Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start let me just say that I love Labs just as much as I love Goldens. However, for some reason it really irks me when people refer to Murphy as a lab. I know it shouldn't, because honestly before I got a golden I probably wouldn't have known the difference. But I actually had some guy argue with me telling me that Murphy was a lab/golden mix. Um, hello dude, I have his AKC papers!! I promise he's pure. He says that goldens have long hair. Duh, he's only 3 months old. It takes time to grow in. Anyway, sorry for the vent, I just wondered if it ever bugs anyone else or if I'm just overly annoyed. Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I really do love labs, I just wish people weren't always so ignorant.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It is frustrating sometimes. I've had a number of people tell me they have a Golden Lab too. I just smile and think to myself "You can't fix stupid". :doh:

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I had my VET ask if Flip was a golden/lab mix. I've also heard the term "golden lab" many times. It doesn't really bother me. If I tried to talk about sports I'd mess that up. I bet the one that really drives people crazy is how I always hear Bernese Mountain Dogs being called Swissies.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Now...I've done it:doh: Yep..mistaken a golden for a lab. The lady was cool and I was embarrassed. Of course....now I'm educated. I know Goldens. I know labs. So based on my past ignorant experience....I'm tolerant of mistakes.

BUT if someone is going to argue with me about it.....that is going to tick me off.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
It does annoy me. A lot of people say, "I used to have/currently have a Lab too" and I say, "Oh, mine are Goldens" and they say, "Huh? Same thing" and that's usually when I let it go.

My Whippet (33 pounds in racing weight) gets called a "Great Dane" a lot. ***? lol

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My Whippet (33 pounds in racing weight) gets called a "Great Dane" a lot. ***? lol
LOL, I could see greyhound or IG, but Great Dane? That's almost as bad as my golden being called a bluetick coonhound. But I chalk that one up to extreme ignorance on someone's part.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
That always used to annoy me before Tucker started getting his golden feathering and more of an adult coat. When he was probably around 15 weeks old and had just blown his puppy fuzz and had next to nothing for a coat, we had an employee of a locally owned pet store insist that he was a yellow lab. When we told her that he is a golden, she got this really confused look on her face and said "Really????? Are you sure??? He really looks like a lab to me!" Yes Einstein...I think we are perfectly aware of what breed of dog we have, thank you! Our nextdoor neighbors also thought he was "some sort of lab mix." :doh:

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Yeah, it bothers me a little. The other week Scout was playing with this young puppy. I asked the owner what she was and she said 'lab retriever' and I was like, oh, ok, she looks like she could be a lab. But then, when she confirmed that Scout was a golden she mentioned her dog being part golden. Huh? Yeah it was a cross between a lab and a [golden] retriever so it was lab retriever! :doh:

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Hudson has been refered to as a wooly mammoth (??) and a "what kind of dog IS that?" When I tell people he is a Golden Retriever they are impressed though so it kinda makes up for it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Nope, doesn't bother me at all. I stand at the dog park and can't identify the breed of half the dogs there. So I don't expect anyone to identify my dog's breed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yeah, it bothers me a little. The other week Scout was playing with this young puppy. I asked the owner what she was and she said 'lab retriever' and I was like, oh, ok, she looks like she could be a lab. But then, when she confirmed that Scout was a golden she mentioned her dog being part golden. Huh? Yeah it was a cross between a lab and a [golden] retriever so it was lab retriever! :doh:
Oh yeah, I've heard this one, too. My nephew has a purebred yellow lab. He was confused because he recently was looking over the dog's papers and noticed they read "labrador retriever". So he thought that his dog actually was a lab/golden retriever mix. I explained that the breed is actually labrador retriever, but it is commonly shortened to labrador or lab. With all these crazy designer dogs, people automatically assume its a cross when they hear two names put together!

Kris

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Them confusing the breed in the first place wouldn't really bother me. It's happened to me when Mojo was a skinny little pup. What would bother me is the people arguing and asking if I was "sure" he's a Golden. THAT would bother me.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
It does not "bother" me as I realize OBVIOUSLY these are not dog people. However the other day I was shopping at a dollar store and I over heard a conversation on a cell phone, the mother was saying that her daughter wanted a puppy. So OF COURSE my ear prick. Then she said she want either a pit bull, rott, german shepard, or a golden retriever. :uhoh: Yeah they belong in that group. I then decided any dog for these people would probably be a bad idea. Ignorance.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
It does not "bother" me as I realize OBVIOUSLY these are not dog people. However the other day I was shopping at a dollar store and I over heard a conversation on a cell phone, the mother was saying that her daughter wanted a puppy. So OF COURSE my ear prick. Then she said she want either a pit bull, rott, german shepard, or a golden retriever. :uhoh: Yeah they belong in that group. I then decided any dog for these people would probably be a bad idea. Ignorance.
LOL, didn't you just want to go slap the cell phone out of her hand and walk away? That would be my forbidden urge.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It doesn't bother me. When I walk my dogs at the park, I have people ask me all the time what breeds they are. Jasmine is half golden, but she looks almost all lab, so I tell them that the boys are goldens and Jasmine is a lab. Sometimes they like to guess and think the boys are labs, too. I just let them know that labs and goldens are both retrievers so they are mostly right. I take it as an opportunity to educate people (who usually have kids with them, which is why they have stopped us in the first place).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
As I was leaving the pet store one day I saw a lady carrying a young blond puppy, I asked if I could pet her golden, she said it was a GSD. Oops, did I feel stupid. And at the time Hank was about the same age so it wasn't like I hadn't seen a golden puppy in awhile.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
LOL. Oh yeah... People used to think Cooper was an Irish Setter. And I've had people ask me the million dollar question when meeting Riley -- "He's a Golden Lab, right?" Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit. There are a lot of people out there who just aren't that familiar with the different dog breeds. If they're not a 'dog person' I can see where they might not understand the difference, or might be confused by the difference between a yellow lab/labrador retriever and a golden retriever. I just politely tell them that he's a golden. I mean, it's not like they're insulting my dog - they just don't know.

Now if someone decided to argue with me, it would definitely annoy me. I think I know what kind of dog I have.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts