Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
My post isn't off center. It's simply a question about whether or not people OFA dogs that are purely pets, not show dogs and not hunters.
Apologies, my intent is not to discount your post. As a fellow pet owner, I simply was shredding your question (vocational hazard) into what I perceived as two contained questions. Namely, (1) should pet-only owners do the same levels of testing that is done with show dogs, hunters, potential breeders, etc., and (2) if pet-only owners do the testing, is there value/desire to post results to OFA.

As @ArkansasGold has indicated, not all pet-only owners may see the value in getting the clearances done. I happen to perceive value in both having the testing done, and in posting results (irrespective of pass/fail status) to sites like OFA and K9Data.

Cheers!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think in the UK that the BVA does hip clearances, but the dog has to be anaethestised, or under very heavy sedation for the hip xrays?
So as the owner of a neutered pet, although I'd like to participate in the collection of data for the welfare of the breed, I'm not sure I'd be prepared to proactively put Scott - who currently shows no hip (or other) joint issues - through a general anaesthetic just for that purpose.
I guess if he had to be sedated or anaethestised for something else (and I had the wherewithal and money to pay for the x-rays and the assessment) I might.
How is it in the US? Is it different?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think in the UK that the BVA does hip clearances, but the dog has to be anaethestised, or under very heavy sedation for the hip xrays?
So as the owner of a neutered pet, although I'd like to participate in the collection of data for the welfare of the breed, I'm not sure I'd be prepared to proactively put Scott - who currently shows no hip (or other) joint issues - through a general anaesthetic just for that purpose.
I guess if he had to be sedated or anaethestised for something else (and I had the wherewithal and money to pay for the x-rays and the assessment) I might.
How is it in the US? Is it different?
Others can speak, from experience, to the need for anesthesia to obtain x-rays for the OFA hip/elbow assessments, but my understanding is that it may not be necessary. Personally, we are anticipating having our golden spayed in the upcoming month, and are specifically having the spay performed at a facility that can concurrently perform the necessary radiology for PennHIP assessments. So, as you've indicated, we're piggy-backing the PennHIP on another procedure that will already require our golden to be anesthetized.

As an aside, we are doing the PennHIP "out of curiosity" to see how it aligns to a future OFA hip assessment, for which we do not anticipate anesthesia to be required.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That makes sense.
Does it mean you'll need to wait til 2yrs old to spay Kona, so hip xrays can be done at the same time?
No criticism, just curious.
:)

·
Registered
847 Posts
That makes sense.
Does it mean you'll need to wait til 2yrs old to spay Kona, so hip xrays can be done at the same time?
No criticism, just curious.
:)
No. We decided to spay Kona sometime after 12 months of age and at least one heat cycle. "12 months" occurred last November, 1st heat cycle in December, and we meet with the surgeon this month. Hopefully, spay will be early February. At that time, we will also have PennHIP done on Kona's hips.

After Kona turns two (2), we will then follow up with OFA clearances.

Note: While OFA will accept the PennHIP scores, OFA considers them "preliminary" (although PennHIP does not make this distinction), and will display the PennHIP score until after Kona turns two (2).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you.
So does the OFA clearance require a second set of x-rays at 2yrs? After PennHIP?

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Not in the UK... but my dog was not anesthetized for her hips or elbows. Both were done by extremely experienced (radiologists? techs? vets?) who were able to place the dog well. For elbows, I was in the room and part of the process (wearing a heavy lead covering) to help hold Shala and keep her still. It may be worth looking around, asking around, to see if there are clinics that don't put the dogs under for them.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Others can speak, from experience, to the need for anesthesia to obtain x-rays for the OFA hip/elbow assessments, but my understanding is that it may not be necessary.
Lana did not need to be sedated for her OFA hips and elbows. I asked if Lana caused trouble back there (cause she's a typical golden super happy to see people and super wiggly) and the tech told me that she was an angel and that if they can manage to x-ray giant breeds like mastiffs without sedation, a little ole golden isn't going to be a problem.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts