Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm considering making a deposit soon for a puppy, but I'm not 100% sure if the breeder is reputable. They were on the referral list on the Hudson Valley Retriever Club, which I got from the Golden Retriever Club of America website.

I understand they were on the referral list, but I still want to make sure before I make a deposit. They didn't really ask about my lifestyle even though I told them I was a first time owner.

Does anyone know this breeder and if so, are they reliable? For those who don't know the breeder, are all breeders on the Club website reputable?

Thanks alot!
-Noah

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
The word 'retriever' is misspelled on the site front page, and I'd be surprized if they are GRCA members- they aren't in the first section (top billing) on AKC's ads, as GRCA members are.
There is virtually no information on the site at all.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
That's a little elusive. It doesn't actually tell you which of her dogs she's breeding so you can't verify if she's actually done all the clearances. I searched for goldens with the "sands golden" name and several dogs came up but I can't even verify if they're her dogs since I don't know the breeders name.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went on the AKC website and found the breeder. The Sire is Sands Goldens Sir Austin Remington and the dam is Sandsgolden Ariel. It says you have to purchase to see the pedigree though.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Well they're breeding the sire to a bitch that's his daughter. Some people are fine with it if the breeder really knows what they're doing. Some people find it kind of gross. Personally I think it's a little risky health wise and maybe a little gross. Normal is good and they passed all the hip and elbow clearances. Eyes should be done every year so it looks like clearances are up to date.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
If you click on "vertical pedigree" you get to see a little more about the dogs behind the sire, his dam and sire. It looks like there's no clearances for the grandsire. I'd say without a doubt you can find a better pedigree. I believe New York is one of the pricier areas to purchase a golden puppy but you'll never regret getting the best, most responsibly bred dog you can find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I noticed that for some dogs it doesnt say if they were tested for the hips or eyes, just elbows. Does that mean they didnt take the test or is it just not showing the results?

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
If they don't show hip clearances but they have elbows it probably means they failed the exam, ie have hip dysplasia. It's not usual for a breeder to do elbows without hips. Some of the much older dogs might not have eye clearances because the tests weren't done that long ago I believe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts