Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Are GSDs a breed of concern?

• No! They're wonderful, sweet babies. So loyal and awesome!

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • The vast majority are just fine! A few bad apples, just like Goldens or any breed.

Votes: 99 69.2%
  • I would only trust or own one of stable working lines- not show lines or American lines

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I'd only trust one of any lines that has proven himself to be reliable

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • I don't trust this breed, and I would not have one ever

Votes: 10 7.0%

Do you think GSDs are mean/untrustworthy?

12K views 159 replies 65 participants last post by  HoldensMom 
#1 ·
Curious what the Golden owning and (mostly) non-GSD owning dog forum population thinks about Shepherds. They are often lumped with pit bulls as aggressive dogs, bad with kids, etc. Would love to hear thoughts, experiences, and whether you think GSDs are untrustworthy pets.

Poll included

#2 ·
I think they are wonderful, sweet babies, and I love them! Loyalty second to none! Very one person, devoted, intelligent dog. However, I have seen many nervous, insane American show lines ones, so it would only be on a case by case basis that I would consider one of those lines. I would always select working lines and German lines, and preferably long haired (just because they seem even more cushy! Maybe because they are soft and cuddly ;) )

#5 ·
I love GSD's , have had two in my life (as a child) and would love to have one again but don't think I still have the energy. I think they require more exercise than goldens.

There is an excellent breeder in western Nebraska who has excellent German lines and what I think so far is a great breeding program. I haven't looked into them thoroughly as I don't know if it will ever happen. I just dream. But their dogs are gorgeous wonderful family dogs, with wonderful stories from their "families". : )

#8 ·
I had GSD's. I've never heard them lumped in with Pit Bulls. I'm surprised that you would make a blanket statement about "insane, American show lines." Frankly, the Germans don't export their best dogs to the US, which is true of most foreign breeders of nearly any breed.
I love the breed, but am not naive to their idiosyncracies and would not recommend them for everyone.

#9 ·
We have had our GSD since she was 8 weeks old (she's almost 11) and she has never shown one ounce of aggression towards anyone. She has had a lot of training from a young age, so that has a lot to do with it, but they are a very loyal and loving breed when raised properly. They're not the dog for everyone and I would never recommend the breed to an inexperienced or frist-time dog owner because they are a huge handful and require an enormous amount of training. I always feel very safe with Kodi around!

This is our Kodiak:

#10 ·
Well of course you wouldn't like anything I had to say about any topic. I have seen MANY nerve-bag Am-lines dogs, and some nerve-bag West German Show Lines dogs too. I am allowed to share MY observations, am I not?

They are often lumped with pit bulls in breed ban proposals, banned breeds for rental housing, etc.

#12 ·
I think that part of the "problem" with GSDs is that they are so family loyal. If they are not raised by someone who believes in super socializing them, then there can be some problems.

My mom's dog is a GSD mix (high mix) that I pulled from a shelter when he was a pup. He is extremely intelligent and overall well trained. But he has only had real socialization with my dogs and up until he was 6 month old he went to daycare. So he can get really snarky with other dogs. He has also snapped at my nephew (who was allowed to climb on him). I am not the least bit afraid of him (though he is 110 lbs giant) and if something were to happen to my parents, he would come live with us. He likes people, but he is also quite standoffish. He sleeps in the livingroom when he stays with us, while all of my dogs sleep in our bedroom. I realize that he is not the good will ambassador of the breed, but I have also been exposed to many GSDs througout my life and most of them have had a lot of very similar traits to Obi.

I guess I would say that I don't think a GSD is a good dog for a novice owner. I am positive that there are exceptions to the rule, just like not all goldens make a good first dog regardless of what people say.

#26 ·
I think that part of the "problem" with GSDs is that they are so family loyal. If they are not raised by someone who believes in super socializing them, then there can be some problems.
I guess this is where I'm wary of them. My dog growing up was half lab/ half chow, and she was very single family loyal. I honestly don't think she could have lived with another family. I was just a kid, and my parents were raised with different ideas regarding dogs, which is obvious every time my Mom visits and asks that Lucy and Dory be put outside now. Anyway, Jetta wasn't socialized, and it was obvious. She loved us ferociously, but was just ferocious regarding other people. She would have been very trainable had somebody bothered with it, though.

I'm sure that a properly trained GSD from good blood lines would probably make a great pet. However, I have vivid memories of my uncle's old GSD, Bruce, who rightfully scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. That kind of childhood trauma can stick with a person a bit.

#14 ·
sadly, i don't trust them. it's probably just the dogs i meet around here, but all of them are sketchy and nervous and just plain "off"

#15 ·
My ex (who was a police officer) and I got a GSD from a breeder who bred and trained her pups for rescue, search, and attack dogs. She became very ill and had to get rid of the litter before she could train so we picked on up. We use to train with his officer buddy's attack dog and our fire department's search dog. She was a VERY smart dog and thankfully was VERY loyal to both of us.

My ex was slightly a moron who thought since I didn't have the bite sleeve on the dog wouldn't attack me when he gave her the que.... She ran right to me in full attack mode and grabed my arm but it looked like she realised who I was RIGHT before chomping down. She had a soft hold on my arm and let go and just started to wag her tail and look at me. I could have KILLED my **** ex that day but was VERY VERY glad the DOG was smarter than my ex.

ONE issue with the GSD was when she was a pup and in her teething stage she didn't understand how **** strong and sharp her bite was. She was trying to play with me and sunk her teeth right into my shoulder. That sucked. I know she didn't mean it in a mean way but from then on I had to limit rough play BIG TIME.

At least the golden has a very soft mouth. I always tell her no when she gets mouthy but i'm still glad it's a soft touch.

#16 ·
I really did not know how to answer your poll. I voted:
I'd only trust one of any lines that has proven himself to be reliable

I have owned two GSD's.

One had bad fear agression, we worked it out with a behaviorists, but he did bite before that. He was excellent with his family and those who were not afraid of him. He was afraid of his own shadow. Not sure if we did not socialize him enough as a puppy or if it was just the way he was.

The other I rescued at 1 year, she had a lot of insecurities we had to deal with. She ended up being an excellent dog. Did not have to train her, she just knew English, she just always knew what I wanted from her.

Both dogs, even though they had issues, were very loyal, perpetual toddlers, and I know they would have risked their lives to protect us. I always felt safe, but I had to be very careful when I had guests.

If I were to get a GSD again, I would very much research the lines he came from, and make sure the lines were very stable. Plus I now know so much more about raising puppies.

#17 ·
I voted for only one who had proved himself reliable. As with any breed, I view them on a case by case basis. Maybe it's because I had a dog phobia as a child, but I try not to make assumptions about any dog. I've met some GSD's who are as sweet as honey and a couple who were just plain scary.

#19 ·
I wouldn't lump them with pitbulls. For one Pits should never show aggression towards humans - even when provoked. Like any bushel of apples you have good ones and bad ones - but the bulk of my experience with GSDs as a breed is that you just never know what they're likely to do. If a rott or a pit intends to take a piece out of you - you know it - you can see it coming 500' away. GSDs don't seem to have that warning and seem to go from zero to aggressive without warning or any signs that they're going into a bad place. I've also seen more than my fair share of fear based reactivity in GSDs - more so than in any other breeds - even from lines and breeders that are supposed to be (and should be) stable and even in the hands of very experienced dog (and shepherd) owners. I think there's a trend right now that is putting way more "german lines" high drive dogs in homes that shouldn't have a dog - let alone a GSD.

Should they be banned? No. Should people do more research before buying a GSD? Yes - absolutely - any breed. Are there bad breeders out there really screwing up the breed? Yeah - and just as many golden breeders screwing up the breed too. Would I ever own a GSD or a GSD mix? Never. Would I cross the street to avoid one if I saw one walking with their owner on a sidewalk? Probably yes and especially if I had my dogs with me. And I've pulled my so-far qualifying dog from stays next to a GSD too.

#20 ·
I think everyone knows how I feel about them. :D They're incredible dogs and I can't imagine not having at least one in my life.

There are a few bad apples, though. That's how I voted.
I completely agree with Fostermom, that part of the "problem" is that they are so incredibly loyal. And fiercely protective. I think that makes them probably not the best choice for everyone.

And I agree about the working lines versus show lines with regard to temperament. (I just agreed with someone else here today who had mentioned that.) From what I've seen and from everything I've learned, the working lines DO tend to be more stable. Not that there aren't wonderful show line GSDs. There are. But it seems that the working line breeders tend to focus more on temperament and are "better" all-around breeders from square one. The American/American show lines are far more common with the BYB, which (I think) is a huge part of the problem.

#87 ·
But it seems that the working line breeders tend to focus more on temperament and are "better" all-around breeders from square one. The American/American show lines are far more common with the BYB, which (I think) is a huge part of the problem.
Breeders that work and train their dogs will know their lines inside and out. There are indeed some working line dogs that you probably don't want to handle, but an experienced breeder would be upfront with you and if they don't have something that is a good match, they would know where to direct you to.

See, that scares me, that's what holds me back. I don't know that I would rise to the challenge in the training aspect. I am not 100% consistent and some things fall by the wayside with me ... Daisy is easy, she makes me look good :p:
Jo Ellen, I was also hesitant about getting a GSD, but I think that it has to do a lot with its reputation (good and bad). Crazy neighbourhood children are not trying to approach Miya and molest her (which I like).

Jo, I have NEVER, EVER seen a dog more stubborn than my brother's GSD. They even sent their dog away for over a month to a training program. He still has that stubborn streak, and it shows. :p: But, to be fair to their dog, they don't really use the most positive of training methods...I would put up a fight too!
Hardness in temperament is a good and bad thing. A dog that is hard towards the handler can be more forgiving during training if the handler is an amateur and makes mistakes. A dog that is too soft would probably do poorly in protection (actually personal protection dog or Schutzhund (sport)).

Different dogs need different training techniques. My breeder starts all their pups with imprinting by using a clicker. Currently, I am using a clicker to mark her correct behaviour as well. The video below is of my breeder working with a pup.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=gsdayla#p/u/17/cpOxeVlXfd4

#21 ·
I love GSD!.
They are beautiful,loving and intelligent!.
Would own one,in a heartbeat and absolutly love LH,GSD!.
If they come from a good breeder,they are amazing dogs but that's good for any breed!.
Titus'best buddy,is a GSD called Hammer and I could steal him!.
Sadly enough,her owner knows where I live!.

#22 ·
My parents raised German Shepherds for many many years when I was a kid (eons ago) and I love the breed as a whole. I think given their power and intelligence they are not for everyone, but in the right hands with training and love, a well bred GSD makes a wonderful pet. When our kids were younger we had a gorgeous male named Bear and he was a fantastic dog. He adored our three boys and when we took them all out for a walk, he herded them to make sure no one got away!

#23 ·
That's funny that GSDs are lumped into the same category as pitbulls (to me) because I have never heard of it.

Around my parts, and as I was growing up, we rarely heard of dangerous GSDs or agressive ones unless they are/were specifically trained to do that job. Police dogs (trained), guard dogs (trained). I see a GSD and I don't automatically think "danger", but if I see a Pitbull I first think "danger" until he shows me otherwise, and even then, because of all the stories about pitbulls, I may not give him a chance to prove himself. Yes, I'm very sorry to say I'm prejudiced... what I prefer saying is "I tend to learn from other people's mistakes."

So I voted for I think the second one? GSD's are great, and there are some bad apples like in every other breed (something like that LOL)

#70 ·
White GSDs are a result of a recessive genetics and are not part of the GSD standard (SV - the organization for GSDs in Germany) and would be disqualified from conformation, so some white GSD fanciers have started clubs for just the white GSDs. The SV views breedworthiness with a much more strict eye than the AKC or CanKC. You need to have a working title, the AD (12 mi endurance test), a breed survey, and clearances for hips and elbow.

Yeah, those hips bother me. If it wasn't for that darn slope...
You are thinking of conformation lines...Working line breeders highly value the structure of the dog and a dog that walks on its hocks and pasterns would not be able to work. Breeding for extreme angulation for a "flying trot" and black and tan colours only has been a detriment to the breed

How would a person go about getting a "good" german shepherd?

Do they play like regular dogs? Can you play tug with them? Do they sit next to you and cuddle maybe or do they sit across the room and watch you? Would they sleep in your bedroom or downstairs by the front door?

I have so many questions! :)
Ask lots of questions, find a GSD forum to talk to GSD owners, contact the United Schutzhund Club of America and contact breeders to talk to from the breeder directory. It took me over 8 months to find a breeder I liked and I have constant support from them even if they are in Chicago, IL and I'm in Alberta, Canada.

Miya is a busy busy girl and doesn't sit still for long unless she is occupied with a bone or toy or obedience. I have her sleeping in a crate in my room so that she is bonding with us even while we sleep, but the crate helps keep her out of trouble because she likes to chew.

You sometimes luck out and get a mellow one like Jenna's or you get one that is higher energy and drive. I'm thinking of participating in Schutzhund with the help of a trainer we have been seeing privately and I have been teaching my pup to play tug. She also knows to "out" her toy when I ask her to, and it is a good outlet for her energy. Miya is smart as a whip and it gets her into trouble sometimes LOL!

Here's a link to her breeder: http://www.kulladogs.com Bill is a UScA teaching helper at the national level and both he and his wife train their dogs, title their dogs and hold back a pup every so often to see how the lines develop.

#27 ·
I love GSD's...well most. :)

My grandpa had a white GSD when I was growing up. This GSD made me truly fall in love with dogs. He was a phenomenal, phenomenal dog.

My brother has a GSD. He's beautiful, strong headed, intelligent, and slightly anxious. I personally think he just doesn't get enough exercise. Vito cannot keep up, and frankly does not appreciate, his rough play. It's been hard...kind of a divide because their dog is so rough with Vito. :(

I had NEVER met an aggressive GSD until the other day at the park. I came in with Vito and this GSD was playing fetch with his owner. I let Vito off lead and right away this GSD comes straight for him pummeling Vito to the ground as he growled and lunged at him. Vito scrambled fast enough to his feet and the GSD was RIGHT over him immediately. Luckily, his owner grabbed him before anything else happened. I clipped Vito up and left right away. It was scary.

#29 ·
I can't choose one of the options, because it seems to me that with this breed, it depends so much on the individual dog. I think they are beautiful and have met some very lovely GSDs. I have also encountered some very scary GSDs. I know they aren't the breed for me - I love my goofy goldens!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.