Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do you kiss your dog or let him lick your face??

• Yes! He is part of the family!

Votes: 129 83.2%
  • Just sometimes but ewww bluuk !!

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • No.

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Other (tell us below...)

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since joining the forum a month ago I have been quite active... I am currently off work in convalescence for an illness so I have quite a bit of time on my hands. Today Buddy came over and gave me a rare "kiss" .. well let's say a load of slobbery licks all over my face ... which is so rare for him. He likes to be with me at all times but he is not a kiss and cuddler! I was so happy that he wanted to show his affection for once... and it got me thinking..
Do you kiss or let your dog kiss/lick your face? I have always been cool with our previous dogs licking, even around the children. Although I know this is controversial, in my 50 years of growing up with and living with dogs I have never had a problem. My good friend has a beautiful Australian Shepherd and they have a strict "NO LICKING Policy ever! anywhere! on humans!" in place in their house. Where do you stand?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ben licks... he starts with either my ear or eye. Then because I'm follicularly challenged he then works his way all over my head as well...

I was alway under the assumption that dog saliva contains some healing thingys, dunno if it's true or not
Dog saliva has healing powers: Fact or myth? | HellaWella

But everytime I face him, he won't lick me and just turns his head away. I always have to pull his head in to get a kiss...

If anyone has any body language links for this I'd interested

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I let Thor lick my face. I even taught him the command "kiss". I have a good friend who allowed her golden to lick her baby, which he did a lot, as if he was trying to encourage hair growth on the unfortunate hairless pup. That is one of the healthiest kids I've ever known, now in his teens.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben licks... he starts with either my ear or eye. Then because I'm follicularly challenged he then works his way all over my head as well...

I was alway under the assumption that dog saliva contains some healing thingys, dunno if it's true or not
Dog saliva has healing powers: Fact or myth? | HellaWella

But everytime I face him, he won't lick me and just turns his head away. I always have to pull his head in to get a kiss...

If anyone has any body language links for this I'd interested
You have just brought back fond memories for me. I grew up in a poor part of London in the 60s.. times were hard. Whenever I or my brothers fell over and grazed our knees or arms I remember my sturdy grandma would always go and fetch whatever poor Mutt she happened to find in her garden and bring him in to lick us better! She swore by it. No antiseptic and plasters in those days!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Do you let your dog kiss you mouth or lick your face??!!

Yes. They both lick my face. Sometimes they manage to get past my lips and lick my mouth (which is a bit much for me). But my favorite part of the day is when I come home and Bear does his figure 8's between my legs out of excitement before finally settling into a sit on my foot and leaning back as I lean over him and him kiss my face and nibble on my chin as I whisper my affections to him and rub his chest/belly.

It's also lovely when I've had a long day on my feet, to come home and lay on the sofa with Bear and he likes to lick my feet. Pretty good foot rub, to be honest.

And yet his breath doesn't smell. Must be all the veggies he eats. :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let Thor lick my face. I even taught him the command "kiss". I have a good friend who allowed her golden to lick her baby, which he did a lot, as if he was trying to encourage hair growth on the unfortunate hairless pup. That is one of the healthiest kids I've even known, now in his teens.
That made me giggle. My new mission is to teach the kiss trick!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. They both lick my face. Sometimes they manage to get past my lips and lick my mouth (which is a bit much for me). But my favorite part of the day is when I come home and Bear does his figure 8's between my legs out of excitement before finally settling into a sit on my foot and leaning back as I lean over him and him kiss my face and nibble on my chin as I whisper my affections to him and rub his chest/belly.

It's also lovely when I've had a long day on my feet, to come home and lay on the sofa with Bear and he likes to lick my feet. Pretty good foot rub, to be honest.

And yet his breath doesn't smell. Must be all the veggies he eats. :)
OK now I'm jealous. Buddy is one of those cool stoic standofish types! Except when there's steak around. Then he gets friendly!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
OK now I'm jealous. Buddy is one of those cool stoic standofish types! Except when there's steak around. Then he gets friendly!

Don't be jealous. Over-friendly and over-excited has its draw backs. Getting him to sit politely for a petting is like pulling teeth. He does good for a second and then he gets up and crowds people. Because pets make him extra happy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
One of our boys will always lick my face when I doing a "kissy" sound, but he mostly turns away if I am face to face with him, just like Marcus described! Apparently most dogs don't like full on eye contact or hugs so I guess its just that.
Whereas our adopted boy will gaze at me in the eye for so long. He will lick me everywhere else, but he won't lick my face!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fionn is our first "licker". While I prefer he avoid my mouth, it's hard to restrain his enthusiasm :yuck:. He gets lots of kisses in return! This is his going home pic kissing my daughter.
Trevor Going Home_DSC_2825.jpg

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotta ask! For the 27 of you who say yes! You do know that dogs also lick their rear ends and privates....before they lick your lips....?

To each his/her own, I guess....Yech!
Timely your comment! As one of the 30+ people who said "yes" I do manage to "conveniently zone out" what dogs get up to before kissing us. Having said that, a few days ago on our walk I had to pull Buddy off from devouring something really unspeakably rotten. I wanted to "wash his mouth out with soap" as my Mum used to say. As a serious question here... Is there anything that we can and should squirt in a dogs mouth in cases like this? For their own and our benefit!!!!?? (He was on a no kissing ban for 24 hours and stuffed with those green chewie teeth things!)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts