Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of Mattiaci Goldens' reputation? I found their website mattiaci.com, and spoke to Florence.

I am trying to figure out if this is a helpful, reputable breeder, and if the following pairing will make a litter with sound conformation, health and temperament. I was able to find some health info, but I am not sure how to interpret it.

Here are the parents:

Mattiaci Que Syrah Syrah "Syrah"
and
Am CH.Glacier Philippe de Rothschild Mattiaci "Philippe"

Thank you all for your help.

Ann

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes, Florence shows and breeds goldens and I believe Cavaliers. She is a long time breeder and exhibitor and has also had some top winning Kuvasz.

She has a good reputation among her peers. As Melissa said, check on the eye clearance and looks like you are set!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a breeder myself, so not an expert.

I talked with her too when we were doing research. At that time they had multiple puppies that were ready to go to homes that were not spoken for...I understand now that is a bit of a warning sign.

I thought she was nice, but did hear from another very reputable breeder that they would no longer let her breed with any of their dogs, wouldn't let a pup go to her and wouldn't recommend them as a good breeder to get a pup from.

I ended up doing more research and looking at other breeders.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Just wanted to add that the reason I asked other breeders about Mattiaci was that I had found her on the internet, not through the breed club or a referral. So I only knew what she put on her website and as I said above, she was very nice on the phone. But as I did more research and spoke with breeders all over the NW, I made a personal decision not to go with that breeder. I was trying to give the OP my opinion and have limited personal experience with the breeder and her reputation. I was just trying to say that one of the breeders that I later came to trust (and there are many here in the Northwest), didn't recommend this breeder for me. I am not at all trying to attack her but was just trying to give the OP feedback on why I decided not to get a puppy from this breeder.

Reactions: sweetgoldie

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
did hear from another very reputable breeder that they would no longer let her breed with any of their dogs, wouldn't let a pup go to her and wouldn't recommend them as a good breeder to get a pup from.

Did this breeder give any explanation as to why? It might be nice for the OP to have some background on this....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not a breeder myself, so not an expert.

I talked with her too when we were doing research. At that time they had multiple puppies that were ready to go to homes that were not spoken for...I understand now that is a bit of a warning sign.

I thought she was nice, but did hear from another very reputable breeder that they would no longer let her breed with any of their dogs, wouldn't let a pup go to her and wouldn't recommend them as a good breeder to get a pup from.

I ended up doing more research and looking at other breeders.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Having puppies available to go to their new homes soon ahould not be a red flag. As a breeder, this happens for a variety of reasons and I have also then been a breeder who has puppies ready to go to their new homes soon but then all of a sudden has a puppy available. Life happens with dogs-people lose their jobs, get transferred, have a change in their life with their parents health, their health and the list goes on an on. I don't think any of these things happening to a person makes the family a bad home nor should it be a reflection on the breeder. I have had all these things happen and then there have been times that I or another breeder was hoping to keep a puppy from a litter and then it wasn't going to work out.

We had a litter this summer that this happened with. A person was going to take a show puppy and then some things they were working on with their house ran considerably over budget so she could no longer take a puppy. This is a very reputable breeder who many on the list have said wonderful things about. This doesn't make her or myself a bad person. Another person went to work on a Monday and found they were being transferred at work from Ohio to Atlanta. Having to put one home on the market and trying to buy another home in another city is not the greatest time to be bringing a puppy home. Again, this is not a reflection on the person or myself. But, I am glad that these people told me that there were changes in their life circumstances that it wouldn't be a good time for a puppy. So, all of a sudden, I had 2 puppies available from a litter that was 6.5 weeks old that had been previously all spoken for.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have another question. When I asked about whether the puppies have been temperament-tested. She said the puppies had been well socialized, and were outgoing and playful and that temperament testing does not yield any more information.

Is that really true? It was my understanding that temperament testing is a way of determining how the puppy reacts to different stimuli, and from there place the puppy in an appropriate home.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
There is a prior thread here discussing this breeder.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I have another question. When I asked about whether the puppies have been temperament-tested. She said the puppies had been well socialized, and were outgoing and playful and that temperament testing does not yield any more information.

Is that really true? It was my understanding that temperament testing is a way of determining how the puppy reacts to different stimuli, and from there place the puppy in an appropriate home.

I have found that temperament testing is for the puppy buyer's sake but that it really does not mean much. I have been on both sides (breeder and puppy buyer) and do not put much stock into them personally. A breeder who spends lots of time socializing and observing the pups veryday will have a MUCH better read on the pups than a one time temperament test will.
But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found that temperament testing is for the puppy buyer's sake but that it really does not mean much. I have been on both sides (breeder and puppy buyer) and do not put much stock into them personally. A breeder who spends lots of time socializing and observing the pups veryday will have a MUCH better read on the pups than a one time temperament test will.
I agree, the method doesn't matter, just the end result that the breeder can describe the temperament of the puppies and make a good pairing between puppy and family.

In our case, we have a special needs person in our household, my mom. This puppy, when grown, will be mom's companion during the day. Not all puppies in a litter will be suited to our situation, I would think.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have even considered adopting a young adult dog, as long as it has the right temperament. I have been looking on the rescue organizations websites, and found none, as of yet.

·
Registered
926 Posts
@ khiros

I just recently got a puppy (he's now 15 weeks old) and while there was a temperment test done, it's really a blip on the screen compared to all the time that the breeder spends with the litter to determine which one is the correct match. My breeder knew by 7 weeks the right puppy for me (I was open to a male or female) and the temperment test in my case matched up. My first one was picked the same way - his litter had been tested by a service dog organization and he would have gone to service school if I had not had the first pick and his temperment matches up to what the breeder and the service organization observed. But is the day to day observations that is the most important to me.

As long as you told the breeder everything about what you want in the puppy, the folks living in the house etc. she should be able to pick the right one.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I really agree with that, particularly in talking to lots of more experienced people than me. There are two exceptions though I think: retrieve test and sound sensitivity. I've heard sound sensitivity and the ability to recover is pretty set in stone. And I've retrieval at a young age shows some working ability.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Absolutely agree with this one!!! It is much more important that the breeder be spending lots of time with and socializing the puppies than if they actually go thru the steps to do a formal temperament test. If the breeder is spending time with the puppies, they know more than a temperament test can tell them. :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I don't put any stock in temperament testing, although noise sensitivity and retrieving interest are things that might hold more credence. But in theory, with the proper training, any dog can be taught to retrieve...my trainer has taught her chihuahuas to retrieve and yesterday was working on retrieving with a Havenese. Had I listened to the temperament test of my Laney where she was deemed dominant(and she was everything but...) following her breeder's recommendations, I would've turned her into a fear biter..for sure. The only thing Laney ever wanted to do was retrieve all day long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of the best things about the web is the wealth of information it makes readily available to the public. One of the worst things about it is the amount of incorrect information that can be found online. It is especially troubling when false information and lies come from an anonymous source that, for whatever reason, targets you unfairly. "2Dollys," that suggests I am an unreputable breeder. 2Dollys, you couldn't be farther from the truth. I am an AKC Breeder of Merit, AKC Silver Medallion Gold Medallion breeder of champions. I have had two national service dog organizations come to me, purchase breeding stock from my breeding program for their programs -- PAWS of MI & Giude Dogs of FL. I have titled my golden retrievers from a UD in obedience, tyng for HIT to breeding group placing AKC Champions in golden retrievers.

2Dollys, who identifies themselves as not being an expert or a breeder tells us that “I talked with her too when we were doing research. At that time they had multiple puppies that were ready to go to homes that were not spoken for...I understand now that is a bit of a warning sign.”

Really? Since I don’t usually take reservations on unborn puppies and am very selective in whom I sell to, it is not only possible but likely that if 2Dollys contacted me shortly after a litter was born. I may have puppies for sale, even at the time they were ready to go to a home. The only “warning” one should take from this is the fact that I would take my time, sell my dogs to good homes. Having shown dogs for 25 years, and breeding golden retrievers for 23 years, I have done such a good job finding the right homes for my golden retriever puppies that I have only received 3 back in 23 years years.The first, the 4H daughter went onto college and the parents could no longer care for the dog. The second, the owner was dying of cancer. The third, the owner died.

I wish I could ask our self described non-expert what ominous signs are portended by my having had multiple dogs for sale some eight weeks after birth, but alas they remain unknown. I looked up your e-mails, 2Dollys, and read we were discussing my 2 female puppies available when you inquired, of the 4 puppies I had available on that day, of my litter.

Even more obscure and curious is the “very reputable breeder”, 2Dollys claims to
have talked to who said “they would no longer let her [me] breed with any of their [my] dogs, wouldn't let a pup go to her and wouldn't recommend them as a good breeder to get a pup from.”

Really? And the reason for this is . . . ? Oh I’m sorry, it is not provided, just as the identity of this supposedly slanderous other breeder remains a mystery. Since I generally keep in regular contact with stud dog owners to discuss our kids and their health and wins, the only stud owner I haven't talked to in a few years is in your e-mail:

"2Dollys"
7/23/10
to me
Hi there, I am very interested in your dogs. I saw the 4 puppies you have available on your webpage, oh my, precious! I had found your website a few weeks ago when
researching golden breeders who take great care to breed healthy dogs. We have been talking to Chuckanut Goldens over here in Bellingham WA, but their next litter will not be available until around Thanksgiving and I am a teacher and am on break from now until mid-September, making this the ideal time for a new puppy for us..."

I talked to Chuckanut goldens today in person, and Ken not only denies saying what you wrote that he did, but that he doesn't have an issue with me, breeding to my bitches, and isn't angry at me about anything. I bred to 3 of his stud dogs over the years starting in the early 90's: Am-Can CH Chuckanuts Typesetter, BIS BISS Am/Can CH Chuckanut's In The Mood OS and BISS Am/Can CH Chuckanut's Brasstime TD,JH,NA,NAJ,WC,VCX,OS,SDHF; Can TD,JH,WC,OS

And in response to Ljilly28 -- there are posts about my trained puppies for "$4,500?!?!?!" One of those puppies went on to be a service animal:

Tango, A Service Animal Story – 52 Weeks

Once again, don't look for future posts from me. I am too busy actually finishing my dogs AKC Championships, and training my dogs to a higher title than CGC to have time to sit at a computer internet board and no interest in gossiping about other breeders, or other people who are doing more with their dogs in any venue, than I am. It's sad that I was directed to the original posts, and took time in the first place to read this libel after driving 560 miles one way to a dog show, with only a few hours to my 5 AM wake up call to start getting dogs ready for our 8 am ring time.

Florence

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Wow, that is a dramatic post. I, too, am an AKC breeder of merit ... and still trying to figure out what happened here... As a vet, I tell my clients anyone can be what they want to be on the internet. Just for the record, my dogs have numerous AKC obedience/rally titles. not including CGC's. And I have 2 Can Ch bitches, one Can Ch pointed and one bitch with 10 AKC points... who are you targeting?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.