Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to people who walk their golden and push a pram/stroller at the same time:

My golden is a 1y10m male that CAN walk beside me, but has to be under command to do so. Water, ducks and females make him mad and he loses control. I'm expecting a baby in June and have some time left to train him to walk on one side only. I ordered a different harness and plan to try that at first. It's quite clear, that I can't keep him under command for the whole 2 hours or smth like that. Therefore I need some other methods as well.

Now, I've chosen a pushchair/stroller that can manage the snow and mud that we have here (4 large wheels, a bit heavier and basically a tank). I have an option to order it with a handbrake. Does anyone have any experience using the handbrake while walking a large dog? Does it come in handy or is it pointless?

·
Premium Member
18,259 Posts
I've never used a handbrake on a stroller, but I am guessing the brake would do nothing to control the dog. It might be a good safety feature to set the brake if you needed to take your hands off the stroller to deal with the dog.

·
Future Golden Dad
62 Posts
I kind of wonder if it might make things worse. If the wheels are locked and the dog is strong enough, he could easily flip the stroller on it's side or front.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
I'm very experienced in stroller dog walks lol The hand brake really doesn't matter. We have a BOB stroller with a hand brake that I use with my 16 month old and walk 2 dogs at a time. If a dog is pulling, I can't even use the brake because my wrist gets pulled away from the handle bar. A good heel command is much more important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts