Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sex? I was watching the show about the Duggar family. The oldest is now engaged but will not kiss his fiance until they are married as he thinks it could lead to other things. Everywhere they go they have a chaperone. Is that a bit odd or maybe a good idea? I can see where kissing can start the hormones going but I can't imagine never kissing until married :no::no:

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I personally think they are fruitcakes! lol

But, to each his own, I suppose.

I certainly have not had sex with every person I kissed! But, I wouldn't marry someone I hadn't had sex with either. But that's just me. I respect other views.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We watch that show too. Their values are very conservative and that's fine but I don't know about having so many children. The older ones seem to be the ones raising the younger ones. You always see them getting the younger ones dresses of helping them in some way or another. I just don't think it's fair to the children. They never get anything new. They are home schooled so they don't socialize with other children their own age. It's all a little weird to me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have watched that show once in a while too and found some of it rather odd. I suppose in today's day and age it is great that kids choose to abstain but personally I think the first kiss with the one you love is special and wouldn't want everyone watching mine. Also I think as a mom I would feel a little weird watching my child have their first kiss. But that is just me. I agree with Gracie's mom about the older kids watching the younger ones. It is the mother and father who chose to have so many children and yet when a new baby is born they are actually assigned to an older child. That just doesn't seem fair, what about them just being kids. I could start a big rant on that fact that is for sure. Seriously though how hard is it on her body to have that many kids? She has also had two or three c-sections too, I know that is not good. Yes I agree children are precious but at what point do they realize it is dangerous for her to continue having more.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
I can't stand watching that show knowing that there are thousands of unwanted children out there in orphanages and foster homes, while the Dugger family continues to reproduce like rabbits. I know that everyone has a right to reproduce, but I personally think they're being very selfish. (I'm not trying to start an argument, I totally understand if people disagree with me, and I respect your opinions!)

·
18,122 Posts
I totally agree...

I didn't even want one- and we've already took life long measures to make sure this never happens again. If I have to, god forbid, have a C section, I am having my junk handled too. NO MORE... NO WAY.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree...

I didn't even want one- and we've already took life long measures to make sure this never happens again. If I have to, god forbid, have a C section, I am having my junk handled too. NO MORE... NO WAY.
I have to ask how you can be so adamant about not having anymore kids when you haven't even had this one yet? Can you considered that you may fall madly in love with being a mom and having a child? My husband is an only child and oh how he regrets never having a sibling. To this day he wishes he had a brother or sister who could help him with his aging mother and uncle. As a young boy he was constantly dragged around with all his old relatives--he never knew how to share and he admits that he was selfish. I hope you do not regret having the abililty to have more kids--I have 3 and I sure wanted all of them and even more.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
omg does that mean i will be having sex with countless aunties and friends people i have kissed at new year, wow is there enough time left.

weird views i reckon.

·
"GO TARHEELS!!!"
772 Posts
The original post was "Does kissing lead to sex?". My opinion is that it doesn't have to, but it can if that is what you want to do.

My wife and I kissed before marriage, but abstained until after marriage from sex. That was our decision based on the morals that we grew up with and desired to continue.

Just my opinion, but I think that having a chaperone on every date is a bit overkill if you have talked about your wants and ideas and have respect for your fiance's wants and ideas.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Even though I don't agree with this family's values, they are THEIR values . That is what this country is all about. Why we have the freedom to worship and raise our children according to our own values.
At least their kids aren't out on the streets doing drugs and getting in trouble.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
i find that to be extreme - kissing doesn't automatically lead to sex.

i do have a coworker who is a very diligent (sorry, can't think of another word) Jehovah's Witness. when she starting dating her husband they were not allowed to be alone together - but, they were both in their mid twenties, not even as young as 18 (which, imho is waaaayyyy to early to marry). i found it all very strange.

·
18,122 Posts
Well, if I was not deathly afraid of pain, labor, and birth I'd MAYBE consider another, but the trauma to my mental health of having to undergo any kind of physical medical stuff is not worth it. Even if this birth goes perfectly, I would have no guarantee that another one would. I for one liked being an only child :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think it's great that we all have the opportunity to raise our children the way we believe is right but 18 of them!!! The problem I have with them is that the children don't seem to be experiencing the natural progression of "growing up." They aren't put into situations where they can make mistakes and learn from them from what I see. They are sheltered from the outside world which to some extent is good, we all do that, but theirs is to a degree that could be detrimental to them.

·
18,122 Posts
I think it's great that we all have the opportunity to raise our children the way we believe is right but 18 of them!!! The problem I have with them is that the children don't seem to be experiencing the natural progression of "growing up." They aren't put into situations where they can make mistakes and learn from them from what I see. They are sheltered from the outside world which to some extent is good, we all do that, but theirs is to a degree that could be detrimental to them.
I totally agree with this. Word for word.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I think the Duggars and the whole no kissing/chaperone thing are really out there, but they seem happy, so who am I to judge. It hasn't been that long that the whole no kissing/chaperone deal was the norm (Victorian times). What is considered moral ebbs and flows.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
She has also had two or three c-sections too, I know that is not good.
I'm not nit picking or offended, I'm just curious what you mean. I have read that trying to do "regular" birth following a c-section increases your chances of uterine rupture.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jenna---childbirth is really not THAT bad---use any drugs they offer to make you comfortable. I am betting that once you have your baby boy, you will forget any pain you have. I personally would rather have 10 babies than go through dental work.

·
18,122 Posts
VBAC is possible from what I read, but can be risky. I wouldn't think repeated C sections would be healthy... wouldn't they weaken the uterus? But I really don't know much about that. However, wouldn't so many pregnancies, regardless of how they end, be bad for a body?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts