gotcha. We have toddlers. I doubt a breeder would have placed a dog with us if we wanted to go that route.

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen plenty of dogs under a year of age at rescues and pounds. People get a puppy, keep it for a few months and realize that it's more than they can handle. Just my $.02.

Ah...gotcha. Yeah...we have toddlers. I doubt a breeder would have placed a dog with us even if we'd decided to go that route.
yes i go on petfinder and the youngest age i have seen is the child has to be 6, but most have to be 10 and up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts