Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is such a soppy, lovable rogue and we do want to get her a sister sometime soon but I do wonder if her temperment or attitude to life will change when she has a doggy sister to play with instead of us

what are your experiences with your dogs
do they change and if so how

if you knew they were going to change would you have put off or not had a second puppy

thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Jasmine was one of two dogs we had when we started fostering. The other dog we had didn't play with her and actually would attack her. The foster dogs brought out her happy nature. She and Jasper, who was a foster puppy, obviously loved each other which is one of the reasons I adopted him. When Danny came along, it took a while for my dogs to "bond" with him, but once they did, they adored him. So we adopted him.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I don't think so. When I brought Dillon home, there was a short period of super excitement and Sam could have cared less if I was around.. he was so happy to have a doggie friend to play with all the time. But that only lasted a couple weeks.. now he's back to his usual velcro-dog self and still a total mama's boy. He still adores Dillon and absolutely loves playing with him all the time. Nothing else changed as far as his personality though. If anything, it made him an easier dog to live with because running around with Dillon does a far better job tiring him out than I ever could!!

·
16,000 Posts
It won't change temperament, as temperament is inherent. It may change disposition, which can fluctuate day to day, hour to hour.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Baileys nose was out of joint for a couple of days when Jasmine arrived (but we were expecting this and i made sure he got plenty of attention).The two of them are now inseparable - and they keep each other company while we are at work.I was never really comfortable with Bailey being on his own during the day,and had always intended getting a second dog.

They're brother and sister though - whether that makes any difference :confused:

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won't change temperament, as temperament is inherent. It may change disposition, which can fluctuate day to day, hour to hour.
I thought temperament was the wrong word but you knew what I meant
thanks for finding the right word ;)

thanks for your replies they are great and just what I wanted to here :)

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
I have only ever had one dog that sulked when we brought another dog home it took a little while but soon best of friends all the others no problem at all.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Most of the time, from what I've seen with clients at the pet hotel, adding a second dog tends to improve the disposition of the first one. If the dog is fearful, it tends to give them more confidence. If they are shy, they seem to become more social. If they are very high energy, they're calmer from playing with the other dog.
Just as a generalization, of course.

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
Angie fell in love with Chance immediately and they seem to have brought out the best in each other. He's more playful than when we first got him and she seems to be a little more aware that she ought to try and behave once in a while... ;-)

One thing that was great for Angie was that prior to getting him she was the only dog and while she's got a great personality and adores people once we got him we could tell that she loved the fact that she can now exercise her "dog" side more. Put another way no matter how much loving, attention, playing and exercise she got it still wasn't the same as be able to go into 100% dog mode with another dog. Which makes sense once you think about it.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I can tell you my Shelby wanted nothing to do with Bama when I brought him home but now they are the best of buddies. Doing fostering there is some adjustment period when a new dog comes in but after a couple of days they are back normal.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've only ever heard positive stories of adding a puppy, but from my own personal experience, it didn't change my dog's temperament, but it did change his attitude.
I wonder if it depends on the age and beginning temperament of your dog? I think mine had only dog syndrome, as he was 4 or 5 and used to being the top banana before we brought the puppy in?

My dog is a very well trained, well behaved, and attentive little saint. When he was about 4 or 5 a friend gave us a very hyper and untrained 6 month old Irish setter puppy. I didn't have any help (lazy ex syndrome).

My dog (Boomer) who was normally good and attentive would sit and watch me struggle w/ this puppy. I would give Boomer a command like sit or stay while I tried to manage the puppy and he would look at me as if to say: "What are YOU going to do about it?" and do what he wanted. He stopped being so obedient and I had a handful trying to manage the 2 of them at once.

I sent the puppy back where he came from, I couldn't keep him safe. He kept running out the door any time we opened it, and wouldn't come when called.

I think that was one of the best days of Boomer's life.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Ginny was 2 when we introduced Holly, and to be honest we did not expect her to react in the way she did as she always got along with anything on 4 legs. For about the first month she would not even stay in the same room as Holly, but then with the help of an old pink jumper something clicked with her and they became firm friends for 13 years. I think Maggie got it right saying that one of her dogs sulked - that was similar with Ginny, even though we made sure they were both treated the same it was if she resented having to share us with Holly.

One of the problems which we tried (in vain) to stop was other people - family and friends the worst - who suddenly started paying more attention to Holly, despite us saying for them to greet Ginny first - and that is why if I meet people with a pup and an older dog I always greet the older dog first.

When I took Ralph home from the kennels for a couple of nights (he stayed for 7 years) neither Ginny or Holly batted an eyelid, they welcomed him into our home, shared their beds and toys with him and there was never any sign of resentment from any of them.

·
Registered
850 Posts
When we adopted 1.5 year old Roxy 4 months ago, our 4-year old Elliot accepted her fine. He had been the only dog for 2 months after our sweet, gentle Dolly died at age 10. However, Roxy took the role of dominant female and stole toys from Elliot. He just turns away submissively and does not defend himself. I have been taking Roxy to obedience class and she is responding well to my "leave it" command when he plays with his toys. They play together pretty rough but that seems to be normal for goldens and they never hurt each other. They love our walks together and pile on top of each other during nap time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My first dog was our chihuahua. She was very "attached" to our laps, and would refuse food unless hand fed. She also refused to wear a collar and wouldnt go on walks.
When we got cooper. ALL of that changed. She now sleeps in her cage (which before she wouldnt even go in there, even if we put a rib bone in it.... She eats out of a dog bowl! and now loves walks!
She is a completely different dog now. but in a very good way.

We plan to get another golden when Cooper is about 2 yrs old. We want to get it from the same father /cross fingers!

677 Posts
I brought my last dog, Bracken home when my Maxie was 11. Maxie bit Bracken on the nose the first night there...I'm too old to play these silly games!! and they were fast friends after that. Maxie lost her sight and hearing and Bracken became her "seeing eye dog". They were inseperable. Bracken went into a huge funk when Maxie left us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts