Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last Golden had a really thick coat and it was never too cold for her.

Noah is now 9 months old and does not have his full doggie fur coat yet, it's pretty darn chilly here in Toronto and we go out every night for at least an hour (we're moving) and on the weekends for longer. He doesn't seem cold as a matter of fact he generally is panting. I had never considered a coat for a bigger dog but a friend of mine with Goldens said I should have a coat on him.

What say you?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I have never used a coat on my dogs. Either labs or goldens. However, they are not "outside" for long periods in extreme weather. My dogs have never acted cold, in fact we want to go in long before they do.

That being said I am getting a polar fleece for my dogs for Christmas. Teddi my young'un, had a THR I am SURE the cold must be conducted through her bones. So I figure she may appreciate it. My lab is getting one but my agility trainer told me to use it during trials between her runs so that her body does not completely cool back down, hold in some heat and keep her muscles warm. We will see how these go.

My dogs have gone swimming in Jan in 20 degree weather. They do fine. So unless you think your dog is 'cold' I would not worry about it. They do have a double coat.

Ann

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
If the temp drops 25f or colder I do have barn coats for the pack - but then again I do tend to worry too much!! LOL More for keeping muscles and joints warm as we walk - not for core temperature. After our jaunts their backs and sides feel toasty but not overly warm.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I ordered one for Molson along with some boots and it SHOULD be waiting on my doorstep for him when I get home tonight :)

This is the one that I bought from www.canvasbackpets.com. I liked the way it looked on the Golden Ret. model in the picture and that's how I made my decision! Except I ordered it in green.

I mainly wanted something that he could wear for walks in the snow and not return home soaking wet and freezing cold.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't worry too much about providing my Pochi with the coat...since Pochi don't like wearing it :-(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts