Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most dogs, Vito looooves to go outside and sniff around. Except whenever he has his nose to the ground, his tail is wagging 90 miles and hour. I think it's so cute...must be some interesting smells!!

Any of your doggies do this?

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
No, but then mine are more likely to do that head and shoulder plunge into the source of the smell and start gleefully rolling :)

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I am not sure I have noticed the tail wag, but Teddi has a NOSE let me tell you. She loves to play blood hound, put her nose to the ground and go! I think she would be good at SAR but not sure I would want to put that stress on her.

Once when she was younger, we went to a woodsy park in the winter. We had Belle and Max off leash but Teddi was on a long leash, we were not sure we could trust her. As we walked she was being SO good, so we decided to let her off too. She was running around, sticking with Belle and Max, all was good. Then we turned around to head back. She caught "our" scent on the trail and TOOK OFF FULL SPEED AHEAD!!! DH took off after her, I called Max and Belle, they stayed with me and I did a lot of laughing!

If she goes for the second walk of our dogs she puts her nose down and follows dog number 1's scent. It can get annoying, you feel like you are walking a vacuum cleaner. LOL

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It must be some interesting smell mail going on in your neighborhood. Bama does that but he wags at everything.

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
Gibby does the happy tail sometimes. It's cute. What's not cute is that sometimes he gets a goooooood sniff, licks it (ewww) and then when he raises his head, his lips are quivering, his eyes look a little crazed, and he even drools a little bit. I think he does it when he's sniffed (or tasted. ewwww) a girl dog's pee. This is a new thing he started doing about a month or two ago. I hate hormones, I swear.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gibby does the happy tail sometimes. It's cute. What's not cute is that sometimes he gets a goooooood sniff, licks it (ewww) and then when he raises his head, his lips are quivering, his eyes look a little crazed, and he even drools a little bit. I think he does it when he's sniffed (or tasted. ewwww) a girl dog's pee. This is a new thing he started doing about a month or two ago. I hate hormones, I swear.
Hahahaha, too funny!!! Vito does the lip quiver too but it's usually when he wants something REALLY bad, like food.

Poor Gibby...all these hormones and he's not sure what to do with them!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts

Sam does the same thing...but its no girl dog's pee.. its DILLONS... males. Can't explain em, can ya?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
What's not cute is that sometimes he gets a goooooood sniff, licks it (ewww) and then when he raises his head, his lips are quivering, his eyes look a little crazed, and he even drools a little bit.
That's Jersey's signature move... luckily he usually responds to "pee or move on," but every once in a while the temptation is too strong. Oh, and he doesn't drool a "little bit," it's more like a waterfall.

For the record, I'm fairly certain that it's not restricted to a female's urine (at least in Jersey's case). He used to do it in the backyard at my house in Indiana... and the only other dog using those facilities was my roommate's dog Gomer (also a male). He's also done it on a lamp post/street sign/tree/something only a male could successfully pee on. NO idea what it is with him.

Julie and Jersey

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
That's Jersey's signature move... luckily he usually responds to "pee or move on," but every once in a while the temptation is too strong. Oh, and he doesn't drool a "little bit," it's more like a waterfall.

For the record, I'm fairly certain that it's not restricted to a female's urine (at least in Jersey's case). He used to do it in the backyard at my house in Indiana... and the only other dog using those facilities was my roommate's dog Gomer (also a male). He's also done it on a lamp post/street sign/tree/something only a male could successfully pee on. NO idea what it is with him.

Julie and Jersey
Once we were walking at the park behind a neighbor who was walking both her girl and boy dogs and they both peed near a trashcan and I did notice that Gibby ignored the male's pee but with the girl's pee, he licked, put on the crazed look and was frozen in place quivering his lips. Which is why I thought it might be just female pees he does this with. But now that I think of it, he did sniff/lick lamp posts a few times, too. The expression is hilarious.

At least Jersey responds to "pee or move on." I don't think Gibby even hears anything when he lifts his head with that quivering lip. :doh:

So is this an intact male thing? It's totally a new behavior. Do you know if they stop doing this after neutering? Like Nicole says, Gibby has a surge of hormones he doesn't know what to do with. I feel almost bad for him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts