Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get when people opt to microchip their golden(s). I understand the pros of implementing microchip, but I simply can't stand it. Dogs are living beings afterall, and I am sure they don't like some tracking device implemented under their skin. What do you think?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
What do you mean, they don't like it? I'm having Tess microchipped coming Monday, because I think that is safer for her (and my state of mind). I'm sure it will hurt a bit to put in, but afterwards she won't know it's there, in my opinion.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Yeppers.....My Chester is mirochipped and Murphy will be. I guess until they can learn how to speak english I want every possible way to track them if they ever get lost. Collars and names tags just aren't enough anymore.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I just don't get when people opt to microchip their golden(s). I understand the pros of implementing microchip, but I simply can't stand it. Dogs are living beings afterall, and I am sure they don't like some tracking device implemented under their skin. What do you think?
Well, even if they COULD understand what being tracked meant...

:uhoh:

... I'm sure they would like getting lost, injured, stolen, etc... even less than being chipped and tracked.

:uhoh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did. I would just be heart broken if Murphy was lost or stolen. Our vet told me that 5 years ago they only had about 1 or 2 dogs per year brought in by people that had found them, wanting to get it checked for a chip and there by locate the owners. But now he says that they get 2 or 3 a month. So I thought that I would hate it if he was lost and could be id'd but wasn't able to. Plus I know a lady who had her dog stolen but returned from almost 500 miles away, when the new owner took it into their vet and the chip showed up. New owners had bought the dog for a pretty penny, but had no idea it was stolen. But I do understand why some people don't like them. I was not totally comfortable with it myself. I fear next it will be people being chipped. But I don't believe that dogs know that they are being tracked. Mine doesn't even know his is there, and it was put in at the same time he was neutered. So he didn't even feel it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
my lab and my golden are both chipped and my beagle will be chipped as soon as i have some extra cash. I'm pretty sure my dogs don't care, and neither flinched when it was implanted. They flinch more when I clip their toenails. I don't know and reason why people WOULDN'T microchip. Its just another insurance policy to get your dog home if they get lost.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I'm on board with everyone else posting so far. My dog is microchipped and I have no qualms about it. It doesn't bother him, and I'm sure he would be more than happy to come back home to me if he was ever stolen or lost with no tags!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Yep..I'm with everyone else...both of my puppies were microchipped when they were neutered so they didn't feel a thing. The thought of my babies being lost and stuck in a shelter with no means of identification doesn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the pros, as I said earlier. But it just doesn't make me want to implement the microchip...:(

·
Registered
508 Posts
it's no worse than circumcision and we do that to most boys when they are babies. If that baby could make the desision he would surely pick the micro chip!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Mojo was chipped and tattooed when he was neutered. We opted for both because I also worry about them being taken somewhere that doesn't have a scanner. He's registered with the National Dog Registry.

It's not red like that anywhere. That was the day it was done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All our dogs are microchip. We have it done when they are spayed/neutered. Our vet charges $10 to do it and I like the piece of mind that if they get lost and if they lose their collar the microchip is one more way of finding them.

Now our microchips are not a tracking device like GPS, when it's scanned by a vet or shelter the scanner will read the info on it and then they will be able to contact us.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
They are living beings, but they are dogs and not people. They are probably more inconvenienced by wearing a collar than having a chip that, once implanted, they can't feel.

I did chip Scout within a few days of getting her at around 8 weeks old. And guess what? She wasn't even phased by that big needle, the vet was surprised!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
The chip does not TRACK the dog. It's not Doggy LoJack. It's just a permanent source of ID that cannot be lost or easily removed like a collar.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Of course I do.

I'm sorry, but if you think dogs "know" what a microchip is and don't like having something like that "in them" then you don't know much about dogs!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
The chip does not TRACK the dog. It's not Doggy LoJack. It's just a permanent source of ID that cannot be lost or easily removed like a collar.
True true! Though if they had the option of being trackable I would probably sign-up! Can't imagine losing your dog and never being able to find them again...

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I understand the pros, as I said earlier. But it just doesn't make me want to implement the microchip...:(

Well I look at somewhat like this.

Due to the chance of a heart attack due to the nature of my heart I have an implanted defibrillator/pacemaker. Some feel that it may not be needed as I could always be defibrillated by an external machine but I feel safer having mine with me all the time.
Due to the chance of my dog getting lost due to the nature of dogs in general I have implanted a microhip in them. Some may feel it may not be needed as they coulld always be located in other ways but I feel they are safer with a microchip that can allways be traced back to me.

Not the best analogy I admit, but it is the way I feel on the subject.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
it's no worse than circumcision and we do that to most boys when they are babies. If that baby could make the desision he would surely pick the micro chip!
A microchip is harmless and does good. Circumcision is barbaric, and for no purpose (it's a myth that it has any health benefits that would even BEGIN to justify such mutilation). I definitely agree that infants do not enjoy having a functional piece of their bodies cut off for no reason!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts