• No way!

Votes: 48 49.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dare I even ask this, but I'm curious as to how many people use corrective collars.
I'm not just thinking of the average golden who is a great family member and out for a walk (although I can see if the golden pulls a lot, the owner might consider those collars an option)
I'm more specifically thinking about more focused work, s.a. training, service work, etc.
Do you use a corrective collar? If so, what kind?

·
Kate
21,230 Posts
Competition obedience training? Yes. But not to correct pulling. More along the lines of being a "working collar" and one that allows more precise corrections.

My dog wears a choke chain for obedience, a lighter choke chain for conformation, and I've used prongs on occasion (it isn't a permanent need).

I don't particularly recommend people putting any of these collars on their dogs unless they are taught how to use them and there is a lot of emphasis on light hands and positive corrections, timing, and rewards.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Working with our trainers we start out using a 'pinch' collar then as the dog progresses into field training and collar conditioning, we use an e collar for training a dog for field events.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Hospice therapy dogs, flat buckle collars their whole lives. We teach them how to behave politely on leash and how to move into different positions (i.e., scooching up by a bedside) without collar corrections.

·
the party's crashing us
4,236 Posts
Obedience I use a pinch collar exclusively for heeling. Buckle collar in the ring. When we practice heeling it's always on lead with a pinch collar.
For the show ring a slip lead (no big deal -- it just looks good)
Field I use a pinch collar if needed and eventually an e-collar.
Just out for walks, it depends on the dog. For walks around the neighborhood I just use a regular buckle collar, walks in a congested area it depends on the dog. Slater is NOT a puller and is always walked on a buckle collar (this is pure luck). Fisher and Bally are pullers so I use either a pinch collar or a Sensation harness. I also like the 2" wide fleece-lined sighthound collars. They are pretty :)

Reactions: grlove

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Martingale no chain. I had a bad experience with a dog pulling her head out of a regular collar when she got spooked. I've been paranoid since then. I'll use a flat bukle collar for Lily's therapy work only.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Martingale no chain. I had a bad experience with a dog pulling her head out of a regular collar when she got spooked. I've been paranoid since then. I'll use a flat bukle collar for Lily's therapy work only.
FYI - Properly sized martingales (i.e., that become snug when taut but do not choke at all) are allowed by Pet Partners and TDI, so far as I know. Maybe you want a flat collar for Lily anyway, but I don't think martingales are disallowed by either therapy organization.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
I use a pinch collar when in a situation where I want more control. Zelda doesn't really need any corrections in general, but just having the collar on puts her in a working mode and she's more focused/better behaved. She's slowly progressing to not needing it anymore in certain situations, like walks down a fairly calm street.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm with TDI and was told no martingales of any kind. I'm OK with it inside, but it won't be my regular collar. We start next month. I'm trying to line up visits st my parents assisted living facility as a starting point.

Reactions: Juli

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
I work hard on heeling from a young age, and walk lots off leash,so it is either heel or off leash- no time practicing any pulling. I just took my dog Tally to the Old Port today, and he walks so nicely on the cobblestone streets packed with people. He has never had any kind of collar correction, but he has also never experienced pulling someone down the street. I love training without pinch/ prong/ choke collars, and do not miss them from my past Monks Of New Skete days long ago. The exception is for the conformation ring the collar is more like a coat and tie for my boyfriend at Christmas dinner - it looks dressed up.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I used to use prongs and then switched to martingales. When my lab was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis I switched both dogs to harnesses and actively worked to train both of them to not pull. So much nicer to walk down the street!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,536 Posts
When training puppies I always use a prong collar. When they get a little more advanced we switch to electronic collars. If they aren't actively training they don't wear collars of any kind. In the case of a easy walk around the block they have neither collar nor leash once they're trained.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the fabric martingale collars mostly for convenience and I like the way they look. Set to a good size for my boys they snug up enough to be secure when walking and I can easily slip them off when I want to. I honestly did not see much benefit for pulling training I think gentle leash corrections and communication accomplished more. BTW as tippykayak stated TDI is ok with them, both my boys tested while wearing theirs.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had to take my pup to a trainer because of aggression. Since then we have used a prong collar and an E collar. He has made a complete turn for the better. He can go from calm to way to rowdy in seconds. The prong collar is used to get control if he doesn't listen to commands. The E collar is for training purposes. He does great on walks and doesn't pull. Dogs can come the other way and he stays calm. He's well behaved and doesn't show aggression in the house anymore. And doesn't get into things like he used to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not really a good poll. You can only choose one. I use prong/ pinch and e-collar. I also have dogs that almost never wear collars/leashes.

After having trained bomb dogs for the military, I have seen dogs with permanent neck and throat damage from collars especially choke chains. Also, e-collars in the hands of a novice are scary. They are not like TV remotes.

John

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not really a good poll. You can only choose one. I use prong/ pinch and e-collar. I also have dogs that almost never wear collars/leashes.

After having trained bomb dogs for the military, I have seen dogs with permanent neck and throat damage from collars especially choke chains. Also, e-collars in the hands of a novice are scary. They are not like TV remotes.

John
My trainer told me that choke chains are the ones that can do the most damage. So we agreed to use a prong collar. He trained us on the e-collar also. I didn't like the idea of shocking my pup. But it gets his attention quick and stops bad behavior. I keep it on the lowest two settings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't see how you can use these collars when Goldens are already so quick to learn. I guess it depends on the owners patients.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts