Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was just curious if my dog cali looks purebred or not! She’s 7 months old and 35 pounds which I’ve heard is on the smaller side for her age but not really sure. We love her so much and it’s doesn’t really matter if she is mixed but I was just curious is anyone else thinks she looks like she might be.

thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I'm not a pro but my guess is yes. Those with a more expert eye will probably chime in. She's very cute and looks like a sweetheart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought maybe because a friend got hers from same breeder and she did a dna test and she’s a mix she’s also just a lot smaller then our previous goldens

·
Kate
20,872 Posts
I thought maybe because a friend got hers from same breeder and she did a dna test and she’s a mix she’s also just a lot smaller then our previous goldens
That does seem to indicate your dog might not be purebred - though she appears to be.

Have seen or heard of litters where though the breedings were accidental and dad was something else, some of the puppies looked close enough to be adopted out as purebreds. Generally lab mixes, but have heard of at least one golden litter (dad was a sheepdog/herding breed with "up ears").

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!! :) we think she looks purebred too but everyone that sees her is like oh she’s a mix but I think she’s as golden as it gets lol so I was curious what other golden owners thought!

·
Registered
701 Posts
She looks like a golden in the pics you posted. 35lb at 7 months is def on the small side but possible. Did your friend tell you what the DNA test results came back as?

It is possible that puppies from the same litter may have different fathers so if there was an oops breeding within a few days of the intentional breeding, your girl could still be a purebred even if her sibling is not. If you decide to do a DNA test let us know what it comes back as please! It'd be interesting to see what she was mixed with (if she is a mix) because she looks pretty golden.

·
3 goldens
11,740 Posts
She looks all golden..and a beautiful one at that..to me.Dogs. like humns can come in all sizes. All 5 of us kids have the same parents. I am 5'7", mu sister, 5'5". One brother is 6'2", one is 6" even and the youngest is baely 5'10". Mama was 5'4" and Daddy was 6' even. I know when it comes to what is calssified as the "perect size":for each breed, each breed does fall in different sizes. Our Great Pyrenees was a show dog and she is barely in the upper range for weight at 90 pounds. Some females are not fat at 130 pounds. So, the really most important things is that you love her and seh lvoes and you are giving her a wondrful, happy home.

·
Super Moderator
411 Posts
she looks 100% golden to me! Maybe she is petite? my Girl is around 52lbs-55lbs ideally ( when she's above that she can look abit chubby). Cali should continue to fill out and gain a little more weight as she is older as she is only 7 months.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,518 Posts
100 % Golden Retriever.

As far as I know there are no reliable DNA tests for Breed of dog.

She looks to be normal size for her age. She's a puppy, not an adult. She has another 12 to 18 months to go before she reaches maturity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
She looks like a golden. I have had 4 golden retrievers, the largest 90 lbs. & the smallest being 59 lbs.. Depending on parents, goldens can range in height and weight. I have family members with goldens, as well; they are all shapes, sizes & colors. Enjoy her. She is adorable!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts