Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DH just asked what I thought of him taking Koda with him when he goes fishing. They have a fishing boat (him and his dad) and since he wants to fish more this year he wants to bring Koda along as something they can do together. I suggested taking her out on the boat for a "cruise" and see how she does. If she can calm down enough that he doesn't have to occupy her 24/7 it would be great. I also suggested he could bring a Kong or something to occupy her for a while but that she would LOVE to be outside like that. Plus they can go swimming in the lake when they are done. She is a chicken though so I dont think she would jump off the boat.

Anyways..wanted to see if any of you take your dogs fishing on the boat and what your experiences were or if you have any suggestions..?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yes, but all three have been riding in the boat since they were puppies (and it's a pontoon boat). Jasper is the only one who isn't terribly keen on it, but I tried to leave him with my mom one time and she said he cried the entire time we were gone, so he comes along, too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I take my girls fishing at least once a week, I've been taking them since they were 3 months old so they could get accustomed to the boat ride. They really love the water, I would suggest getting Koda a life jacket. Be sure and tell you DH he's not going to get a whole lot of fishing done on the first few trips. lol

It's fun

Mike

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Mine fish.

·
207 Posts
Many years ago, we took our first Golden, Whitney, on the Hillsborough River in Tampa, FL. He saw a manatee. Boy did he get excited. It was hilarious. I'd like to have a boat to take Watt and Sonny fishing.

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
We don't fish, but Eleanor certainly boats and kayaks with us. It took her a while to get used to the boat, but she loves it. I would also recommend a life jacket just in case. Ours also has a handle on it so that you can pull her back onto the boat if she jumps over.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
Dexter has been on the boat since he was probably 3-4 months old. He LOVES it. I think he'd try to jump off if I didn't keep him on the leash though. I think Koda would be okay as long as he keeps an eye on her. He should take her out for a ride first before taking her and keeping her out there for an extended period of time..just to see how she does.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Been fishing in the canoe with mine for a long time, never had a problem.

But...beware those hooks/lures. I was walking with a friend once when her Bloodhound grabbed a fisherman's lure when he was casting from shore. I reacted fast and cut his line, calmed the dog and got the lure out.

Your DH may consider crimping the barbs on the hooks. If a barbed hook sinks in deep, you've got a problem.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. We will be going to get her a life jacket before he heads out for sure - thanks for that tip! :) She was on the boat when she was 11 weeks old quite a bit during the week. She was pretty good, she was on our lap at that point but when we put her on the floor she would walk around and always fall asleep (something about the vibrations). She was on a pontoon once too during that trip. She loved that as well! :) I think this will be somethign the two of them will definitely enjoy!

Good pointer about the hooks too!!

Here is a picture of her and I on the pontoon last summer (ignore how disgusting I look lol)

koda on boat.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
One photo is the dogs watching a stringer of fish tied off the end of our raft. Another is my husband casting while the dogs watch. They are tied in the raft. The third one is me casting while the dogs watch, again they are tied to the raft. The last one is the dogs waiting to exit the raft while the guys are fishing.

We have to tie our dogs down when we first leave the shore and when we are casting. They get so excited. They also will chase after fish if we catch and release.

Their favorite snack is dead salmon carcasses which are everywhere on the river. Crunch crunch!

Attachments

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Fishing is one of the primary reasons I went with Golden's...they love the water and they love boats...

Woody patiently waiting for dad to let him go ashore...

Size of the boat doesn't seem to matter...

A boat ladder comes in handy for helping them come aboard...

They make themselves right at home...

They'll even help you catch the fish..

A life jacket is a very good idea not only for safety but it also comes in handy with getting the dog back into the boat...

Pete

Reactions: newport

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Jack goes fishing with us whenever we go.Just keep an eye the bait(he loves squid) & make he doesn't think the lure should be retrived.We do have to get out at a sand island a few times a day so he can do his business

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
my husband and I lived in Ketchum Idaho for 10 years and fished all the time with our two Irish Setters. My husband would float around in a pond by our house full of fat wild brook trout in his inner tube and fly fish. The Irish setters would one at a time float around with him lying across his lap on the inner tube while my husband cast his line over their heads. They loved it! I would just fish from shore with a bobber. Oh the wonderful memories of Ketchum Idaho and being 20 something again!:)

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.

Here is a picture of her and I on the pontoon last summer (ignore how disgusting I look lol)

View attachment 109195
She looks like a natural fisherdog...cute pup!!!

Their favorite snack is dead salmon carcasses which are everywhere on the river. Crunch crunch!
Those are wonderful pictures!!! I'd be very careful about letting your dogs eat salmon...salmon poisoning is a very real problem with dogs...you might want to read this link....

Salmon Poisoning Disease

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My girls don't get to go fishing all that much, but they love it when they do get to go. I have to make sure to keep them on the leash at first, but once they remember that they aren't supposed to retrieve the lures, they are fine off leash.

Here's a picture of Ruby wondering why we threw that fish back:

Reactions: fostermom

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
When I am up at the lake by myself I don't take the pontoon out (docking it can be tough because the slip is just a tiny bit wider than the boat), so I do all my fishing off from the dock. The pictures of the goldens looking over the side is exactly what Danny does. He also gets very excited when I catch one, though his favorite part is when I toss them back. He tries to snatch them from the air and then stares at the water for a long time watching for them. It's really funny!

Jasmine used to be my fishing buddy, but she prefers to fish by herself now and will spend hours chasing schools of minnows and small fish around.

Jasper is terrified of my casting, so he tends to hang out up at the house and watch me from there. He got tangled in an electric fence one time and it sounded just like my reel does when I cast, so he stays far away! Poor guy.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Thankfully we don't have salmon poisoning in Alaska. It appears to be a lower 48 issue only. Not sure exactly why. But it is definitely a very real problem down south.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Thankfully we don't have salmon poisoning in Alaska. It appears to be a lower 48 issue only. Not sure exactly why. But it is definitely a very real problem down south.
Something else to add to my list of why I should go to Alaska!!! Yeah it really is a problem down here not only with the salmon but also the trout.
That sure is a pretty area.

Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts