Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with Denali Kennels in Dallas, TX? I am going to visit Denali next weekend and want to know more about its breeding from this forum.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Hopefully others will chime in.
By their website, I wouldn't automatically rule them out but I would want more details. I just clicked on a few of the dogs K9data links. Not all had a full set of clearances, so verify that all of the 4 basic clearances are in place. Do you know which dogs are producing the litter?
The nuvet thing has always felt like a scam to me. If there is any sort of canceling of guarantee for not using nuvet I would look elsewhere.

I would really not visit any puppies until you are fully satisfied with the breeder. I don't think there are many people that could say no to a puppy when holding it!

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
I agree that I would ask to the pedigree and clearances of both parents before visiting. No sense visiting if clearances aren't in order.

And I agree with the Nuvet thing. Really puts me off but that is just me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
They're a member of the GRCA and DFW Golden Retriever groups so I assume they've got clearances that just may not have been submitted online-but be sure you check. They should be able to show you at a minimum heart, eyes, hips, elbow. They're listed as in good standing and I personally really like several of the breeders on here: DFW Golden Retriever Breeders - Dallas Fort Worth Texas. I would find out who she bred specifically and then check out the parents on k9data as well. I'd agree that if she pushes the NuVet and tells you it will void the warranty if you don't use it then run.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

Can I ask if you ended up buying from Denali and if you had a good experience? I spoke with her this morning and she seems experienced and knowledable...

A few things she said that I wanted to research further...

She said that the sire is European and that European Goldens tend to live longer and have less cancer than American. She also said she doesn't recommend neutering the dog until 2 years of age, if at all. Lastly she doesn't vaccinate her dogs after 5-7 years of age, and prefers as minimally invasive care as possible... IE natural remedies when possible and only vaccinating for essential things. I was planning to go visit a new litter and see them in person. She said she would provide generational hip, elbow, eye and heart certifications.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Can I ask if you ended up buying from Denali and if you had a good experience? I spoke with her this morning and she seems experienced and knowledable...

A few things she said that I wanted to research further...

She said that the sire is European and that European Goldens tend to live longer and have less cancer than American. She also said she doesn't recommend neutering the dog until 2 years of age, if at all. Lastly she doesn't vaccinate her dogs after 5-7 years of age, and prefers as minimally invasive care as possible... IE natural remedies when possible and only vaccinating for essential things. I was planning to go visit a new litter and see them in person. She said she would provide generational hip, elbow, eye and heart certifications.
I'm curious after talking to her on the phone did she tell you the estimated price? I couldn't find one on the website.

·
Puddles
3,324 Posts
Expect to pay at least $2,000. maybe more. It doesn't appear that clearances are being kept up like they used to but if you get the names of the parents there are people here that will help you check. There are quite a few good breeders in this area with quality puppies. If you are focused on color beware of many, many scammers in this area as well. A pup without proper clearances should be priced below $1,000. in the DFW area.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I don't buy the "less cancer than American" claim. That alone would keep me away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was told that all of the clearances were in order, but I wasn't able to verify that online. I decided to go in a different direction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would avoid his breeder. She may have once been reputable, but I don't believe she is a responsible breeder at this point. We had a very bad experience.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Perhaps post sire X dam info, and someone can look the clearances up for you. I find the site difficult to navigate so cannot discern who the $1800 pup may have been coming out of but if you know sire and dam it's a quick check for anyone proficient in dog clearances to check for you and we'd be happy to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would avoid this breeder. She may have once been reputable, but I don't believe she is a responsible breeder at this point. We had a very bad experience.

When you walk into the house the stench and filth from the floor to the ceiling is almost unbearable. When I got home I through all my cloths in the washer took a shower and could still smell the stench in my nostrils.

She has 3 litters at the same time. I saw puppies walk in dog poop. No big deal right? Shortly after witnessing this, she fed the puppies on a flat steel plate and watch them walk all over the puppy food as they ate. Pretty sure this how Parvo is ingested after eating freesias.

When she says and this is a quote from her web page. “Through our contacts in the DFWMGRC, we have been fortunate enough to introduce excellent bloodlines into the
Denali line and feel as though we improve the breed with each generation. We have also formed relationships with
kennels in other states. This has increased our choices in suitable stud.” Don't believe it because...she dose not have full clearances. Hips, elbows, heart, eyes. She is not breeding to increase the health of the breed and bloodlines. Don't believe it.

Legal definition of A Puppy Mill is a large-scale commercial dog breeding operation where profit is given priority over the well-being of the dogs. Unlike responsible breeders, who place the utmost importance on producing the healthiest puppies possible, breeding at puppy mills is performed without consideration of genetic quality. This results in generations of dogs with unchecked hereditary defects. Hips, elbows, heart, eyes.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I dk her personally, but I know I would not consider covering a bitch who has not got all her clearances, adequately, on OFA (so in other words, no coverage if you can't spend the bucks to list heart and eyes). Stud choices are endless, no matter what club you belong to or don't... I don't think that has a thing to do with it. That very availability is why I do not understand people who own their own stud dog and use him on all their bitches. I've never had 3 litters at a time but I have had several times two litters born within a week and I have done it (obviously) on purpose. It's not that much extra work (assuming you do any work at all which if your report is accurate is not the case here) and it sometimes makes it easier on mamas to share the load . I cannot imagine letting puppies eat in an unsanitary way, they stop stepping in their food after maybe first two days. And I stand over them those two days to be sure I don't see little feet about to enter the food dish because if I do, I am going to have to wash the feet. And dry them. And clean the floor where he stepped. And probably wash sibs who he got food on. You get it. It's just easier to put in the work on the front end and watch them grow without having to constantly be bathing feet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would avoid this breeder. She may have once been reputable, but I don't believe she is a responsible breeder at this point. We had a very bad experience.

When you walk into the house the stench and filth from the floor to the ceiling is almost unbearable. When I got home I through all my cloths in the washer took a shower and could still smell the stench in my nostrils.

She has 3 litters at the same time. I saw puppies walk in dog poop. No big deal right? Shortly after witnessing this, she fed the puppies on a flat steel plate and watch them walk all over the puppy food as they ate. Pretty sure this how Parvo is ingested after eating freesias.

When she says and this is a quote from her web page. “Through our contacts in the DFWMGRC, we have been fortunate enough to introduce excellent bloodlines into the
Denali line and feel as though we improve the breed with each generation. We have also formed relationships with
kennels in other states. This has increased our choices in suitable stud.” Don't believe it because...she dose not have full clearances. Hips, elbows, heart, eyes. She is not breeding to increase the health of the breed and bloodlines. Don't believe it.

Legal definition of A Puppy Mill is a large-scale commercial dog breeding operation where profit is given priority over the well-being of the dogs. Unlike responsible breeders, who place the utmost importance on producing the healthiest puppies possible, breeding at puppy mills is performed without consideration of genetic quality. This results in generations of dogs with unchecked hereditary defects. Hips, elbows, heart, eyes.
I had a very similar experience when visiting her home to meet the sire/dam. Living conditions were questionable, crates on top of crates in the living room. The dam was extremely skiddish and slunk down to the floor and crawled towards us to greet. This was also the third litter for this particular dam, yet she was not even 3 years old which also raised a red flag. I also requested all of her OFAC clearances and never received a single follow up. She had plenty of pictures of champion goldens throughout the home so I have no doubt that she was a reputable breeder at one point, but can't see any way to support that claim now.

·
Puddles
3,324 Posts
Never assume anything. Always verify current clearances on OFA.com. There are several DFW golden club members that USED to be very reputable breeders. Many have out of date websites and haven't actually been a member in years. There is one that boast being a member of a group that ceased to exist over a decade ago. Unless you have a current member roster I would take this point with a grain of salt.
Verify or ask here and someone will look up clearances for you, just need sire/dam reg name and/or number.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts