Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi :wavey:,

We have a dog sitter that comes in to take care of our 3 pets on the days that we work. She feeds our 6 mo. GR puppy (we are weaning her off of this meal), and plays with our 3 for 1/2 hour. Do any of you have a dog sitter and will you keep them after your puppy is a year? How much do you pay a week, if you don't mind answering this.
I feel that it is important to have someone come in mid-day when we are at work. Thanks so much.....

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
My parents and brother are my pet sitters. Free of charge.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Yes...

My husband is retired and I work part-time from home. But we traveled in October and will again. We used a house-sitter/pet-sitter plus a pet-sitter when we were away in the fall and will again. (The house sitter has a day job so she is away from our house all day and the pet sitter comes during the day to walk and play with Maisie.)

We pay the house sitter who is a family friend a daily rate -- I'll have to check it. The dog-sitter comes for an hour at $20 per hour. When I checked with services and others who offered weekly rates, they were lower, ranging from $15 -$18 per hour. But I really likes this energetic young woman whose "day job" is as a personal trainer and who has two large breed dogs of her own, one a 2 year old Lab, and I didn't need someone for a whole week or on a regular basis.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife and I are paying the neighbor's kids to come over 3x a day to let out our 8 week old puppy and feed him lunch. While they are at it they also let out our 1 yr old goldendoodle. But after the puppy is older and is weened off the lunch meal we wont need the girls to come to let them out since he probably will be able to hold his bladder for 8-9 hrs while we are at work.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We never had a dogsitter even when I worked. I was lucky enough to be home when our dogs were puppies though. For traveling we have used a family member as well as kennels.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Yes - I have had a dogwalker since my girl was a wee puppy. I have always had one because I don't like to leave her for so many hours while I'm at work without a chance to go to the bathroom, and get some playtime.

I have the world's greatest walker (though I may be biased). My dog loves her, and she gives her personal care that goes well beyond the basics. I pay her $17 a day, for a 1/2 hour private walk/play, which is about the going rate in Toronto. My dog used to be part of a group walk and was out for one hour, but as she is older now, I prefer knowing she has one-on-one care, same as she did when she was a puppy.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
We have a dog sitter on the days my mom or my mother in law can't come over. The rate is $25/hour or $18 for a half hour. We are still doing the hour right now. Usually 1-2 times a week. I plan to continue with this, I don't think its fair for them to be alone that long in a day every day. If anything I will keep doing it 2-3 days a week. I love knowing she is getting out, socializing and getting exercise! :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thank you all for your responses! We will probably continue our petsitter even after Amber turns a year old. Amber is in a custom-built 12 x 20 ft. kennel in our basement where she can be safe for now. Next Spring my husband will finish her outside Condo which will have indoor/outdoor access. My Papillon has the downstairs and a doggy door to an all-enclosed kennel outside with a ramp and sundeck. Our 15 yr. old senior adoptee mix has the laundry room and her comfy kennel. We are blessed to have my friend who works at the vet's office come in once a day for 1/2 hour for $25 a day for a 4-day week. :wavey:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts