Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am currently clicker training my youngest golden ( Promise) I was wondering if anyone else clicker trains. I haven't been on the ball the last few months with training, Some family matters have come up. but things have calmed down, and I'm begining to train again. any do's or don'ts i should know about. anything you would have done diferently? any tips would be great,
thanks!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
There are lots of us here that use a clicker....
Are you working with a trainer? Or learning from books/video (if so which ones)?
What are your goals? Are you looking to compete in Obedience/Agility/Freestyle/Advanced tricks?

My biggest advice is to keep written notes of what you are working on...

·
Premium Member
16,434 Posts
I love the clicker, especially for my middle dog Tally. He understands when he hears it, to go into super-learning mode and will look for what to repeat in his behavoirs in order to get to the click/treat. I don't use it anymore in obedience,fieldwork or rally but i did when he was a baby. I still have a blast teaching him all kinds of tricks with it, and I think it gave him a fantastic attitude toward learning/working. Finn, who first heard a clicker at age five, starts running through his repertoire of commands/tricks as fast as he can,lol. It doesnt work as well in his case, bc he wants to be right as fast as possible.

Do: Have great timing with the click! If you click late, you dont communicate to the dog what he did right.
Always deliver a treat for the click- no broken promises.
Also use a word like "Yes" along with the click so if you lose your clicker, you can still reenforce
Read Pryor and a few books about clicker training theory= it's interesting.

Don't: Use the clicker on humans. Though it is VERY tempting. They get huffy. Use the concepts though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a nine week old golden and we are signed up with a trainer to start clicker training in a few days.....I have heard GREAT things about it

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I use the clicker when reinforcing obedience (Tysen already new how to do most things before I get into clicker training) and to teach new tricks. You need to know exactly what your goal is before you ever start clicker training-don't make it up on the way. Your strategy will depend on if your trying to capture a behavior or teach them a behavior using increments.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wanted to clicker Roo, and he was really good with it, but I have this incredibly annoying thing where I fiddle with whatever is in my hand and I'd click it randomly and confuse him!! I wasn't too sure what I was doing but he understood when we tried it.

Tip: don't click it because you like the noise like me!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I haven't clicker trained a dog, Casey is almost 11 and very well behaved. I have clicker trained my cat to do a few fun tricks. It has been really fun! Try reading Karen Pryor books. She has some great info out there and a nice website complete with video clips.

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
I always use the clicker. I read some Pryor and then the rest came natural. Timing is essential! ONLY CLICK ONCE. If you Really like something use more praise/treats never more clicks. I find I can use the clicker to shape/teach behaviors then you can get away from the clicker for the rest of your life by using praise/treats. For instance When I say sit during training I DO NOT click. Initially I did but after they perfect a behavior I move away from the click and let them learn the sound and/or hand signal. Just the way I do it. Might not be textbook but it works for me!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I've always clicker trained my llamas & have used it some with Layla (mostly on retrieves). I've found the llamas respond faster to it though...I can hold up any halter & we have battles over who can stick their face in it first!

one thing I have found very handy are the clickers with the bungee strap attached, that way you can let go & it's still hooked to your wrist.

the downside of clicker only training, is remembering to keep one with you when they are young. I have seen leads with clicker handles (www.clickerleash.com) that seem to be handy, especially for puppies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts