Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the help so far! I received info from this breeder (Rockin' Roll Retrievers https://www.rockinrollretrievers.co...EmRe17Lp8rkuWkon-SUExopcxWBy9lF3lynPXljcpx_bs) and with the limited amount of knowledge I have picked up from all of you, they look good. What do your expert eyes see that I am missing?

To note what I think looks good based on what I have learned from you:
1. OFA eyes, heart, NCL(?)
2. Ichthyosis is clear
3. They only have 3 dogs so it doesn't seem like they are a puppy mill
4. It seems like their dogs are truly part of their family and not just a money-making endeavor

What do you all think? Thank you so much again for your help!

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,894 Posts
The dam has no hip or elbow clearances on OFA, though since she turned 2 in March perhaps it's just a delay in posting (maybe). https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2023209. Her K9Data page shows an alleged PennHip clearance for hips. Not something I'd rely on. And the results aren't great. Scores of less than 0.3 are passing, if I recall. These are around 0.45. Still no elbow clearance of any kind, which usually indicates failure. Pedigree: Noelle Winter Rose. At 78 lbs, the dam is over the weight limit significantly, even over the weight limit for males. So she's either too big for the standard or she's fat.

The sire supposedly has FCI hip rating of excellent. I'm personally skeptical of these claims.

They do a bunch of testing, so that's good. I'm not thrilled with the reported results and sources, though.

This is yet another "English Cream" breeder. You can find lots of threads about that marketing gimmick on this forum.

I personally am not impressed with this breeder. She doesn't compete with her dogs, and there are suspect and missing clearances. But she does extensive testing, so I'd call her a "B list" breeder. Good luck.

·
Jennifer
144 Posts
I also noticed the weight of their goldens. I wondered if they got it mixed up. Their two females weigh 78 lbs. and their one male weighs 65 lbs. Seems it should be the other way around.

I definitely would not buy a puppy from this breeder for the same reasons Dana wrote. The area code for their phone number is 901, which is in the Memphis area. I'd recommend you look at Cobblestone Goldens in the Memphis area. The owners of Cobblestone are wonderful as are their goldens. They do complete clearances, compete in various venues, and do an outstanding job raising the puppies.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
For me it would be a no. The dad’s hip and elbow results are very underage even for his country of birth. The Ukraine’s standard would be 12 months but he is in the US and should have been tested at 24 months. Instead, it appears his Ukrainian breeder did preliminary tests at 7 months old as part of his pre-export sale. Then the owner in the US is trying to pass these off as appropriately tested hips and elbows, they are not. In fact on K9Data the moderators have had to go in and remove the preliminary results but the owners keep putting it back in as a misleading record. I would not be surprised if this dog’s status eventually gets locked.

The mom is missing any elbow testing. Her PennHIP scores are below the breeding recommended .54 but they were also done under age. Her heart certification is deficient because it was not performed by a cardiologist.

This is a great example of the very common issues you are likely to find when you are looking for breeders that are focused on an extreme trait solely. You would be more likely to find full and verifiable health certifications if you looked for a breeder that competes with their dogs. Honestly, I keep track and breeders who use the term “English Cream” are averaging only 5% of the time to have the appropriate health certifications when I look.

Below are the annotations and I included an example dog to show PennHIP can be appropriately used.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dam has no hip or elbow clearances on OFA, though since she turned 2 in March perhaps it's just a delay in posting (maybe). https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2023209. Her K9Data page shows an alleged PennHip clearance for hips. Not something I'd rely on. And the results aren't great. Scores of less than 0.3 are passing, if I recall. These are around 0.45. Still no elbow clearance of any kind, which usually indicates failure. Pedigree: Noelle Winter Rose. At 78 lbs, the dam is over the weight limit significantly, even over the weight limit for males. So she's either too big for the standard or she's fat.

The sire supposedly has FCI hip rating of excellent. I'm personally skeptical of these claims.

They do a bunch of testing, so that's good. I'm not thrilled with the reported results and sources, though.

This is yet another "English Cream" breeder. You can find lots of threads about that marketing gimmick on this forum.

I personally am not impressed with this breeder. She doesn't compete with her dogs, and there are suspect and missing clearances. But she does extensive testing, so I'd call her a "B list" breeder. Good luck.
Thank you so much, Dana!! It's sad how hard it is to find a good breeder who responds to inquiries :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts