Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm hoping I'm not the only person who does this. Do you put your goldens to bed at night...and in essence, tuck them in?

Mine do not sleep with me upstairs. They have the whole first floor at night. But even if they are asleep before I go up to bed, as soon as I start my evening routine (turning off lights, locking doors, etc.)...they go to what I call their beddy-time spots. Then they curl up and wait their turn for me to come over to them, hug them, kiss them, sing them their little song (yes, they each have a short little ditty) and then I go to bed.

If they are awake, I can say "time for bed team" and they take their spots. I had a houseguest the other day and they have no animals and were amazed by this. I didn't find it all that unique.

Anybody else have a similar night time ritual?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Flip sleeps in his crate, so I have to put him in there (he has never gone in on his own). Annabel and Colby sleep with me, and as soon as I start turning off the lights at night they run to my bedroom door. Conner sleeps in the living room, and I try not to draw his attention to me when I go to bed because I feel bad leaving him behind while he watches his sister and brother come to bed with me.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tucker knows it is bedtime when we say "up up up". He goes and waits for us in the kitchen to go upstairs. He doesn't get tucked in, but he knows it is time to settle down.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just tell cooper to 'go home' , and he goes and lays down in his crate, then i give him kisses and tell him good night. i cant do that with my chihuahua because if i bend over her crate she pees. So only Cooper gets a "good night" routine. =(

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
The dogs are pretty much always waiting for us on the bed by the time we decide it's bedtime. They love their sleep!! Both of them lie in between Kev and I and get lots of kisses and cuddles - but once the cuddles end, Bailey heads down to her crate where she spends the night. We took the door off because it was sticking out into the room and annoying - but she still stays in there all night, every night.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Well my crew know's the words "ok let's go", mine split into two..Chloe and Sadie sleep downstairs on the couch (girls:confused:), Jack and Chewie are ready to go upstairs soonest I hit the first step.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ours still get crated at night...I'm really anxiously awaiting the day we don't have to do that anymore, but both girls love their crates and most nights around 9:30 or so they will both go to their crates and stare at us until we let them in.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Caleb gets a kong with a handful of kibble each night at bed time. If my hubby and I stay up too late, Caleb will stand in the hallway and give us a very pointed look until we go to bed. Then he runs into his crate and lies down for his kong.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs are almost always asleep before I am. DH works overnights and I stay up really late since I work late and both Tucker and Kodi are out light lights well before I go to bed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes, Duffy knows "crate time" and runs over when I tell him that! He loves going in his crate at night (especially because he gets a treat when he goes in).

Teddy sleeps in my bed, I tell him "let's go to bed" and he runs into the bedroom.

I am sad thinking about this -- my rat terrier, Toby, who was pts in October - at about 11 pm he would sit and stare at me and quietly whine. He would not go to sleep until I did and when he was tired and ready he would get a little crabby about it and try to tell me 'come on, already!'

Kris

·
Retired Apache Pilot
40 Posts
Loves to sleep in

Sergeant knows when we start turning out the lights at night, it is bedtime. All we say is, "It's Bedtime" and he runs to the bedroom and sleeps on the floor or in his bed.

Now in the morning, he usually sleeps in 30 minutes after we have gotten up. For a 7 month old, he is just like a teenager! I have to leave for work by 8 am, and there are times I have to force him to get up in the mornings. Sometimes he does not get to eat breakfast until I get him to doggie day-care.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Obi and Izzie's beds are downstairs. They have plastic beds with foam pads and old duvets with vetbed over the top. Izzie likes to 'dig' her bed up, so I am often found fluffing up the duvet and making the beds before they go in for the night....

They will very often be asleep in the lounge and have to be woken up at bedtime. If the door is open, very often they will take themselves off to their beds. They have never slept upstairs, in our house, it is a dog free zone!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
are bedtimes are not the same. I tend to be asleep before them and by husband goes to sleep around 11.

They do sometimes wake at 2am to play...they bring me toys and sit on me.

·
Kristy
9,939 Posts
How funny to hear what everyone's routine is :) Duncan doesn't have one yet, so far it's me trying to get him to play just a little more and him trying to crawl into my lap to snooze!

Baxter used to get a chewie as soon as the kids went to bed and as soon as he'd finish, he'd go outside one last time and then get his stuffed "moose", start whining and carrying on, circle the living room once and head up the stairs to his crate.... when we didn't follow he would come crashing down the stairs... circle and repeat. Like clockwork...

It's funny what makes you feel like crying....

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Daisy tucks me in at night :) She's not one to sleep on my bed (when I'm in it :uhoh: ) but she does get up for a few minutes and I pet her or massage her ears, talk to her. When I'm ready to go to sleep, I turn over and she gets down to sleep beside my bed. In the mornings, she's always on the other side of my bed, waiting for me to wake up.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Cocasse will start to sleep downstairs before I go up. I then tell him to go outside for the last pee of the day and then I tell him "sleeping" and he follows me upstairs. When I first got him he was afraid of getting in the bed but now he will jump up when invited for a some hugs/kisses and then he jumps off to his own bed. I just love this dog!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
The boys come to bed with me. If it's really chilly, Jasmine will come back and ask to be boosted up on the bed, too. Then they tend to play musical beds all night long, sometimes cuddling two to a dog bed. If it's really cold, they tend to stay in bed as long as they possibly can. Jasper usually stays the longest, even though he has the heaviest coat.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey is an early sleeper and is out like a light every night by 7:30pm. She will sleep until 7am the next morning. It's very nice that she is a good sleeper. We do not crate her anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our 14 month old Trinian sleeps next to the bed. Our Yellow Labrador, Sunny ( 9 years old)
and has achey hips in this winter weather sleeps in bed with us. But, if it gets cool for Trinian ( the Golden) he cimbs in bed with all of us.
The one thing I am happy for snow is that the rocks are covered !
Yeah, he ate a rock. That was one expensive rock and we are hoping that by spring ( in June?) he will have forotten his rock interests.
I can't remember a time when I spept without dog dreaming running on my legs at night !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts