Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

do your dogs wear collars?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious to see how many of your dogs wear collars 24/7.

ours only wear them if we are taking them out (ie: a baseball game, dog show, training class, shopping, etc.)

our reasoning is: I hate the collar ring around the neck, can't stand the tag jingle, choking/strangling hazard.

odd though, I have over 25 basically new collar/leash sets...:bowl:

however, we have a very secure fenced yard, they are never left outside when we aren't home, they are both proofed 100% on recall for our creek walks & romps at the farm, & both are microchipped & tattooed.

what do you do & why?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie doesn't wear one in the house. He does wear one whenever he goes outside, whether it's in public or just the back yard.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
My dogs wear collars except when in the agility ring. They do not wear their town tags though - I find that annoying :) Their tags are in my purse along with proof of rabies.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use to take Hayden's off while shes in the house but kept forgetting to put it back on when she goes outside (our fence is falling apart... have to wait till its warm to put up a new one) so until I can remember better she wears hers. I rather have that annoyance than lose my pup.

The cat now has a collar and tag after he got out and we couldnt find him for hours. Hes not allowed outside but the husband has some careless friends.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Always have them on...I don't like the collar ring either but feel they needs them on, they have boomerang tags so no jingle. Chester is mirochipped, and Murphy will be later.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Always have the collar on with an i.d. tag and the rabies tag. Petsmart has those little rubber edges for the tags so they don't jingle too much.

I agree, don't like what the collar does to the neck hair but I still leave the collar on.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Eli and Bailey wear theirs only on walks. I forgot to take them off once and I had only turned my back for a second---Eli had Bailey by the collar and was twisting. Poor Bailey!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Misty always wears her collar. I dont mind the jungle of the tags. She is chipped also, just in case.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Mine only wear collars if we go on walks or go somewhere. In the house or backyard collars are always off.

·
Registered
306 Posts
layla and my min pin normally wear collars all the time because we live in an apartment and when they need to potty, we have to manually take them for a walk.

i will occasionally take them off, especially when sleeping, because the "groove" in their fur makes me sad. :(

i just ordered boomerrang tags for them both so bye-bye jingles!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Marty only wears a collar outside. Our first golden was rolling around on the carpet and got a ring caught in the fibers. I don't know what would have happened to Sam or the (new) carpet if we hadn't been here to get the collar off. Of course we let Marty out to pee and forget to put a collar on, which I know isn't good. We're in a remote area and all neighbors know we have a golden and he's microchipped.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Mine have always worn collars 24/7. I did buy Hank a boomerang tag, not because of the jingle but I was worried that the tags might get caught between the deck slats or floor registers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts