Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for dog games and ran across this scary old thread about dogs being strangled by their collars

I just had a discussion with my neighbor about leaving collars on or not. When Rukie plays with his friend I think about jaws getting stuck under collars although it hasn't happened. He wears a snap on collar and I'm not sure if that's the same as a breakaway. I know not to leave it on in the crate. What do you usually do, collar or no collar when out of a crate?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,511 Posts
Nope. For saftey I do not leave a collar on even in the car. It is only on when walking away from home. I also don't leave the collar on so it doesn't "break" the coat as in leave a ring around the neck.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No, we don't leave Luna's collar on. I've read about tragedies happening in crates and while playing with other dogs so we only put her collar on when we're taking her out and about.

When she was really little I was super paranoid and would only put safety break away collars on her. The store bought ones were crappy but I found a good quality one on Etsy. It had a nice double d ring to attach a leash to when needed so she couldn't just snap the collar open if she happened to pull on her leash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The common purpose of wearing a collar is to prevent our pup from approaching others, unwanted behaviors, or missing. Therefore, I don't keep my dog on a collar or leash when he is at home or within my controllable areas. Of course, I could use the collar and leash for certain training such as heel training, leash training, and potty training at home or in the yard.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Rukie will now be mostly collarless.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
No collars for us either. They hang (with leashes) next to the door. My car is too small for crates (never use collars in crates) so everyone must sit when I lift the hatch door to have their collars slipped on for walks, shopping or vet visits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was searching for dog games and ran across this scary old thread about dogs being strangled by their collars

I just had a discussion with my neighbor about leaving collars on or not. When Rukie plays with his friend I think about jaws getting stuck under collars although it hasn't happened. He wears a snap on collar and I'm not sure if that's the same as a breakaway. I know not to leave it on in the crate. What do you usually do, collar or no collar when out of a crate?
I too never leave a collar on our boy when he is in the yard (fenced in back yard) or around the house or in the crate. I especially don't leave a collar on when he is playing with his canine pals. Our next door neighbor allowed their puppy to play with another puppy in the neighborhood with the collar on. They walked away for about 10 minutes and that was all it took for the one guy to get the collar of his dog caught in her teeth and an intense struggle began. Needless to say it was a tragic lesson for my neighbor as his dog did not make it. (awful...). NEVER will I allow that to happen to our baby.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never in our house or fenced-in yard. On walks we just use his harness. Crispin has allergies and his dermatologist suggested that it might be itchy, ditto the harness, but since I would not say that he never, ever pulls--although it's increasingly rare--the harness is much safer for his neck.

In the car he wears just his harness, because it's part of his seat belt setup. We don't use a crate.

Yes to the collar in the dog park and in play group. Not that Crispin plays much--he's seven, but he loves being around other dogs, and really mopes if he doesn't get a dose of other dogs every day. I used to think he'd age out of that, but...no.

It is a cloth collar with a plastic piece that snaps together that I thought could instantly be removed. I hope? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because he could always wear his harness instead in those places, and I could just carry his dog park tag.

I thought the harness was more uncomfortable for him to run around and hang out in, and frankly, in both places there is a need to be able to grab your dog in an emergency (like, a scuffle erupts on a crowded day, and you want to get him out of there).

I used to schedule play dates for him with just one other dog in our fenced yard, and he would wear no collar, but that was when he was young and playful. What he likes now is to be around a bunch of dogs and just hang out on the fringes, sometimes interacting, sometimes just sniffing, playing with a toy with one of us, etc.

But the other dogs are key.

I witnessed a near-tragedy in the dog park where a dog with a choke collar (or maybe a it was a prong collar--it was metal and there was no easy way to get it off) had another dog put his muzzle inside that collar--it was awful and seemed endless while the owners struggled to free the poor dogs, one of whom was being choked and the other's muzzle was being hurt--but somehow they did get the dogs free. Never, ever in a million years would I use one of those awful collars on Crispin.

Would appreciate comments on the safety of the cloth collar with plastic snap that seems very easy to remove. Am I wrong, and should we be using his harness instead in these situations?

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
This thread has been helpful in us deciding to remove Oskie's collar when in the house. I think he likes it well enough being off, and it is really nice to see him in just fur!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts