Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving Murphy bully sticks, but he downs them in no time. Which leaves him bored so he wants to go outside and eat everything in sight (including rocks). That's not ok with me. He has a TON of toys and chew things, but he has no interest in them. I haven't given him rawhide because I read some posts on here that said they aren't good for dogs. But I really need something bigger than a bully stick to occupy his chewing for a while. Does anyone have any ideas? If I give him a big rawhide bone will it hurt him to chew on?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I only give him pressed rawhide - Regular rawhide gives him the runs. I don't give himthe rawhide all the time - I try to stick with hooves and harder things because the other things he kills in about 3 seconds and they don't keep him occupied. He loves pig ears, but he'll be getting fat from them, and again, he blows through them in about 2.3 seconds.

On another note - I have to check into antlers as the above poster suggested.....hmmmm.....

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
The one and only time Sam ever had a rawhide bone was when he snagged one of his littermate's when we were at her house for a playdate. He threw it up shortly after, so I never gave him one.

I think marrow bones (or soup bones, as they are sometimes called at the markets) are a much better and safer option, great for their chewing needs and for teeth cleaning.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I don't give rawhides. I am scared that they will choke on them, and way back when Jasmine was a puppy, she would throw them back up. How about a knuckle bone?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Aren't marrow bones too rich for a puppy like Murphy?

You can scoop most of the marrow out of the bone if you feel its too much. I never did with Sam even when he was younger and even though he has a notoriously finicky tummy, he never had any issues with the marrow.

Or you can usually also find knuckle bones packaged either next to, or together, with the marrow bones. They are just bone, no marrow, usually with a little meat on it still.

·
& Romeo's mom
732 Posts
No, I'm too afraid of him choking on it. I usually stick to pig ears.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra gets rawhide rolls. but only when we are here and able to watch her.
I like the antlers, she can chew and chew and have not had any splinters as with some bones. She has free access to her antlers and can take it or leave it as she pleases.
Karen

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love to get him some antlers, but I don't really know what I'm looking for and what size to get him. He's only about 20 pounds now, but growing fast. I hate to get him antlers that are bigger than him, lol. Any suggestions on where to get one and what size?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No Rawhides in this canine home either! LOL I like to give mine the marrow bones. I haven't tried the antlers as I am afaird they will want to take the ones down off the walls. LOL And Mark would like appercaite that!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My husband has this thing about buying rawhides. Any dog of ours that has eaten a rawhide has gotten such diarrhea. Ugh. I have a big bag of CET chews and my golden loves them--one chew will last an evening. I prefer the CET chews, although I understand some people have had problems with them.

I've also given Mac large knuckle bones, another favorite. She gnaws them until nothing is left!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
No rawhides here, they fight over them, they devour them then they throw them up. Swampcollie feeds them, though and has no problem. It must depend on the dogs.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Marrow bones give my boys diarrhea. I do give rolled rawhide sometimes, watch them like a hawk and they only get half. I don't think I'd give rawhide to a puppy due to their tendency to gulp things down.

Petco/Petsmart have very hard sterilized or even fake bones with filling like cheese. Those seem good for puppies. You need to throw them away if the pup doesn't get the goo out of the middle. It can go bad.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Sierra does not get rawhide I will give her a cow hoove or bones from the butcher. One Christmas my sister gave my dogs rawhide for Christmas. My female did not want to share hers so she swallowed the knuckle part whole and it got stuck in her tummy. The vet said not to give my dogs Rawhide as they don't digest them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts