Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Leslie- look at this one on k9data- the clearances are not linking and do not read as OFA even though the breeder input OFA-http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=331738

OP-
I would skip it. Here's why- she has two stud dogs, both named Tebow, neither of whom have adequate clearances. The cardiac on each of them is a practitioner clearance... and in a breed w cardiac problems, that is insufficient.
Neither of them have a full set of clearances. Her girls, Promise has no clearances, Grace has an inadequate cardiac clearance and no eye clearance listed, Morgan (whose name is misspelled on the website) has prelims and nothing else, and D'Arks Tatianna Tia has no heart or eye clearance listed. Paradise's Talitha has no clearances. This breeder is one who touts 'X amount of CH in 5 gen pedigree' which is not a big deal, and I would even say is normal. The key is there are NO CH at her house. She takes a stab at doing some clearances, and isn't thorough in doing all of them so trusting her to do a thorough job on raising puppies would be foolish. Plus there is the religiosity piece- if a breeder has to put religious quotes on their website, it is IMO (because I have NEVER seen a site belonging to a good breeder with them) to make the buyer trust them. Wrongly.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
There's a list of FL breeders- actually two lists- one called Central FL breeders and one called South FL breeders- it's new this year. Just plug those words into the search engine.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Do you know which of the dogs will be the parents of the litter?

Literally NONE of the dogs meet the four core clearances for a reputable breeder as decreed by the Golden Retriever Club of America. In fact, one of her dams has produced a puppy with Dysplasia and neither that dam nor the sibling she kept for breeding have had their hips cleared.

This breeder looks like a perfect storm to a heartbroken buyer.

Breakdown of dogs on the website (I didn't go into the retired dams)

Paradise's Sterk Hart Tebow II -- nothing on OFA. I found another dog with a similar name (no II) on OFA but that dog is 9 years old. Idk it's the same dog as this one. Here's a link to the K9data on the similar dog. I don't think they belong to the same people.
>>>>>I was able to find this pedigree based on one of his offspring. Pedigree: Sir Heisman Tebow Clark

They claim "Paradise Golden's Scotty" has DNA and OFA hips/elbows but there is no record on OFA for that dog.

Paradise's Promise also has no OFA but does have a K9data page: Pedigree: Paradise's Promise

Paradise's Amazing Grace ll - no OFA

Majavin's S'ccess Solaris - no OFA

D'Arks Tatianna Tia - has hips and elbows only. Missing heart by a cardiologist and eyes annually. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1512833.
^^^^ one of her puppies has HIP DYSPLASIA! https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?appnum=1504064

Paradise's Talitha << she's the offspring of the above dam and given the hips of a sibling, I would consider her a NO GO! Her name is spelt Talitha on their site but on K9data and OFA it's spelt Talithia. Not sure if just a typo or a specific action meant to make the dogs harder to find.
No hips or elbows. Only a heart clearance (which is deficient since it's done by a practitioner not a cardiologist) and out of date eyes.
https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?appnum=1516681

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
IMHO, I would run. I would not take a free puppy from this kind of breeder.

First and foremost, health certifications are not what they should be. This breeder is claiming GRCA membership. That means every year they re-affirm their commitment to the breed and upholding the Code of Ethics for breeders that states hips and elbows tested at or after 24months, heart by a cardiologist at or after 12 months and eyes by an ophthalmologist be completed yearly and this all be submitted to an online database such as OFA. None of their dogs meet this standard of breeding. Some have no health certifications at all, all I have check are either missing a heart certification or it is deficient because it was completed by a normal pet vet and not a cardiologist. None I reveiwed had eye certifications at all.

Second, they do nothing with their dogs but leverage reproductive organs to make puppies. They can not bother to get their dogs out to compete and prove their dogs quality and worthiness to be included in a breeding program. Instead they make claims like “over 30 Champions in pedigree”. However when you look the champions tend to be in the great-grandparent generation or further back. Quality can and is lost in a single generation of careless breeding. So, trying to ride the coat tails of breeders who did care to prove the quality of their dogs and imply that these dogs are of that same high quality is disturbing to me.

Finally, there is price $1800 is an incredibly overpriced cost for these health risky and unproved in competition dogs. Perhaps if the health certifications were in place as they should be. But, with every thing that is missing, 800-1000 would be a more fair price for those willing to shoulder the righer health risks.

I will attach some images that might help you understand the health situation a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
This is a direct quote from their website:

Puppy Payments
Puppy prices range from $1600 to $1800 and deposits are $495 (applied to the total price.) All deposits are refundable until the puppy is 6 weeks old. Deposits for puppy reservations, as well as balances, can be paid with credit cards using Paypal or by personal check by mail.

Email for a PayPal Payment Request and your reservation can be confirmed the same day.

Health Clearances
Sterk Hart Tebow, our stud dog, has completed all of his health certifications - eyes, heart, hips and elbows. We are very pleased with his OFA "Good" hip rating. All females over two years of age in our breeding program have their OFA hip and elbow clearances or they are pending. With this parental certification, your puppy is destined to lead a happy and healthy life for many years to come! We have never had a puppy returned due to a health problem and credit this to our excellent breeding stock.

Purchasing a Puppy
Puppy purchases include the following:

AKC Registration Papers (pet only)
Litter Certificate
Health Guarantee/Contract
State Health Certificate
Parental Pedigrees
OFA Parental Clearances
Weekly updates with photos on puppy's development
Puppy's first set of shots, vet exam
Deworming
and a warm bath before puppy comes home!
To recap - you're paying $1800 (which if I remember correctly is around the same price as reputable breeders in that area, it *might* be a little lower than them, BUT they give you NONE of what a reputable breeder does. They brag that none of their puppies have been returned due to a health problem but there are hundreds of threads about the deceptive and heartbreaking language in most BYB contracts because they KNOW an owner isn't going to comply. I'm betting their contract specifys that should a genetic condition be discovered (like dysplasia) that in order to receive a refund, the dog must also be returned. Imagine having a dog for months to years and after finding out they have a painful disease that could have been prevented by not breeding dysplastic dogs that in order to get a refund from the breeder you have to say goodbye to the dog that you've lovingly trained and raised and has become a part of your family? NO ONE IS GOING TO DO THAT.

My breeder says if a genetic condition is found, medical costs (up to the purchase price) will be covered... the dog doesn't have to be returned.

So... no clearances. Even though they SAY they have clearances. Shady contract (most likely). And an exorbitant fee. I wouldn't even pay $500 for one of these puppies.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
IMHO, I would run. I would not take a free puppy from this kind of breeder.

First and foremost, health certifications are not what they should be. This breeder is claiming GRCA membership. That means every year they re-affirm their commitment to the breed and upholding the Code of Ethics for breeders that states hips and elbows tested at or after 24months, heart by a cardiologist at or after 12 months and eyes by an ophthalmologist be completed yearly and this all be submitted to an online database such as OFA. None of their dogs meet this standard of breeding. ]

So, I didn't catch that- but I just looked at my most recent roster- no Melissa Coleman is a GRCA member. I'll report the claim to the internet watchdogs. Just another deception.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Alexandra, I would not recommend getting a puppy from this breeder, and I speak from personal experience. While I didn’t expect this to be my first post on the forum, I was looking up recommended books for bringing home a puppy just now and saw “Paradise Golden Retriever’s” as the heading and had to click on this post.

I just lost my sweet, sweet boy a few months ago whom I got from Paradise Golden Retrievers. While I did get to enjoy his beautiful soul for 10 years, I consider myself and my family extremely lucky considering what I know now. When I began looking up breeders to find our next family member, it brought me here to the GRF forums. These forums were where I learned what qualities a proper breeding program has, all of which Paradise lacks.

I have the “AKC Certified Pedigree” certificate I received from Paradise when I got my boy and here is what I learned about his background: His dad had hip displaysia. His mom was bread prior to being 2 years old and she doesn’t have a single clearance listed in OFA. Also, according to pictures on their website she may have had a litter prior to his so she was even younger! You can imagine how upset I was just in this research on his 1st generation “Champion Pedigree” as they refer to it! In fact, the only “Champion” I can even locate in their pedigree is from Gold-Rush lines 3 generations back in the late 80’s/early 90’s. And then....his mom’s side goes back to a breeder by the name of “Feldman” who in my research looks to be a puppy mill up north. I was absolutely devastated, angry and upset when I learned this but I never would have learned how to research clearances and select a proper breeder if it weren’t for this forum so my hope is in by posting this I can encourage others to do the proper research on Paradise Golden Retrievers as well. There are SO MANY good, ethical breeders in Florida and the Tampa area that are actually trying to improve their lines and not just “claim” to be. There is a list of these breeders in the Central Florida area on this forum too, go with any of them over Paradise Golden Retrievers. Robin from Prism is an EXCELLENT resource. I began my conversations with her a few months ago - she let me know which reputable breeders had litters coming up and I know she would offer to do the same for you.

I hope this helps in your search and I wish you all the best in your search for your new family member.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alexandra09, any luck on a breeder?

I'm in the Orlando area and am looking for a reputable breeder too. I have a message in to one from this site, I hope to hear back with good news.

·
lennon
8 Posts
My son put a deposit down in march with paradise golden in tampa as they were due April now July she does not communicate and she had none available per her website until fall but as of today she is saying July .after reading the posts here from July 1st I have asked him to cancel and hope he gets his deposit of 495,00 back asap will be watching to see how you make out but my guts says no unfortunately he has to do this

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I am a new member and would like to say that we were fortunate to find an excellent breeder in the Florida area. We are picking up our 2nd puppy from her in a few weeks. AKC website, she is located in Madison, Florida. You will be happy you found her!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The only breeder that matches that description on AKC Marketplace is not one I would recommend to anyone who wants the best chance at health.

This breeder does not health testing in the parents and does nothing with their dogs but make puppies. They are also way overpriced for the lack of quality on these health risky puppies.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Hello! I am a new member and would like to say that we were fortunate to find an excellent breeder in the Florida area. We are picking up our 2nd puppy from her in a few weeks. AKC website, she is located in Madison, Florida. You will be happy you found her!
There are two within 50 miles of Madison- Sheila is no longer breeding and Susan has dogs who are not health cleared for anything, nor are actually ANY of the Mason's dogs (the dam of the litter's kennel name) holders of the core four clearances... I know you love your Acey boy, and he is cute as can be, but investing in another health risk is not a good idea from not only your perspective but also the perspective of the breeder- this 'less than' breeder is only being encouraged to continue when people give her their money for a less than product, since $1200 (per AKC) is about twice as much as they should be priced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess I made a mistake joining and just providing input. This seemed like a very nice website. Not one person welcomed to the site and the responses are nothing less than scathing - let me be the first to say "excuse me for participating" Good grief.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts